Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

2005-2007 C50 holding up well?

So how are the '05-'07 C50's holding up these days? Any known issues? I'm looking into getting back into riding again, but i've only ridden a cruiser once. It was some kind of Harley, took it about 2 miles right before a cookout, not enough time/distance to form a real opinion. I seem to have my heart set on a C50 (FI is a plus for me now), but due to budget restraints I'm pretty much in the 2005-2007 dollar range. Unfortunately i've got another item on CL i have to sell before i can purchase one (and what's with all the CL scammers these days?!). Anywho, i sold my last bike back in 08 or 09 i guess? It was a Honda CBR 900RR, prior to that i had a Suzuki Katana 750. I learned to ride on the Katana, and the transmission blew out at 22k miles. I swapped the motor myself, rode for a bit, sold it, upgraded, etc. I'm a little weary of going back to Suzuki again due to the blown tranny at only 22k miles, but I've read quite a few good reviews on the C50 cruiser. I'm finding them here and there on CL for good prices in good condition, just hoping i can still find them that way when i sell my boat. Anything I should look for in particular with these bikes? Closest interstate is 60 miles from here either direction, so it'll mainly be for in town riding and/or 65mph or under, but i'd still like enough power and room to ride 2up in the mountains or 80mph+ solo when needed. Me and the wife would be about 320lbs total, so i don't "think" that'd be an issue.

Now that i've gotten a bit older, and rarely get my truck up/over 60mph, I figure a cruiser will suit me well. Comfy, good gas mileage, and wind in what's left of my hair C90 would be nice, but I can't find them for less than $5k and that's more than the wife will let me spend on a toy at the moment LOL

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki C50 '07
    I bought an '07 C50 brand new and now have almost 36,000 miles on it. I have never had even the slightest mechanical problem. The exhaust has never been altered, it is just as it came from the factory. I have always taken good care of it, given it timely oil changes, fresh coolant every 2 years. I don't do my own maintenance. I am lucky to have a very reliable independent mechanic who does the work. At 22,500 miles I had him adjust the valves and he said it was not really needed. I might have him do it again at the start of next summer, but it continues to run well. I believe good preventive maintenance is the key to keeping it reliable. As for carrying weight, I never have passengers, but I sure have loaded it up with lots of stuff in a T-bag over the sissy bar and luggage rack, and saddle bags. Tent, folding chair, etc... I can fit a lot of stuff on it.
    So, if you find a C-50 which has always been well cared for, you should be satisfied.
    Last edited by Centrelonghair; 09-08-2012 at 07:26 AM.

Thanks for the input. I hope to be able to sell my boat soon and get one, but it looks like I'm selling at a bad time. Guess if it takes a couple months, ill have time during the winter to fix it up how I want it for riding season. Like many others new to the cruiser world, I just fear ill be wanting more power a short while after buying it

My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki C50 Boulivard, All Stock except seat!
    I got an all stock 2007 C50 a couple days before Christmas last year and other than the stock seat having to be upgaded, it has been doing fine the past 2k+ miles. I have noticed a little sticking between shifts if I don't actually "use" the gear a little before shifting again. Suspect the problem may be the linkage getting a little dirty as I have read about recently... My wife and I (about 390 lbs total) finally found a steep enough hill last week that kept us down to 70. Yes, I like to test it a bit still to make sure I know what it will do when I really need it... I can't go too crazy since I like to be on top this earth too much vice six feet under! I was doing 50 when I started up the hill and laid into it. The hill was easily over half a mile long. So, with a little less weight, you should do better. Solo is even better for sure! It will do what you want.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki Boulevard C90 Black
    No issues here aside from reg maintenance 07 Mustang seat 18,500 miles de-baffled

I took the All Bran Challenge
    My Bike(s)
    C50SE
    05 C50 since new, 77,000 Kms. Runs better than new. TeclusionFI and K&N Air Cleaner, oil changed every 5,000 Kms., stock pipes.
    All gas fills recorded, average 20.4 Kms per liter. Just over 21 Kms per liter past 2 years.

My Bike(s)
    2005 C 50 Boulevard Used to ride a Yamaha Venture Royale
    Bought an '05 this summer had 3400 miles when I got it now have 7000 on it and I love it Plenty of power and good milage and no issues at all. When I rode it back to AZ from MN this fall it was cold up north and 90 plus in AZ and it never missed a beat.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    45,000+ on my 2006. No issues, just the normal wear items.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

Ads