Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Suzuki GN400x

Unhappy Starting problem GN400

I just got a 1980 GN400 from a friend and it seems to only start when it wants to. I can start it sometimes with the fuelcock off and then turn the gas on once it starts. If I dont turn it on, it runs out of gas, of course, and then wont restart after I turn it on. Just looking for ideas of where to start since this is my first bike ever and I don't want to screw anything up.
    Things I DO know:
    It has gas.
    It has a new air filter.
    Could it be the Plug? Wire?
    Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiDan View Post
    Could it be the Plug? Wire?
    Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
    Since you didn't mention it, could it be that you don't realize that there is a CHOKE and that you NEED to use it when starting cold ??

There is no reason to start it with the fuel petcock in the OFF position.....unless gas spills out from the overflow when it is ON.

Some carb cleaner in the gas might help.

Until you get the problem solved, you need to recharge the battery regularly because it will fail rapidly if you let it sit in a discharged state very long.

Good luck!!
    Keep us posted.

OH and.............

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki GS400
    Just bought a GN 400, not running in a garage for 3 years. Any tips?
    Thanks, Busted

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki DR-Z400SM
    Check the tank for scale (rust flakes), if there are any, clean the tank and possibly use a chemical liner (not kreem). Clean the carb(s), change the oil filter and oil, the air cleaner, spark plug and battery. Of course if it was parked for a reason I would investigate that first, no spark, not shifting right, etc. My first bike was a GN250 that sat in a garage for 13 years, I did the above and it worked fine.
    "Once I establish myself, deputy spade might be a groovy position"

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki GS400
    Thanks, did some work today, found split fuel lines, replaced o ring in petcock, dumped gas from tank, had some black dirt, changsd oil, some cleaning. Battery on order, all help greatly appteciated. Oil filter?
    Busted

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki DR-Z400SM
    Actually looking at the fiche for your motor it looks like it has a strainer rather than a true filter, you can ignore that bit. Replacing the strainer would be ~$40. Though it should probably be inspected (for damage) and cleaned the next time you change the oil. It is located under the cover that the oil drain plug came out of.
    "Once I establish myself, deputy spade might be a groovy position"

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki GS400
    Thanks,will check that strainer next time- Found a Suzuki manual for the GN 400X 80 model, may be able to make copies-
    Previos owner had removed turn signals and made a mount for the sreedometer, am thinking of maybe a bobber seat, course I aint got it running yet LOL- Maybe antique tags? Anybody running the A tags?
    Busted

Third gear and cruising
    My Bike(s)
    2005 GZ250 1973 "heavyoldandslow" GT750
    Check your state DMV web site for info on antigue tags, some states are very strict on when you can ride with "A" tags.
    I only ride 'em. I don't know what makes 'em work.
    Oddball: Donald Sutherland, Kelly's Heroes 1970

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki GS400
    Thanks for the help, will check on the A tags. She cranked up today, then cut off, did this several times, will not run any length of time, just fires and dies. Previous owner had removed the turn signals and the mount for the speedometer and tach , fabricated a mount for the speedo, tach missing. Switched ignition on after dark, taillight lit up bright , then faded out when I cranked - This seems to me to be a lot of wiring missing, I have the parts he removed, so guess I wll try to re install and see what happens. Front brake is locked up and I have a sore back. Any ideas appreciated,
    Busted( damn near)

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    In Virginia the antique tag restricts you to parades, shows, antique car/ bike tours, and other 'collector item only' activities only. You may not drive it every day, you can not use it to commute to work or school, or to joyride to the local bar every weekend, and you can never take it more than 250 miles away from home. So it is a very poor choice for a motorcycle other than a true collector's item, like a pre-WWII Harley or original Springfield Indian that the owner only puts a few miles a year on.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki GS400
    Thanks Dr. Bob, that settles that, now if I could get her running--
    Busted

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Busted View Post
    She cranked up today, then cut off, did this several times, will not run any length of time, just fires and dies.
    Are you using the choke ?
    Is the air filter in place ?

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki GS400
    Yep, using the choke, air filter in place, would this be typical carb needing clean, rebuild?
    Thanks for the input, Busted

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Busted View Post
    Yep, using the choke, air filter in place, would this be typical carb needing clean, rebuild?
    Thanks for the input, Busted
    Yes.......typically.

Ads