Swapping Frames on 05 C90
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    2005 suzuki C90, 2005 Yamaha Royal Star

Swapping Frames on 05 C90

Hello, new here and looking for info, I have a like new 05 C90 boulevard with 4000 miles that has no title, it was purchased from a garage estate and had always been used by the owner with his dealer plate, He had towed it in as a recovery and it was never claimed, it shows up on carfax as purchased in 05 and no info since, it does show a lien holder who I contacted across the country and they said there is nothing they can do after all this time, the lender has been sold many times since.
    I have exhausted all options, little that there was, and am now considering getting a good frame with a title and swapping everything over, Am I correct in thinking this will solve the title issue? Any obstacles in doing the swap.
    Also in searching for a frame is there any variations in an 05 C90 blvd. frame, I've seen C90t and a VL1500 listed as a boulevard frame, are they identical?

Thank you for any info.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    Why would you buy a bike that new without a title? Unless you don't care it was probably stolen. A title search at the dmv will most likely pull up the current lien holder, which you will need to pay off to get title, and that's probably more than the bike is currently worth. Or turn the bike over to them. That would be the legal route. Anything else, I don't wish you luck on.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2016 Suzuki C90T BOSS
    This is a hard lesson to learn. Hope you didn't pay much for it, because your going to be chalking it up as a lose. Sorry. I agree with turbo, turn it over to the lean and maybe they will cut you a deal because they don't want the headache, bit this really smells like a hot bike and not worth jail time!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 900, Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by zboy View Post
    I have exhausted all options,
    While that might be true, your post doesn't really indicate that.

IF you have not contacted your DMV and had a "face to face" discussion with a supervisor, then you have not exhausted ALL of your options.

Most (all?) states have procedures for resolving things like this and they vary widely.
    Some places you would have to pay ALL of the back registration fees.

P.S. Come on guys. He covered the lien situation in his first post.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    Thank you for responses, Purchase price was $1000. well worth it if I have to part it out, I knew the whole story before I purchased it, It is NOT stolen
    It was bought new, with a loan, the bike was abandoned by the owner at his girlfriends mothers house after a break up, it sat in the bushes for a couple years when the homeowner called a tow company to come remove it as an abandoned vehicle, Bike sat at tow yard and was never claimed, tow yard operated cleaned it up, searched for the title thru the lien holder, They had no interest in paying the storage and tow fees, and they claimed the title could not be found, they also were no help in forgiving the loan. Tow operator used the bike for a few years with his repair plate and tried a few times to rectify the situation to no avail. Tow guy, a friend of mine sadly passed away a few years back and bike was purchased for what it was, along with his Yamaha Royal Star, (titled).
    I have contacted the lien holder shown in the system and they have no record of this bike nor the title, They are from Arizona and have been thru a few mergers, They said they couldnt help. So that is where I'm at, I'm in MA one of the worse DMV's to deal with, they don't help.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 900, Can-AM Spyder
    I'm in MA one of the worse DMV's to deal with, they don't help.
    In most cases, the wording of this statement is correct; it's not that they CAN'T resolve the matter but just that they don't want to be bothered.

Do you by any chance know your State Senator ??

Otherwise your plan to look for a similar model with a blown engine/transmission is probably the only practical way to get it on the road again.........except in pieces.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    It was bought new, with a loan, the bike was abandoned by the owner at his girlfriends mothers house after a break up, it sat in the bushes for a couple years when the homeowner called a tow company to come remove it as an abandoned vehicle, Bike sat at tow yard and was never claimed, tow yard operated cleaned it up, searched for the title thru the lien holder, They had no interest in paying the storage and tow fees, and they claimed the title could not be found, they also were no help in forgiving the loan.
    This is all still very uncertain from a legal standpoint. I'm not sure the tow operator ever legally owned the bike. Laws will vary between states but generally, the owner of the bike has to be notified in writing and then has a certain amount of time to claim it. Even if that process was followed, your friend can't claim ownership if the lienholder isn't paid off and isn't forgiving the debt.
    Only a lawyer licensed in your state could tell you for sure but I don't think you'll ever be able to make legal claim to the bike.
    At best, it looks like you have a parts bike.

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by turboyoshi View Post
    This is all still very uncertain from a legal standpoint. I'm not sure the tow operator ever legally owned the bike. Laws will vary between states but generally, the owner of the bike has to be notified in writing and then has a certain amount of time to claim it. Even if that process was followed, your friend can't claim ownership if the lienholder isn't paid off and isn't forgiving the debt.
    Only a lawyer licensed in your state could tell you for sure but I don't think you'll ever be able to make legal claim to the bike.
    At best, it looks like you have a parts bike.

The tow operator did have the rights to it, he contacted lien co and they were not at all interested in helping, unfortunately he died before the full process of becoming owner. It was purchased as a parts bike and for the past 3 years I just look at it and don't have the heart to strip it.

My Bike(s)
    Swapping Frames on 05 C90-motorcycle-003.jpg
    Last edited by zboy; 04-21-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2013 M109R, 2016 C90T, 2007 M50
    That would be a waste of a good bike, if you can't resolve the issue.
    As long as it's not them that has to pay, no one really minds the debt.

My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    The tow operator did have the rights to it, he contacted lien co and they were not at all interested in helping, unfortunately he died before the full process of becoming owner.
    This part "unfortunately he died before the full process of becoming owner." contradicts this part "The tow operator did have the rights to it"

Towing the bike off someone's property didn't give him ownership rights, especially while it has a lien on it. Was the bike ever registered in your friend's name? Did he ever pay tag fees or taxes for it? Is there any paperwork at all that shows ownership? If you have anything like that, you might be able to file for a lost title. It's a simple process you can even do online, and costs about $25.

If you do manage to get this successfully resolved, I'll be curious what the process was. Although I don't see myself ever being in this situation, I'm sure the information would be useful to others.

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by turboyoshi View Post
    This part "unfortunately he died before the full process of becoming owner." contradicts this part "The tow operator did have the rights to it"

Towing the bike off someone's property didn't give him ownership rights, especially while it has a lien on it. Was the bike ever registered in your friend's name? Did he ever pay tag fees or taxes for it? Is there any paperwork at all that shows ownership? If you have anything like that, you might be able to file for a lost title. It's a simple process you can even do online, and costs about $25.

If you do manage to get this successfully resolved, I'll be curious what the process was. Although I don't see myself ever being in this situation, I'm sure the information would be useful to others.
    It was his, the lien company would not pay the tow and storage fees, they told him keep it they were not interested in it, and the original purchaser could not be found(although he was not considered the owner anymore because he never paid the loan). The tow yard gets the vehicle at this point, it is just a long process to get the paperwork done. And that is what happened here.

My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    If it was legally his, then you should have everything you need to file for a lost title. Try that, let us know how it goes.

Sponsored Links