Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

Give the vz800 some immediate balls (intake mod)

Looking to get some more *UMPH* from your VZ800 Marauder? Here's a little air intake modification tutorial to give your bike just the boost it needs. This intake mod took me about 10minutes to do and the improvement to acceleration/idle was hugely noticable!

Tools you'll need:

1)Allan wrenches
    2)Phillips screw driver (the + one )
    3)Razor blade or sharp knife
    4)The fleshy grey muscle between your ears... (aka: Brain)

LETS GET CRACK'N!!!

Firstly, remove the chrome cover located directly under your seat. (Should be one allan bolt and then it just pops off)

Next, locate the air-intake (it's a little black rubber guy with a "pig-snout" type opening) and remove the 4 bolts holding the intake and inner-filter in place. Remove the assembly from the bike.

Should look like this:

Loosen the screw on the clamp the holds the rubber intake and the filter base/assembly together. Remove the rubber intake from it's base. Notice inside the rubber intake that 50% of the opening is sealed off. This flap is restricting airflow to your oxygen-hungry engine and thus choking out that little nip of power we all desire from our 800cc's...let us fix that...

Get your razor blade ready and hold it firmly between your index finger and your thumb. Raise the blade to the sky and scream "By the power of Grey Skull!... Give my engine the power!" (He-man quote essential to completion of this project) and carefully cut out that little flap while leaving the center fin in tact. Basically mimic the open hole on the opposit side.

re-attach the whole mess and insert it back into your engine with the rubber nozzle facing the front of the bike to increase air-flow.

Now fire her up and listen to the idle...better? Now take her for a run around the block...better? The answer is "hell yes" to both of those questions and you did it all for 0$ and ten minutes of your time! If you are really feeling saucy, you can trim up the chrome box that encases the assembly with a dremmel or add some holes in the right side of the box to increase flow to the intake while riding...

You can thank me by lighting em' up at 2am and waking up your neighbors ...BWOOOM!!!

cheers!
    -dru-

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Great writeup, Dru. A couple points I'd mention: Intake mods often lean the mixture. Is this bike EFI? If not, cold weather idle and throttle response might be adversely affected. Second, opening up the intake of any engine can sometimes reduce torque low in the rpm range. By increasing the effective airway, you might be reducing velocity of the intake air charge. I'd be curious to see a dyno graph before and after. Seems Suzuki had a reason for this design. Also, might turning the spout forward make it susceptible to rainwater induction? Just a thought.

These are just general observations since I don't know this bike at all.
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

Good points Rowdy, but here's what I've found about the mod:

1) I've been riding the bike for about a week now with the modification and the temperature outside has been approx. 45'-50' which has had no adverse effect on the bike's performance. I have yet to ride it in temperatures below that, but I assume the performance will be the same if not better because cold air has more density for a given volume and increasing the intake size provides cooler air in greater volumes thus providing more power to the motorcycle's internal-combustion engine. It could also positively effect the bike's overall fuel economy by keeping the engine cooler and decreasing the throttle needed to reach cruising speeds.
    2)After I opened up the airway the bike practically lifted off the ground in the 1st and 2nd gears. My low end torque shot through the roof and also my high RPMs were easier to reach. Before I even attempted the mod I was examining the intake and air draw of my engine just idleing. I noticed a dramatic suction coming from the intake and it could felt a good 3'' away from the port. This told me that the VZ800 is struggling to breathe even at low RPMs, just imagine the restriction when you give it some gas!!!
    3) Unless you're bike is doubling as a Sea-Doo, I wouldn't worry about water induction. It takes a good amount of water induction to cause hydrolock in an engine, but if it makes you feel better about riding in the rain to have the port turned to the aft of the bike then by all means do so. The increases will still be noticable whichever configuration you use. The port placement was simply an idea to increase the rider's "edge" by supplementing airflow using a "ram-air" type theory.

Hope that calms some qualms people may have over the mod, but like all aftermarket mods and configurations, the possability of perminent damage is there, but so is the possibilty of performance increase... you decide whether it's worth the risk or not!

cheers,
    -dru-

Dru, being a member of the Marauder-Intruder Gruop for the last 3 years, I guess I'll be the one to burst your bubble. This mod has come up several times and has never been able to get running correctly. By opening the rear airbox, (you didn't mention if you did this to the front airbox, since you mentioned that you did this in 10 minutes,) and not the front, you now have a LARGE difference in both cylinders. Front is running cooler, and the rear is running hotter, leaner. By opening up the airway and not compensating with more fuel, you've just pulled the pin on the Rauder hand grenade. These bikes run lean enough from the factory, and by not adjusting your idle mix screws or upping the needles and jets, I hope I'm not behind you on the highway when it blows up.
    I'm not knocking your write-up, but I wanted to inform everyone who reads it of the possible dangers involved.
    If you feel the need to debate this issue, I would suggest stopping by the MIG site and ask\post this over there and see what kind of a responce you get.
    **Removal of competitor forum link by Admin**
    Again I'm not bashing your post, just giving a heads-up to anyone that may try this.
    Last edited by Trapper; 10-23-2006 at 07:35 AM.

My Bike(s)
    2002 Marauder, 2000 Intruder 1400
    As JT says the Marauder comes very lean from the factory and any change to the air intake will cause problems. If you want more power then put in a set of K&N's with 125/135 mains and new needles. It's like a new motorcycle. I sell stage 2 and 3 jet kits for the Marauder at spacerjim.com ( not sure if I'm allowed to post that ) Stage 2 is K&N dropin filters with rejetting. Stage 3 is K&N clampons with much larger jets.

Beer. Nature's Unstoppable Force.

My Bike(s)
    '06 XB12X
    Guys...all your advice is appreciated.

However, one fact remains.......

The new VZ800......

Has fuel injection.

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    The one in the photos above doesn't exactly look new. When did they switch over?

J Teaser confirmed what I was getting at, which is that mods like that often come with hidden results. It's usually not that simple to get free power.
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

Beer. Nature's Unstoppable Force.

My Bike(s)
    '06 XB12X
    Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRed94
    The one in the photos above doesn't exactly look new. When did they switch over?

J Teaser confirmed what I was getting at, which is that mods like that often come with hidden results. It's usually not that simple to get free power.
    Ya know what?

That is entirely my bad. I was just reading another thread from the guys over the pond. They refer to the M50 by it's VIN code over there (VZ800), which is what p1 referred to it as in his opening statement. Looks like I inadvertently blended threads. Sorry! Still shaking loose some cobwebs from Biketoberfest.

Small side hijack. Clint....I got to sit on a '07 Bandit. Dare I say....?

No worries Intimid8er, you didn't manage to burst my bubble . Thus far the mod is working cleanly without any problems. I've been looking for signs of TOO lean a mixture
    (- Poor acceleration; the engine feels flat.
    - The engine won't respond when the throttle is snapped open, but it picks up speed as the throttle is closed. (A too-large main jet also mimics this symptom.)
    - The engine runs hot, knocks, pings and overheats.
    - The engine surges or hunts when cruising at part-throttle.
    - Popping or spitting through the carb occurs when the throttle is opened. Or popping and spitting occurs through the pipe on deceleration with a closed throttle.
    - The engine runs better in warm weather, worse in cool.
    - Performance gets worse when the air filter is removed.) and so far none of these conditions are present. The air seems to be evenly distributed throughout the engine and since the opening isn't all that dramatic, a jet kit doesn't seem to be needed...
    I'ma swing by a buddy of mine who works for the Suzuki delaership and ask him to check things out for me. Hopefully I can get some free testing done and I'll report my findings when i get em'!

Cheers!
    -dru-

PS: The bike is a '98 VZ800 Marauder. It's practically a decade old and isn't EFI. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that...

Well, since it was moderated out, anyone interested in the " competitor forum" please feel free to email me. And for Pete's sake, be careful when playing with the carb settings on the Rauder, it doesn't take much to get things off-kilter.
    Just a friendly warning.
    J.T.

Ads