Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50

How often should the radiator fan run?

Mine seems to run a lot, even at highway speeds on a cool day, 'course I tend to ride fast. Otherwise it seems to run fine.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    not knowing everything and all, but the sensor may be tripping off the fan a bit too often.

had an old 84 magna, and the fan only came on occassionally.

but the c/m 50 critter is different.

a bunch of people will chime in shortly.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard M50
    I would also like to know this. It is has been in the high 90's here in Houston the past week, and the fan starts up shortly after I start it up. I just bought mine last month, so I am curious if somethig was wrong. I am looking forward to when I can just ride all day in the fall. Summers here will kill you!

Just Won't Go Away !
    My fan doesn't hardly ever come on. It shouldn't come on shortly after turning it on even in the heat. With it being water cooled mine has come on only a few times after long rides in the mountains, in the summer heat, and only while sitting at a long traffic light.

Don't have any answers for you but it just doesn't seem right to me. But like Jim said maybe the sensor is faulty.

TurtleWax Taster
    My Bike(s)
    Silver '06 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaRoller View Post
    My fan doesn't hardly ever come on. It shouldn't come on shortly after turning it on even in the heat. With it being water cooled mine has come on only a few times after long rides in the mountains, in the summer heat, and only while sitting at a long traffic light.

Don't have any answers for you but it just doesn't seem right to me. But like Jim said maybe the sensor is faulty.
    more or less. I commute 65 miles each way to/from work. It only goes off in the morning if I get stuck at a drawbridge. It only goes off in the afternoon when I get off to open the gate and leave it running, and even then, as soon as I start riding it around back, the fan stops.

I can honestly say I don't think my fan has even come on while the bike was in motion, even in some of the 105 degree heat we had last august.
    "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn" - Benjamin Franklin

My Bike(s)
    chiming back in, I think there is a bit of "this and that" when it comes to the fan running.

My old 84 honda magna would only run the fan briefly regardless of the heat.

I think it was a combination of

1) How hot it was
    2) how charged the battery was - and by that I mean

the fan will run until the voltage hits a certain point, then it shuts off, no matter what.

otherwise the bike will stall because the computer can no longer function due to low voltage.

but that's just my amateur opinion.

if anybody is truly "in the know" on this subject, I would be all ears.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    Boulevard C109RT
    Mine runs when it's hot, when I'm stuck in traffic in the summer, when the bike's been idling for a while, etc.

It's meant to come on when the engine gets hot and shut off when the engine cools down
    Don

08 Boulevard C109RT
    Blue - the fastest color
    Calgary Canada

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50
    Riding a bit more, at regular highway speeds it doesn't come on but I do tend to ride fast. At 85-90 it will come on occasionally.
    '06 C50

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2006 suzukic50t, 1970 suzuki ac50, 1968 sears campus 50
    Mine hasn't come on in two years (8000 miles), including riding in colorado when it was 104. Last night in Michigan it was 90, so for the heck of it I started the bike and at idle, let it run for 15 minutes, and low and behold the fan came on, cycled and did it again in about 5 minutes. I just think the c50's run cool, and now I am comfortable that in the extreme non-moving environment, IT WORKS!

My Bike(s)
    I would've figures the more modern bikes would run hotter since most engines run fairly lean these days for emission purposes.

Ads