Motorcycle Forum banner

Can a bad CDI charge only one coil?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Aussie Steve 
#1 ·
I have a 1982 gs650 (Suzuki). Only get spark on 1 & 4. All other issues have been eliminated, so it appears,so it seems to be the CDI unit. Is it possible for the cdi to give charge to only one coil?

#2 ·
I would definitely check all the wiring to that #2 and #3 coil.........

as well as checking the coil for any cracks or other signs it might be defective. Use an ohmmeter on all the wiring, including the spark plug wires. The easiest way to see if the coil is bad would be to substitute another one for it but that might be hard to find. I don't know how much interchangeability there might be between it and other Suzuki 4-cylinder bikes (GS750, GS1000). Maybe someone more familiar with Suzukis will weigh in here.

#3 ·
I would strongly suspect the coil or the associated wiring and cables...also the plug caps. You should be able to either get an aftermarket replacement or another coil from another model as long as the input and output is the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.