Motorcycle Forum banner

I need a Checklist

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  omegajim 
#1 ·
Hi all, I know there has been topics about bikes that sit too long and the best procedures before starting but can't find them. I need a checklist of things to do before attempting to start this bike. I'm not in a rush to ride it, I bought it for a winter project and I already ride a 750 Intruder.
I found this bike (1997 Intruder 1400 - 29,000km) under a tarp in Quebec and bought it for $800. The owner was 76 when the bike fell over on him and broke his leg in five places so it sat for 5 years, very good shape overall, smells like rotting gas and I'm wondering if anything has been living in the air box. Thanks

#2 ·
Here's the order I would go in:

-Remove tank and drain gas

-Check tank for rust. Google "electrolysis rust removal" if rust is present.

-Clean/rinse tank of all debris

-Remove fuel filter

-Check remaining fuel lines for wear. Flush out with carb cleaner.

-Remove and clean carbs (you can try draining them and spraying carb cleaner through the drain holes, but I suspect after sitting that long they'll need to be taken apart for a thorough internal cleaning).

-Remove spark plugs and pour a tablespoon of oil in the combustion chamber (to help free sticky rings).

-Check air box for rats nests.

Try that, put it all back together and keep your fingers crossed!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#4 ·
Thanks Clark, once I changed the important fluids and lubed the cylinders, changed the plugs and put in a new battery it acutally started, Idled, won't rev up without popping and sputtering but it idles great...I'm traking the carbs off and rebuilding them now that I know it starts...I danced around the driveway when it started and my wife just shook her head and walked away...Cheers

#6 ·
this is how lazy I am, would have used seafoam first, before rebuilding the carbs, but if you are going that far, it will pay in the long run as the carbs and those pesky rubber seals only hold up so long in the presence in gas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.