Motorcycle Forum banner

New to the Suzuki world, old rider

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Easy Rider 
#1 ·
Just purchased a 2015 C90T, and am really enjoying the machine. I have had many bikes, been riding since 1963, bought my first bike in 66. I started small, 100cc, worked up to a 350 street Honda in 68. Since then, I have had 1971 Triumph Tiger, 1978 Kawasaki 750, took a break because of X-wife, 2003 Yamaha 650 Classic, 2005 Yamaha 1100 Classic, 2007 Honda 1300, 2009 Honda 1100, 2012 Honda Fury 1300, 2016 Yamaha 950 Bolt, and now the Boulevard.

As you can tell, I have never been in the Suzuki world, and I really need some help here. I have been on a lot of sites, looking to gain knowledge of the C90T, VL1500B/T, and when I find something, after reading a bit, I figure out that they are talking about the older version, carbs and such. I have the first service coming up, and having wrenched many a bike, it really erks me to pay them to touch my machine, because I have caught many a mech being very sloppy. (Wife picked up a Harley (New) and drove it home from the dealership with 8 pounds of air in front and rear tires. 60 friggin miles. Now, I might have a leak in rear tire, but, I found the stem was not installed tight, did a 3/4 turn to tighten it up and could not find any leaks with soapy water. Oh well, time will tell.

#2 ·
Welcome.
So what are you asking exactly ??

Most any fuel injected engine requires very little routine maintenance.....except oil changes (in the shaft drive too) and spark plug changes and filters (air and fuel).
If you don't have an owner's manual, get one.

You do NOT have to take it to a shop to maintain your warranty as long as you document the required maintenance when YOU do it.

#3 ·
WHS^ I just did the 10k service on my bike...simply signed the service sheet 'by owner' and kept the receipt for oil/filter and crush washer for the sump plug. Most of the service items are simple checks and a dab of grease on linkages etc...they almost always put too much grease on the chain which ends up being flicked off all over the place plus I know what has been done.

#6 ·
I have a 2016 C90T bought new last summer, when I traded a 2003 Intruder that was bought new in 2003. Like you I do my own stuff and the C90 is allot easier to work on, because there is very little to do.

Like mentioned before, there is very little to do on these new machines. I do buy the stock Suzuki oil filter, but I use Royal Purple Synthetic for both engine and final drive. I would recommend picking up the Suzuki filter wrench, as it makes life allot easier than using an off the shelf version.

On my first service I also checked tightness in all bolts, air pressure, etc and all was good, but I did have to do a small throttle adjustment as there was a little to much slack. YOUTUBE is great for the how to's. KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS AND RECORD YOUR SERVICE IN YOU OWNERS MANUAL. There is a record page in the back.

Do you have the blacked out version?

#7 ·
hi everyone i am new here and could use a bit of advice. i bought a 2016 c90t boss and love it The only problem so far is that it shifts out of first gear into neutral on its own when i am at slow speed and has caused me to almost drop the bike a few times. any advice would be appreciated. thanks

#8 ·
Welcome.

While I KNOW that you are SURE this is not happening.........trust me, it happens to a LOT of folks, especially if they are new to riding or have a bike that is new to them.

It is likely that your shift linkage needs to be adjusted a bit so that your foot is not unconsciously pulling UP on the shifter just a tiny bit all the time.
Or that your heel is pushing down slightly if it is a heel-toe shift lever.

After that, you need to see a dealer.......as it might have a bit of warranty left.

P.S. It would be better to start your own thread for things like this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.