Side Stand Switch Problem
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Bandit 600

Side Stand Switch Problem

Hey Guys!

I'm new to the forum. Just picked up my first Bandit, got a really good deal on it because of this problem. It's an 2002 600. Bike starts great, runs and idles great... Then dies when putting it into first (or second) gear. I assume kickstand switch. Guy I'm buying it from says that's what Suzuki told him it was. Anyway, I get the bike and notice that the switch has already been bypassed, someone along the line had cut the wires back to the loom and twisted them together. I went ahead and got a new switch and spliced it into the wiring to no avail.

SO, is there a relay in the system somewhere that could have gone bad? Can I do something stupid like short the neutral sensor so the bike thinks it's always in neutral until I can solve the side stand problem? I tried grounding the green wire that normally goes to the switch to the frame of the bike and that didn't work. I'm kind of at a loss here...

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 900, Can-AM Spyder
    If the bike is a style that you think you might keep for a LONG time, then maybe you should invest in a shop manual.
    And a multi-meter if you don't already have one.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Try the clutch safety switch...I wouldn't cut the wires...simply jump the connector with a paper clip to start with just to see if it is that.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Bandit 600
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    If the bike is a style that you think you might keep for a LONG time, then maybe you should invest in a shop manual.
    And a multi-meter if you don't already have one.
    I was actually able to find a shop manual online that has helped me quite a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
    Try the clutch safety switch...I wouldn't cut the wires...simply jump the connector with a paper clip to start with just to see if it is that.
    I don't think it's the clutch switch. The bike will start properly with the clutch pulled in, but won't with the clutch out. This tells me that the switch is fine (please correct me if I'm wrong haha).

What I ended up doing to get the bike ridable was short the neutral switch so the bike constantly thinks it's in neutral even when it's in gear. I know it's not a permanent fix, but it got me on the road. I guess the question I have now is will the bike running in "neutral" cause any strange side effects? I know on a fuel injected bike it would probably cause the mixture to run rich, but what about on the carbonated bike? I plan to conquer the side stand switch problem ASAP, but in the mean time am I causing any harm by riding it in "neutral"? Besides the fact that I have to be careful at stoplights and when starting the bike haha.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Shouldnt affect a carbed bike...cant see how having the wires from the sidestand safety twisted together is any different to jumping the connector. GPS faulty?...maybe shorting the neutral switch points to that being the culprit. Correct assumption re the clutch switch.

Good luck
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 900, Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmith823 View Post
    I guess the question I have now is will the bike running in "neutral" cause any strange side effects? I know on a fuel injected bike it would probably cause the mixture to run rich, but what about on the carbonated bike?
    No to both. The N switch is a safety device only; has no impact on the fuel mixture.

The danger is that it will allow you to start it IN GEAR with the clutch engaged.......and it could lurch forward, with or without you on the seat.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Sponsored Links