New Guy, Looking at an 06 M50
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    Chinese POS for now

New Guy, Looking at an 06 M50

Hey guys/gals,

new to this forum and new to bikes, very familiar with 4 wheels though.

I currently have a 2015 chinese POS dual sport. I bought it used 2 months ago and decided I've had enough of it and I'm looking at a 2006 Boulevard M50. 1,853 miles, they're asking (not so much asking, it's at a dealer) $2,791 for it. Looks like an amazing deal to me. I'm headed to test ride it on Tuesday. I LOVE that's it's fuel injected. I'm sick of dealing with the carb on my current bike lol! It has a few cosmetic flaws but as long as a bike (or cars/trucks/whatever) is mechanically sound, I'm ot so concerned with how it looks.

I can't post pics until I have 3 posts...

So, what are some things I should look for mechanicaly? Does this year or model have any common issues? Common leaks, etc... Just want a heads up before I get there and look at it.

I post often so I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys and learning from the threads here. Hopefully I'll have an M50 in a couple days

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    Chinese POS for now
    Post #2

My Bike(s)
    Chinese POS for now
    Post #3

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    Chinese POS for now
    Alright, pictures...

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 900, Can-AM Spyder
    Welcome.
    Some of the Zuki's of about that vintage had a problem with the shaft drives if not carefully maintained.
    Hopefully somebody else knows the years involved.
    If the dealership is honest, they would tell you too......if you ask.

It does sound like a good deal.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Watch out for cam chain tensioner failure at around 30k to 45k miles. Doesnt happen to all but many on here have had major issues. I know the bike has low miles atm but if you intend to keep it a for a while its something to think about. Either way it will be a big improvement on a Chinese machine...I have yet to see one that is any good over any sort of time scale.

Good luck
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2013 M109R, 2016 C90T, 2007 M50
    Yes, that's one of the shaft years to be aware of. Also, check the age of the tires. Age before mileage.
    As long as it's not them that has to pay, no one really minds the debt.

My Bike(s)
    Chinese POS for now
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Welcome.
    Some of the Zuki's of about that vintage had a problem with the shaft drives if not carefully maintained.
    Hopefully somebody else knows the years involved.
    If the dealership is honest, they would tell you too......if you ask.

It does sound like a good deal.
    Good to know. I have 0 experience with shaft drive bikes. The only two I've ever owned have been chain drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
    Watch out for cam chain tensioner failure at around 30k to 45k miles. Doesnt happen to all but many on here have had major issues. I know the bike has low miles atm but if you intend to keep it a for a while its something to think about. Either way it will be a big improvement on a Chinese machine...I have yet to see one that is any good over any sort of time scale.

Good luck
    That'll be a tough bridge to cross but I may not put that many miles on this bike. Good to know though.

The bike isn't bad, I bought it used, the previous owner wasn't good with maintenance or general upkeep, so I've had to put more time and money into it than
    I want. Stuff keeps breaking/going out
    Quote Originally Posted by QZephyr View Post
    Yes, that's one of the shaft years to be aware of. Also, check the age of the tires. Age before mileage.
    Definitely. I appreciate the input.

What more can you guys tell me about this shaft issue? I'll do my own research on the subject (like I said, I'm not new to forums lol) but if you guys know about it, couldn' hurt.

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    I started in Dec 2014 on an '05 m50 with 23k miles and I traded it in with about 38k miles for Valkyrie last July. No major problems, only did the usual maintenance: tires, brakes and oil.
    I think $2800 is high but it's worth whatever you think it's worth. Check NADA and KBB.
    You can definitely talk 'em down from that price, if you're willing to be firm and walk out.
    Here is a link that explains the shaft issue, basically someone didn't use enough lube on the shaft or seal it well enough to keep water out and rust it. This was mainly a problem on the '05 models but I think some people have reported it on the '06 as well.

My Bike(s)
    Chinese POS for now
    Quote Originally Posted by turboyoshi View Post
    I started in Dec 2014 on an '05 m50 with 23k miles and I traded it in with about 38k miles for Valkyrie last July. No major problems, only did the usual maintenance: tires, brakes and oil.
    I think $2800 is high but it's worth whatever you think it's worth. Check NADA and KBB.
    You can definitely talk 'em down from that price, if you're willing to be firm and walk out.
    Here is a link that explains the shaft issue, basically someone didn't use enough lube on the shaft or seal it well enough to keep water out and rust it. This was mainly a problem on the '05 models but I think some people have reported it on the '06 as well.
    Thanks for the link!

The bike sold back in November, and for whatever reason it was still on their site. Bummer. I'm still looking though.

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    You're more likely to find better deals on craigslist, only reason to use a dealer is to finance or buy new. Take a look at the kawasaki vulcan also. Bang for buck, it's probably a better deal than the low end zukis. Only suzuki I really like is the m109 but that's not a beginner's bike.

My Bike(s)
    Chinese POS for now
    Quote Originally Posted by turboyoshi View Post
    You're more likely to find better deals on craigslist, only reason to use a dealer is to finance or buy new. Take a look at the kawasaki vulcan also. Bang for buck, it's probably a better deal than the low end zukis. Only suzuki I really like is the m109 but that's not a beginner's bike.
    I've got a couple Vulcan 1100s I'm going to look at too

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2013 M109R, 2016 C90T, 2007 M50
    Where are you located?
    As long as it's not them that has to pay, no one really minds the debt.

Sponsored Links