Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    1986 VFR700

need help to find a perfect/imperfect classic

ok so im a relativity new rider and i have the motorcycle bug. im looking to buy an old classic bike that i can fix up and take on special rides. i don't really know much about the older bikes so iv come to you to help me find one that fits.

i had an 1966 corvair and loved working on it, but hated how hard it was to find parts, so i need a bike that is or was rather popular so its easier to work on.

i really like the look of the post WW2 Triumph bikes if that means anything.

i don't plan on using this as a daily driver so any size engine is fine, would prefer larger then 250cc but it's no big deal.

the only limit i really have is price, cant be more then 1k max for a bike in rough condition.

so that's what im looking for if anyone can make a suggestion on a type of bike or model i can start looking at i would really appreciate it.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Y2K
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    $1000? you'll probably have to buy Japanese,pretty hard to get a Clasic Brit-bike in that range,maybe a bare frame with a title if you're lucky.
    Old Brits are pretty spendy for parts too,you'd be better off to save up a little more money and try to find a runner,maybe consider a Harley as parts are a lot more available and cheaper,you could probably pick up an old Ironhead Sporty needing some TLC in the $1500-$2000 range,about the same as a '70's Triumph but it'll cost less to go through.
    Either way you'll spend a lot more doing up one than what it's finished value will be if that maters to you.
    Good luck with your search,who knows you might make that elusive classic dirt cheap barn find we all dream of.

My Bike(s)
    1986 VFR700
    ok so sounds like triumph was the wrong type to pick haha. well an old Harley is ok with me to. and a Japanese bike would be ok as long as it was still popular enough to find parts for. after a little research i thought maybe a old honda c70 dream or a Harley/Aermacchi ss350.

and i understand ill end up dumping way more money into rebuilding a bike then it will be worth in the end. but i want this bike for the fun of rebuilding it not to turn over eventually for profit.

and your right, i guess i should just keep an eye out for sales and old barn yard bikes.

Y2K
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    A Harley/Aermacchi ss350 would be fun but pricey for parts,quite collectable these days,there are some pretty good parts sources out there considering how long they have been out of production.
    The Honda 70 is pretty small but parts are available for all those old Honda singles,a 90 might be a better choce though if you're going under that 250cc mark you mentioned.
    There are lots of 90's out there but keep in mind they are awfully slow if you plan on getting out in traffic,my second bike after the lawnmower engined mini I had way back in 1966 was a Honda 90 and I got a lot of smiles ouit of it but I woundn't want to ride one in traffic.
    I'd suggest maybe a CB 350 or 450,they can be made to look very much like a Brit cafe bike on the cheap and have enough speed to get around.
    450's are a little hard to come by but look better,350's are everywhere dirt cheap to buy and parts are around and not too out of this world in price.

The old 305/250 platform is also cool and they sound great,getting hard to come by though and parts a little harder to get,still if you found one cheap enough it would be a great project.

Last edited by Y2K; 01-06-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Y2K
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Hey here ya go and in your neck of the woods,an old Yamaha XS 650,I had one and they're fun bikes.
    Yamaha cloned the Triumph styling with these.

XS650

Right in your price range too at $1200,bet they'd take $800-$1000.

Lots of parts and a strong folowing on these,check this one out they clean up nice.

They make cool streetracker kits for the XS too.

Last edited by Y2K; 01-06-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2013 M109R, 2007 M50
    The ad says "does not currently run". Isn't that taboo?
    As long as it's not them that has to pay, no one really minds the debt.

Y2K
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by QZephyr View Post
    The ad says "does not currently run". Isn't that taboo?
    Also says needs points or upgraded ignition,if it's just in need of ignition the price is pretty good for an XS650.
    The OP is looking for a bike in the $1000 range to restore/customize,this looks like a pretty good candidate.

My Bike(s)
    1986 VFR700
    wow that XS650 is perfect. yeah if it ran that would be nice but the low price is more important for me.
    i guess these kind of bikes at this sort of price arnt too hard to find, i just needed help knowing what has easily available parts.
    if this go right i might be buying that XS650 soon.

Y2K
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by thetommy1903 View Post
    wow that XS650 is perfect. yeah if it ran that would be nice but the low price is more important for me.
    i guess these kind of bikes at this sort of price arnt too hard to find, i just needed help knowing what has easily available parts.
    if this go right i might be buying that XS650 soon.
    Good luck,let us know how it works out for ya.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki S 50
    My son has owned several of the old Suzuki GS series. Easy to get parts for and usually really cheap.

Ads