Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC

'99 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC starting/dead battery issue

Hi Everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I was at a Harley dealer looking at gear, came out to leave and the battery didn't have enough juice to turn over the engine. Of course none of the Harley guys there got up off their asses to lend me a hand, typical. I then went to the service department and ask a service tech if he had a power pack, I needed a boost, he was more than happy to help me. I went out, connected the power pack to the batter terminals and tried to start the bike, wouldn't turn over. hmmm. waited for a while, about 1/2 hr and tried to start it again same thing, wouldn't turn over. Now I can hear you saying decomp, nope, waited a bit longer and tried to start it, wasn't turning over, until.......I decided to turn the throttle open! It turned over and started. Strange? I think so, keep in mind the battery is dead.

I went to a local Royal Distributing and purchased a new battery because I tend to abuse my batteries in that I always forget to bring them in during the winter and put them on charge and I thought it had crapped out. A week later I went for a ride to pay a bill and when I went to leave, again.........battery didn't have enough power to turn the engine over. This time I had tried so long the battery went completely dead, $100.00 towing bill. Wait, it gets better! I managed to charge the battery and take it to a local bike shop after I begged the guy to check it out. He told me after checking the charging system that the stator was fine and that I needed a new voltage regulator. I went to the parts counter and ordered one, $140.00 for that, put it in and all seemed to be fine until tonight, went for a group ride with the club I am a member of and what happened? You guessed it, battery dead again!!!!!! WTF?! Lucky I had the boys with me to give me a boost otherwise.....another towing bill would've been inevitable!
    Now, for every boost I got, the engine would not turn over unless I turned the throttle open, keep in mind again battery is dead and cables connected to a running bike.

Here's my question:
    Does anyone have any idea as to the nature of my starting/dead battery/charging issue from the description of the trouble I am having?

Thank you so much for any and all information leading to the resolution of this problem.

Signed,
    Ready to get rid of this bike!

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by tinwakr View Post
    Does anyone have any idea as to the nature of my starting/dead battery/charging issue from the description of the trouble I am having?
    There are probably 20 threads on here already about "bike won't start" and the things to check are all the same.
    In your case, look for dead battery too.

TESTS need to be made.....unless you just like throwing money away.
    Since you paid a shop once, maybe you should let them have another swing at it......and they should give you some credit for the part that did NOT fix it.

And your throttle symptom makes me think that the decomp valve is part of the problem.....or something similar.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    '99 Intruder 1500s are known for faulty wiring in the stator assembly, and also for decomp system issues. You may have both- the decomp could be not working quite right, but you only notice when the battery is weak.

This article here will explain how to tune up your decomp ssytem- a good idea even if it is not the root of the problem, as a bike with a properly working decomp system will start easily: Decomp tune up

Then use this flow chart to diagnose your charging system. The known stator problem is intermitant, so if the charging system tests fine in all tests, then the stator issue is still likely and you may have to repeat the tests several times to catch the stator acting up.
    Charging system diagnostic chart
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

My Bike(s)
    1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC

I think I found the problem......

Hi Everyone,

I went through the Electrical System Troubleshooting list starting at "Battery runs down quickly" on page 7-7 of the service manual
    I disconnected the stereo I installed about a month ago,
    Checked the battery for current leaks (no leaks),
    I measured the charging voltage(charged the battery beforehand, read 13.15V) at the battery terminals and it was low (approx. 12.7 V),
    Continuity of the generator coil checked out fine,
    Checked generator no-load and I was getting approximately 24.5(+/-1V)
    One thing I did notice while checking the connectors is that the male/female connector(black-3 wire) for the stator looked corrode/melted, not in very good shape. Unfortunately, after cleaning it up and re-connecting it, it didn't make a difference.

I am assuming at this point I have to replace the stator? I will confirm with a local bike shop that this is the problem before forging ahead on repairs.

If/when I do this repair, any tips or recommendations as to things I should do that may not be in the manual?

Thanks,
    Chuck

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by tinwakr View Post
    One thing I did notice while checking the connectors is that the male/female connector(black-3 wire) for the stator looked corrode/melted, not in very good shape. Unfortunately, after cleaning it up and re-connecting it, it didn't make a difference.
    THAT might have been the only problem.
    None of your measurements indicate a real problem.......maybe.
    There are other tests to verify the stator itself.

You need to test again.
    First measure the battery after it has been sitting for at least an hour with no activity.
    Nominal is 12.6; normal can be 12.4-12.8.
    Then check the voltage while the engine is running at various speeds.
    IF the voltage while running is at least .4 above the battery resting voltage at some speed AND never goes below the reference voltage at ANY speed, then you are probably OK and many have fixed the problem.....at least temporarily.

Hondas have a lot of trouble with that connector and many of them end up with the connector cut out and the wires soldered together.

P.S. If the only speed where the voltage is low is at idle, you need to up your idle speed just a bit.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 08-05-2012 at 09:43 PM.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Ads