Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1200 RT vs GT

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    05 M50

1200 RT vs GT

I am looking at the two and need to know which would fit me best. I like the twisties and touring but not a speed deamon or long-distance tourer.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '11 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    You could also consider the FS800ST.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Handy
    Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you.
    Loud pipes and other myths.
    R.I.P. Gregory Brewer 01/31/51-07/01/12

My Bike(s)
    BMW R 1200 RT
    Ride them both - a lot.

I rode both and bought the Rt, and I have a friend who did the same and bought the GT.

GT = more like a sport bike that you could tour on. Wickedly fast and great cornering - much more stable in high-speed cornering than many "land of the rising sun" bikes.

RT = more like a touring bike that you could ride in a sport-like manner. They are light, quick, and nimble - which is why they make the best police bike in the world.

Buy for what you do more of, and enjoy it for the rest of what it can do.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2005 M50 (superfast red)
    I have the F800ST. If your needs are (be real here!) more for in-town commuting and short-to-mid distance touring, the F800 will more than meet your needs. It is lighter, more maneuverable, has plenty of oomph, gets great mileage (50-60 mpg), feels solid at all speeds and costs fewer $$$. The RT is much better for long distance touring, has fantastic wind/weather protection, plenty of oomph, lots of integrated options like the ESA. But handling around town can be a little fatiguing (at least for people like me). Oh yes, it also has the telelever suspension which is great - especially when braking, no front dive. It is also 60-70% more $$ than the F800ST. I was torn between the two but finally realized that the F800 would serve my needs better (commuting mainly).
    What is in your constitution? I seem to have the wrong one!!

My Bike(s)
    '06 KTM 950A, '09 BMW R1200GSA
    It sounds like either bike would fit your needs. I had an '07 RT for a while and loved it. Was a fantastic touring bike. Then there were those days when I'd take the bags off and go carve up a canyon.

The GT packs more ponies and, I think, has a slightly longer wheel base.

I switched to an R1200GSA for a couple of different reasons (height, more dirt-capable), but if I were to go bake to the Sport-tourer class again, I'd probably end up on the RT--love the boxer engine.

Leaned over, knee down
    Old post I know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I checked and the OP hasn't posted since last November, but I thought I would add my 2c anyway.

I pretty much agree with all the above comments, well I do question BerryHappy's statement that the RT is 60-70% more that a 800ST, the 800ST has a MSRP of $10,900, and the R1200RT MSRP's at $16,800, that's only,,,,,,,YIKES!! 54.5% more, I guess he wasn't that far off at that, and with all the extras that BMW offers for the RT it would be easy to reach that 70% more mark of $18600.

I didn't find the RT to be any more of a problem around town than the 800ST, I do think the GT and the GS are a bit more of a handful, the GT for it's weight, and the GS for it's seat height, neither should cause the average rider any concerns, but yes a bit more attention needs to be paid when starting & stopping on the GT & GS, the 800ST feels absolutely tiny when going to it from either one of them, but I didn't notice that when going from the RT to the 800, the 800 also could use a bit more motor for my taste, it's not really what I would call slow, it just doesn't seem to have any "snap".

I really like the boxer motor, doesn't matter what frame you wrap it in, it's just a neet motor, it has a kind of dual personalty, and at lower rpm's (below 4,500) is feels kind of lazy & laid back, and because the BMW frames are engineered so well you never feel like your accelerating very fast,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, till you look down at the spedo and realize that it's a good thing there arn't any cops around, but when/if you want to play at being a houligan all you need to do is keep the thing above the 5,000 rpm mark, and it will keep most speed freaks more than happy thank you very much. So my choice if I didn't already have a GS would most definitely be the RT.

The GT is quite a different animal, with about 50 HP more than the RT, (that's right it's pushing around 160 ponies) it is fast anywhere in the rpm band and will not be bested by very many bikes in either straight line acceleration, or running balls-to-the-walls through the twisties, and on top of that it's owners will tell you that it's more comfortable on a cross country run that a Goldwing.
    I drag raced my 1250 Bandit against my buddies GT and he beat me so bad that it wasn't really even a contest,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and he was running 2-up. The GT is basically an "S" model that has had about 175 lbs of faring & bags added to it.

To be perfectly honest I don't see how you could go wrong with any of the 4 bikes I mentioned, or any BMW for that matter, I just wish I had discovered how good the Beemers are a long time ago.
    Last edited by Rickster; 10-12-2009 at 09:20 PM.
    2009 BMW, R 1200 GS
    2010 Victory Cross Country
    2008 DR 650
    2004 BMW R1150RS
    2003 KTM 525 EX/C
    2005 Santa Cruz Heckler

My Bike(s)
    Varadero 1000
    I rode the RT 1200 from Munich to Holland for two months every weekend and found it perfect bike.
    Say the trooth i never ride a GT but personally i think Gt is more a sports bike.
    Rt...that's all.

hi..

Actually speaking these bikes are totally different in character and it's impossible to give advice. You must decide yourself by riding bith if them.Generally speaking R-model is good on smaller roads and the K-model on highways..

Leaned over, knee down
    Quote Originally Posted by john12121 View Post
    Actually speaking these bikes are totally different in character and it's impossible to give advice. You must decide yourself by riding both if them.Generally speaking R-model is good on smaller roads and the K-model on highways..
    I see that this is only your 7th post on this forum, so I'll go easy on you, but you might as well find out right away that making a statement like
    HTML Code:
    [B]Generally speaking  R-model is good  on smaller roads and the K-model on highways.[/B]
    is going to at the very least get someone asking you to explain why, and put you on the spot by asking you to list how much personal riding time you have on the bikes/bikes in question, and your going to be asked to list examples.

For example, I own an "R" bike, the R1200GS, and I have quite a few miles on different R1200RT's, and I have a close friend that owns a K1200GT that I have ridden a number of times, so I feel that I'm pretty familiar with the differences in the two main players that BMW puts on the roads of this country, and I completely disagree with your statement.

First off, of the 30+ bikes I've owned over the years my GS is one of the most comfortable/capable highway bike I have ever had the pleasure to ride, and 1,000 mile days on the super slab are no problem what so ever on this bike.

On the flip side, I've watched numerous times as my friend on his GT made fools of groups of sport bike riders on twisty back roads, and in his words it's the best handling road bike he's ever had down a dirt road.

So well I certainly do conceded that there are numerous differences in the "R" & "K" bikes, I don't feel they are related to handling at all, but more related to motor performance, the "K" bikes have a water cooled in-line 4 cylinder motor that puts out about 1/3 more power than the air cooled opposed twin that is in the "R" bikes.

Any way I'm really not trying to bust your chops, and you are most definitely entitled to your opinion, I'd just like you to explain that opinion if you would please.

And oh ya, welcome to the forum
    2009 BMW, R 1200 GS
    2010 Victory Cross Country
    2008 DR 650
    2004 BMW R1150RS
    2003 KTM 525 EX/C
    2005 Santa Cruz Heckler

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '11 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    I am suspicious of the john#s person

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Handy
    Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you.
    Loud pipes and other myths.
    R.I.P. Gregory Brewer 01/31/51-07/01/12

Ads