Motorcycle Forum banner

Suzuki Boulevard M109R Trouble

33K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  SVZuki 
#1 ·
I just bought a brand new Suzuki Boulevard M109R 6 days ago. It has 200 miles on it right now. I was on a long ride yesterday and noticed oil coming out of the left air filter and oil coming out from the oil fill cap. I pulled over and investigated. I took the oil filler cap off and out came about 8 oz of oil and then was completely to the top. I toojk off the air filter and there was oil in there as well. I put it back on and started the engine and now it was idling at 2500 rpm's instead of the normal 800 rpm's.I then continued the 22 mile trip home going slow. When I got home I opened the oil filler again and out came some more. I then used a siphon pump and took out another quart so that the level was where it should be on the dip stick.
My question is....With just 200 miles on it with too much oil in it is it likely there is any damage to it? Why is it idling that high? I want a new bike and not this one fixed. Are they obligated on a six day old bike with their pure neglience? If they will only fix it would calling Suzuki Headquarters do me any good? Attorney? Any opinions appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
was it frothy / bubbly a bit? sounds like maybe some mechanic overfilled it, and then the crankshaft splashed it around and frothed it up. if that is indeed the case, that's bad for two reasons - one is loss of power because the crankshaft has to splash its way through the oil, and the other is poor oiling because the frothy oil doesn't get circulated properly by the oil pump.

mind you, it could be something quite different, but that's the first thing that comes to mind.

#3 ·
Seriously, call your dealer. I had a simalar experience where some knucklehead forgot to take the old oil filter gasket off, and it blew out on my way home. If I didn't notice the smell and trail of oil and didn't shut it down, I may have toasted the motor. But most dealers are willing to help, especially if it's their fault. Because simply, you can eventually bring the law into it, and start claiming they refused to honor your warentee.

#5 ·
Thing is I'm sure they will fix it but I don't want a bike that had all that oil thru the air filter and who knows where else....Their shop screwed up putting too much oil in causing this.....Shouldn't I get a new bike?.....I'm so GD mad right now...I spent $12000 on this bike.

#7 ·
I have an M109R and have read a ton on it on other boards as well. What you have experienced is VERY common with dealers overfilling. A few things to make sure on this.

1. Take it to the dealer have them totally empty / refill the oil BY THE BOOK. When i say by the book i mean specifically by the manual this bike has a wet sump and has to run 15 minutes with a 3 minute cool down and check while its standing straight up not on the side stand. Also make sure the threads on the dip stick are only touching NOT screwed in.

2. Get them to put a new airfilter in the airbox.

3. Clean off all parts on bike/wash it for you ESPECIALLY the sensor thats in the airbox. IF they dont clean that sensor with electronics cleaner you are going to have alot of gremlins. IE high idle etc.

Note the bike should take around 3.8 quarts of oil ONLY.

#11 ·
I hope your dealer is better than mine. My 109 has some sort of problem I cant figure out. When I let out the clutch with the rpm's revving the bike wont go in gear. It just chatters like the clutch plates are pounding each other and wont engage. It goes like stink if I engage the clutch gently and then hit it. It doesnt jump out of gear or slip at all. The dealership will only spend 2hours on it looking, then I have to pay them 1000 to pull the motor. Anyone hear of anything like this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.