Baffles off completely
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Boulevard C50

Baffles off completely

So I went ahead and took the pipes off completely except the small parts coming out of the engine. Plan is to eventually run Cobras, but I might heat tape them and just run these. Is there any issue with running the bike like this? Please no noise comments. 25 year rider, never had a quiet bike, truck, or muscle car! It backfires and flames shoot out of The pipes and pops a ton when slowing down, but ran 220 miles yesterday with no issues. So will this harm the bike in any way? Thanks again!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    2006 Boulevard C50
    Here is a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 900, Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Rwalker725 View Post
    Please no noise comments.
    Sorry but you can't just stifle comments from respectful law abiding citizens by just telling us to shut up.

Be an outlaw if you must but don't expect us to help you.

And yes, straight header pipes can cause damage to the exhaust valves......as well as ear drums and interfere with my right to have a reasonable amount of peace and quiet.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    2006 Boulevard C50
    I have had a single pipe off my 5.9L Magnum Dodge into a cherry bomb extreme that splits it into 2 out the back for 3 years with zero damage to the engine. How does this harm the bike? I had straight pipes on my last monster bike as well with no issues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Baffles off completely-022_1495134568198.jpg  

My Bike(s)
    2005 M50
    Everything that I have heard says that no exhaust, which is what you have there, will eventually cause damage. Also, it will run poorly and have a loss of power, due to not having any back pressure and the engine is not tuned for that. AND, no pipe at all would sound like crap, I imagine. I have some Vance & Hines on mine and it sounds and runs great.

My Bike(s)
    2006 Boulevard C50
    Bike mechanic of 30 years told me he has put straights on every make and model. Zero issues unless you mess with air intake. He fired up his own beast and it shot flames and popped and snapped like a monster. Ober 200,000 miles with straights.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    OK so you know everything there is to know about this subject so why did you ask in the first place ???

I said it CAN have a bad affect, not that it always will.
    It depends on the engine design, exactly what pipes are left on and how long they are.

In addition to the other problems, if done wrong the rider can be "eating" exhaust gasses and not know it.

And regardless of exactly how it's done, it still is obnoxious, rude and illegal.

If YOU can do it, why can't everybody ??
    Think about a world where NONE of the vehicles on the road had mufflers.
    Wouldn't that be fun ???

My Bike(s)
    2006 Boulevard C50
    Everyone can. It's called FREEDOM.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Everyone can. It's called FREEDOM.
    Well in your mind I guess that means the freedom to ignore whatever laws you choose.......and the freedom to be as stupid as you want.

I don't quite see it that way.

My Bike(s)
    2006 Boulevard C50
    600 miles now. Through many towns past townies and state cops. For being so illegal, every single cop has ignored it.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    600 miles now. Through many towns past townies and state cops. For being so illegal, every single cop has ignored it.
    Just stop making excuses for your bad behavior please.

Just because it is not high up on their enforcement list does NOT make it any less annoying or less illegal.

I will not respond to further "troll baiting" on this subject because additional "discussion" is pointless.

Done.

My Bike(s)
    2006 Boulevard C50
    Okay dad. When my Raider arrives I will be sure it is 100X louder than my Boulevard!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    I dont condone state interference but I also dont condone extremely loud vehicles. As ER says the fact plods do nothing has nothing to do with loud exhausts...most have too much to do without having to chase down every minor infraction...

Be well aware...even if they do nothing your neighbours may complain sufficiently to get your bike examined...or trashed by the more aggressive ones....and you will be making yourself a larger target for all and sundry who object to excessive noise. Your actions give all motorcyclists a bad name and, I, like everyone else are often the butt of this be it ignorant drivers lumping us all together just so a few can be a bellend about it.

Anyway hopefully your even louder exhaust will end up spewing most of what remains of your burned valves out onto the street....better yet just in front of a cop car!
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Still crazy after all these years

My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    For the record, FREEDOM is not "do whatever you feel, with no regard for anyone but yourself." That is narcissism / anarchism. FREEDOM is the pursuit of life, liberty and happiness without repression. Free societies need to have laws to protect the common good, even if it limits what some people would like to do. Noise and emissions laws are an example. If you think you can make your bike as loud as you want, you're wrong - because your neighbors and other people on the road around you have a right to not have their health and safety endangered by you. A bike that is over 100 dB is damaging the hearing of people around you. When you start that bike and ride down the street, someone is getting angry at you because you woke their baby or woke them.

In most countries, riding with straight pipes is illegal. In Europe, making any kind of mod to the exhaust will invalidate your registration - the bike is no longer street legal until it has been inspected and certified for street use again. This is to protect the general population from loud bikes, and also to protect the rider from fire/explosion risk. Any bike that is spitting flames has the potential to ignite your clothes or oil/gas dripped onto the street by other vehicles.

Not to mention the fact that it CAN destroy the engine, since you have removed most of the backforce provided by the exhaust, which changes the whole airflow and temperature control in the cylinders. The valves will suffer and the engine life will probably be considerably shorter than with a stock exhaust.

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    Pizza is not safe around me. - Me

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by inspiron View Post
    Any bike that is spitting flames has the potential to ignite your clothes or oil/gas dripped onto the street by other vehicles.
    And ignite dry grass on the roadside too.

In Florida right now there are about a HUNDRED wild fires burning, most out of control.

Try taking your bike with no mufflers into a state or national park in an area that is dry. They will inform you that "spark arrestors" are required.......and if you some how circumvent the guards at the gate, they will take you to jail AND confiscate your ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links