Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Throttle Jockey
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M109r

1983 Suzuki GS750E

I've been actively looking for a bike to build for the past few years. Something that i could turn into a cafe racer, or an old harley for a bobber project, and then i found her. A 83 GS750E popped up in craigslist on Sunday, right here in my hometown...at $500 it seemed a little too good to be true, but thought i'd check it out.

It's clean, never been dropped, is only missing a turn signal lens cover and a mirror that broke when it fell of it's center stand in the muck. Battery needs to be replaced, but with a quick jump we heard it turn over...wouldn't quite fire, but to be fair, it's been sitting for 4 years. I imagine i'll be learning about carbs really quick, but he has the original suzuki dealers maintenance bible for the bike.

The goal would be to make a cool little cafe racer out of it if i can find the parts. Does anybody have a good online resource for this thing? I can't seem to find a lot of information on her.
    Please Note: All opinions contained herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.

It's true that every time you hear a bell ring, an angel gets its wings...
    But what they don't tell you is that every time you hear a mouse trap "snap", an Angel gets set on fire...

2009 Suzuki M109R * RoadBurner Velocity Pro 2-1 Exhaust * Kuryakyn Scythe Mirrors * Raw Designs adjustable lowering bones * OEM Zuki Engine Gaurds * National Cycle Vstream Tour Windsheild * GiPro ATRE w/ Gear Indicator

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    me, no, but somebody will.

here to post to see how it goes for you.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Throttle Jockey
    My Bike(s)

Klokwerk Orange

Here she be...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1983 Suzuki GS750E-img_1781.jpg   1983 Suzuki GS750E-img_1786.jpg  
    Please Note: All opinions contained herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.

But what they don't tell you is that every time you hear a mouse trap "snap", an Angel gets set on fire...

2009 Suzuki M109R * RoadBurner Velocity Pro 2-1 Exhaust * Kuryakyn Scythe Mirrors * Raw Designs adjustable lowering bones * OEM Zuki Engine Gaurds * National Cycle Vstream Tour Windsheild * GiPro ATRE w/ Gear Indicator

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Sweet.

Do you know about the styofoam/fiberglass trick?

Throttle Jockey
    My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diamond_jim View Post
    Sweet.

Do you know about the styofoam/fiberglass trick?
    Bruther bodywork is outa my zone of expertise, one if the reasons why i bought this thing...learn all those bits and peices that i never knew

Third gear and cruising
    My Bike(s)
    2005 GZ250 1973 "heavyoldandslow" GT750
    Thats a SWEET looking bike!!!!
    I only ride 'em. I don't know what makes 'em work.
    Oddball: Donald Sutherland, Kelly's Heroes 1970

Throttle Jockey
    My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005GZ250 View Post
    Thats a SWEET looking bike!!!!
    Thanks man, best $500 bucks i ever spend

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    I was reading earlier about a guy who made a gas tank for his cafe racer out of fiberglass, which is commonly done in race applications where weight is an issue. He took a chunk of styofoam and shaped it like the gas tank he wanted. He then laid fiberglass around it. Once done, he poured a chemical in the fiberglass tank that melted the styrofoam. After that, he poured in a sealant, swirling it around and covering the inside. Tada... a new custom tank.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Boulevard C50 2008 Nomad 1600
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsimpson View Post
    i found her. A 83 GS750E popped up in craigslist on Sunday, right here in my hometown...at $500 it seemed a little too good to be true, but thought i'd check it out.
    That's insane. She looks pretty good on the pics.

There're couple of 750s of that era roaming around here. If I had a garage, I'd [attempt to] build a 750-inline-motor-based-chopper myself.

Good luck Geoff and keep us posted.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Nomad, rider of the ancient east
    Nomad, rider that men know the least
    Nomad, where you come from no one knows
    Nomad, where you go to no one tells
    [by Iron Maiden]

My Bike(s)
    95 suzuki RF 900R
    It looks really good, just beware the early 80's gs series had some trouble with stators jsut a heads up. looks great tho

Handlebar Consultant
    My Bike(s)
    86 GSXR750G, 93 GSX1100G, 89 YSR50
    My then wife had the 83 GS750ES, with the frame mount fairing. Please, please, please don't chop it. It already is a "Cafe Racer". You might want to try to source the "ES" handlebar castings. The actual "bar"{7/8"} just slides into the casting. They are lower than the "E" castings. If you can't find any, measure the fork tube diameter {36-37mm maybe?}. Then you can search the aftermarket for a suitable clip-on type bar set-up. The fork tubes extend up above the upper triple clamp, to accept the factory handlebar casting. That should make it easy to find something that fits. I would just go through the bike and give it a proper tune up. Clean and sync. the carbs, adjust the valves, etc. Stock, I turned 12.4s @ 104mph in the 1/4 mile with it. That was pretty good for the day. Finding good rubber and a decent aftermarket exhaust{don't forget the jet kit and filter} might be a bit of a pain, but with patience you should be fine. I think there is a site that might be helpful.
    thegsresources.com
    That ought to help!
    Last edited by Tab B.; 01-09-2009 at 07:29 AM. Reason: website address

I just got an '83 GS750E. it needs some engine work and im looking for the manual with exploded views so I don't miss any parts, and i want to go through the wiring and make sure nothing is wrong with there. is there anyone out there who knows where i can get it online for free? i dont really want to pay for the one from the clymer site, and i cant seem to find it anywhere in any nearby libraries.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    1972 Honda CL450 Scrambler, 2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    You can find the micro fiche here: suzuki partsmanual fiche gs750 e es 1983 usa
    The world is not my home. I'm just a passin' thru.

My Bike(s)
    1983 Suzuki GS750E
    That thing looks pretty complete. I know this is an older post, but please tell me you didn't butcher that thing up. I have one I picked up three months ago with 3700 miles. It now has 6500.

Ads