Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

Honda V.s. Yamaha V.s. Kawasaki

Recently sold H-D 1200 Sportster, and am in the market for a new bike. I need some advice, between a Honda 1300, 1100 V-Star, or 1500 Vulcan.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    2006 C50 Silver and Gray
    I owned one Honda and had no complaints. Now I own a c50 and have no complaints. I would say you need to sit on and test ride the bikes you are interested in and decide for yourself what works best for YOU.
    2006 C50 Silver and gray, Cobra Tall Sissy Bar, K&N Air filter, Suzuki bags, Custom Driver's Back Rest, Memphis Fats 19" windshield with lowers, added a 2nd horn, Power Commander PC3 USB, and Cobra Freeway bars.

Mitch

My Bike(s)
    Kawasaki '05 Vulcan 1500
    I just finished comparison shopping between the Vstar 1100 and Vulcan 1500 and bought an '05 1500. I looked at the Honda Sabre (1100), not the 1300, and didn't like it so much, so I can't help there. V Star has dual front disks, dual Mikuni's and the Classic comes with alloy wheels. The 07 Vulcan is FI, liquid cooled, has hydraulic valve lifters and wire wheels. The '05 that I got is carbureted, not FI. The Vulcan 1500 has a pretty good record and the lowest cost per cc and while I might eventually regret the wire wheels, that's the one I got. - Brian -

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2008 C90 SE
    I would go for the new V-Star 1300 it looks brilliant and has FI and liquid cooling to boot
    Ride Safe
    Hammersfan

Top Gear ! Full Throttle!
    My Bike(s)
    01 Bandit 1200
    I'm a Suzuki fan myself. Have you looked at the C90? It sure is purty. Besides that, I agree with Hammersfan, the V-Star is spot on.
    I am lurking. I am likely to be eaten by a grue.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    `96 FLHT
    Since you're moving on... I think I'd stay 1300cc and up... After 60K on my carbed Nomad (1500 Vulcan), I'm pretty pleased still and the ol'Nad has carried me comfortably halfway across the US several times, but the 1300 Honda is single-crankpin and enjoys a pretty strong dealer network... None will have the dealerships you're used to with HD, but in that regard Honda is probably the best -- Kawa is iffy, but thankfully you probably won't need `em often -- if you're also considering after-market farkles, then Yami or Honda... Kawa is okay too, but mostly because half the HD stuff fits, and the basic model has been around quite awhile now...
    Larry
    -- IBA

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    Honda VTX1300S
    I've got a Honda VTX 1300s.

It cost me 7 grand. That's it. I can see you're in the market for a mid to large sized V-Twin, and I suggest the VTX or the C90.

The VTX is cheaper, has more accessories, is easier to ride, and has lots of dealerships.

The C90 is more powerful, and better for touring.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Star Stratoliner 2005 KTM 625smc
    All cruisers mentioned ride REAL nice! Great ride, power, and reliability. But in all fairness the Harley linup seems to have been very reliable as well. But if you want more than nice, get a Roadliner/Stratoliner by Yammy/Star. This bike rides better than anything in Harley's line-up (seriously) and has more power than you can imagine. I could go on and on about the INCREDIBLE power, ride, fit and finish, etc. but I encourage you to do your own research instead. Ride/Read everything and trust your own feel, I think you or anyone would wind up on a Liner if they did!!! Lightweight handling (aluminum frame and swingarm), SERIOUS POWER, Fuel injection w/a reserve tank (no, harley's don't have that except VRod), clock/2 tripometers/reserve odometer, and gets plenty of attention from everyone, even hardcore harley riders! Did I mention the power???

I just test rode a 2007 Road King, Softail, and Nightrod special, while getting my bike ('06 Stratoliner) serviced. Hated the Roadkings ride, handlebars (narrow but could be changed for even more $$$), VERY underpowered, and tranny felt cheap. The softail had a bit nicer ride (go figure), and was still underpowered, and same tranny. The VRod was amazing! Wound up renting it for a week. That engine is incredible!!! Nice ride, seating position, and power. That type of bike is not really my cup of tea, but I'd be nice to have in the garage for blasts around the neighborhood. But any power cruiser is gonna be limited in practical use. Without any wind protection at about 100 your body is seriously uncomfortable!!! Yes I got it up to triple digits and it wanted more! Which is why Yammy's warrior, when jazzed up, is shifted to rear/mid controls for a great position while racing but VERY uncomfortable position while around town. Harley seems to be chasing Yamaha with that particular bike and from what I've heard the VRod is light years away from the warrior. Very smooth power delivery from the VRod though, seriously impressed!!!

I'm not your average metric bike rider though. When I was considering which bike to buy I had ridden everything I could for over a year. I wasn't looking for any particular brand, I'm NOT brand loyal. I wanted the best bike for RIDING and the best value. I like Harley's but can't justify spending the amount of money they demand, or the cost to own. I'd rather work less and ride more, just my opinion. The Harley I was considering was the RoadKing custom. But I would've had to throw lots of money at it to get it to perform the way I like, Not to mention removable windshield and chrome bits.

The guy I ride most with has a RoadKing a few years old and doesn't wave to anyone, especially harley riders. I on the other hand wave at everyone and feel we're all in this together! When your broke down with either mechanical problems, a flat tire, or whatever, and it's raining out and your cell phone's dead, it won't matter what brand of bike the guys riding that stopped to help you is on! And the cage that just almost ran you off the road not because they didn't see you, but because they just don't give a %%%% about bikes, chances are didn't do it because of the brand of bike you're on. To them we're all the same, it's a shame to us we're not!

Keep riding...

'06 Silver Straoliner
    Cobra pipes, Patrick Racing BAK, Power Commander

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2008 C90 SE
    Interesting post JROC Keep em coming !
    Ride Safe
    Hammersfan

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    V-Star 1100 Custom, Kawasaki 440
    I bought a Suzuki S50 this past June, a 2005 model. I really liked the bike and got many compliments on it. Then my wife decided she wanted to start riding with me. After 30 miles one evening she complained of the hard ride, the small seat and not enough passenger room to keep our helmets from hitting. The next morning I was at my dealer and bought a 2005 V-Star 1100 Custom. I love this bike. It has lots of power, is well balanced, looks great and my wife wife loves riding with me. Moral of the story, buy a big enough bike to start with.

Freemasons Riding Club

Patriot Guard Riders

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    C50 Boulevard
    Easy..Suzuki C50!
    Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    Black 04 Marauder 1600
    Buy one of these!

My Bike(s)
    shopping
    I realize that your post was awhile ago but I had to comment. I have been a large touring bike rider since way back, and Im ready for the next replacement for my Nomad FI, a great bike I sold last year.

I think the Roadliner (not the Stratoliner, due to the ridiculous bags), would be the IDEAL touring bike with a good windshield and hard bags. But there is still one problem that I will get to in a moment. The bags and trunk can come from Givi, with a little innovative adaptation.

It's the bars, guys and gals, the bars. When I went to sit on the bike at the Yamaha dealer, I just knew that I could not ride this superb cruiser long distances. The bars put my hands WAY outboard of my shoulders - and I have been riding long enough to know that this is a deal breaker. I am 5'11.

The dealer's staff knew nothing about this bike, what bars can be optioned, etc. I told them that they had a cash deal if they can deal with this one issue. I never heard back. Sheesh.

I want this bike, but I need bars that are more like the Nomads, which are almost perfect, falling right at hand, back just far enough, above waist level, not too much reach, perfect angle for the wrist.

If anyone knows a way around the bars issue for the Roadliner, I would sure appreciate guidance. I am in San Mateo area, new here from Boston, a tech transplant, so if you want to meet talk bikes and ride one day, I could use some contacts.

I am an excellent electrical troubleshooter, for anyone that needs that type of help.

Thanks everyone, I hope to be a Roadliner owner, one day.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Stratoliner
    I think Flanders is comming out with some bars for the liners soon. It's a new model and it takes a couple yeras to get the venders to tool up. I have a Midnight Stratty and the bars are just what I wanted. Then again my old Royal had Beach bars that were 41"s wide. I'm 6'1" and long limbed.
    Scooper

Ads