Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    In Training

Riding year round

OK guys, whos riding year round so far? I purchased my C50 in May 05 and have so far managed to ride to work almost everyday. Its been in the low 20's all week. I wear a heavy duty denim jumpsuit with my riding jacket over that. Lace up boots, full pull over head warmer, and use a set of Biker Paws (shown in pic )from Scootworks in Zebulan NC. ( I live near Scootworks.) Honestly, I really only feel the cold around my eyes, but I only drive 11 miles to work. Thats about as cold as it gets here so it looks like I may be able to ride all year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding year round-paws1.jpg  
    Last edited by Jiffyjam; 12-20-2005 at 06:33 PM.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

TurtleWax Taster
    My Bike(s)
    2003 Intruder 1500
    not a problem to ride year round

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    '05 Bandit1200S
    Cool. Yeah I ride year-round also, but it does get a little chilly every now and then in late Dec., Jan. and the first week or two of Feb. About every twenty years it can snow some. Otherwise, you can count on at least 1 or 2 days per week during mid-winter, when the temps are at least in the 50's. For example the last two Sundays in a row, were great for riding, with mid-50's the first time, and 60's the next time. This Friday is forecast to be about 74, so that's great riding!
    L.L.

'05 B12

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    Boulevard C90
    Hello all

My heart goes out to you guys. Here in SA we have no idea how lucky we are. We ride all year, every year, basically - all the time. Even in mid winter and accounting for wind chill factor, we probably never go much below 0 degrees C.

Regards and Merry Christmas to you all.

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    '03 Marauder 800
    It isn't the temperature that stops my riding for the season. It's the sand and salt used on the roads around here when it snows.
    "The great object is, that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun." - Thomas Jefferson

In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashinz2002
    Cool. Yeah I ride year-round also, but it does get a little chilly every now and then in late Dec., Jan. and the first week or two of Feb. About every twenty years it can snow some. Otherwise, you can count on at least 1 or 2 days per week during mid-winter, when the temps are at least in the 50's. For example the last two Sundays in a row, were great for riding, with mid-50's the first time, and 60's the next time. This Friday is forecast to be about 74, so that's great riding!
    L.L.

'05 B12

Here in the peidmont of NC its about the same as you say. Was 22 last night, will be near 60 this weekend. I work night shift so I get the coldest part.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Vulcan 1600 Classic

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by md2lgyk
    It isn't the temperature that stops my riding for the season. It's the sand and salt used on the roads around here when it snows.

That's the major problem here in SE Ohio too.. They use too much sand..as a matter of fact in the spring it takes about 6 weeks for the roads to clear before rolling on the throttle in the twisties...ya never know when you'll find that patch of sand under your wheels.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    C50
    I'm in the piedmont area also.

I ride everyday it's not raining or icy out. My usual ride to work is at 0630.

I wear my leather jacket w/liner over a sweater and a dress shirt. On the lower half I wear my chaps over dress pants and a pair of lightweight polypro-whatever long johns. They breathe well enough to keep me from getting hot in office temps during the day.

Those "Biker Paws" have got to be some of the ugliest things I've ever seen for a bike. With that said, I've been looking at getting some myself. There's been a few rides where they would of come in very handy.

Jiffyjam, I'll be in your area this weekend. I have family in Durham and Wake Countys and a cousin living in Zebulon. I'm hoping that Santa will stop by Scootworks on his way by my Mom's house. Next time I head that way on the bike I'll shout out. Maybe we can burn up some asphalt up your way.

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2005 M50 Black (Totaled)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiffyjam
    Here in the peidmont of NC its about the same as you say. Was 22 last night, will be near 60 this weekend. I work night shift so I get the coldest part.
    Glad to hear it is going to warm up some there this weekend. The family and I are heading to Burlington NC to spend Christmas with our families.

I have been trying to find a way to justify the expense of taking the bike home with me, because there are several roads I would love to take it down. I think I will just have to suffer the withdrawls of leaving it at home for a week.

As far riding year round, not a problem in south Florida.

In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by NCBoulevard
    I'm in the piedmont area also.

I ride everyday it's not raining or icy out. My usual ride to work is at 0630.

I wear my leather jacket w/liner over a sweater and a dress shirt. On the lower half I wear my chaps over dress pants and a pair of lightweight polypro-whatever long johns. They breathe well enough to keep me from getting hot in office temps during the day.

Those "Biker Paws" have got to be some of the ugliest things I've ever seen for a bike. With that said, I've been looking at getting some myself. There's been a few rides where they would of come in very handy.

Jiffyjam, I'll be in your area this weekend. I have family in Durham and Wake Countys and a cousin living in Zebulon. I'm hoping that Santa will stop by Scootworks on his way by my Mom's house. Next time I head that way on the bike I'll shout out. Maybe we can burn up some asphalt up your way.

Our bikes could be twins.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    C50
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiffyjam
    Our bikes could be twins.

Sorry couldn't resist...

In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by NCBoulevard

Sorry couldn't resist...

OK, here gos.............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding year round-sscn0908.jpg  
    Last edited by Jiffyjam; 12-22-2005 at 08:14 PM.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    C50
    Yep, very similar appearance. I've added a light bar since I took my pic though. Need to update.

With regard to the original subject of this thread...

I left the house this morning at 0630 it was 19F outside. I'm glad my ride to work is a short one!!

Member Investigator
    My Bike(s)
    '03 Santa Cruz
    [QUOTE=HEELSFAN]Glad to hear it is going to warm up some there this weekend. The family and I are heading to Burlington NC to spend Christmas with our families.

I have been trying to find a way to justify the expense of taking the bike home with me, because there are several roads I would love to take it down. I think I will just have to suffer the withdrawls of leaving it at home for a week. QUOTE]

Let me know if you do bring up here sometime, I'll hit those roads with ya. Hanging Rock is a great ride!!!
    Last edited by S2Design; 12-22-2005 at 06:10 PM.
    "In prosperity our friends know us; in adversity we know our friends." John Churton Collins

Ads