Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50

Exclamation Necessary Valve Adjustment?

Hey guys,

You might remember me from my post the other day, just got my M50 with 700 miles, its had the first service but they didnt do the valve adjustments for whatever reason. I want to know how necessary this is, and how soon I need to get it done if it is necessary.

Thanks,
    Andy

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Third gear and cruising
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Yamaha V-Star 950T
    I'd be sure to get it done within the first 2000 miles or so, depending on how you ride, adn how much valve train noise you hear. A too tight valve with not make any noise, so don't take silence as a sign of no trouble at all.
    Land of the free
    Because of the brave
    Until Every One Comes Home

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50
    What does valve noise sound like?

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    2007 red and black c50
    My dealer said dont worry about it till I get 12000 miles on the engine. Anything before that is unessasary.

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    08 ElectraGlide ( IN Vivid Black)!!!!!!!!!!
    I did mine on my C50 at 13k.... I did it may self and by 18K I had it done by the shop. I was very happy with the outcome. That said I did not even bring it back for the 600 mile check as I did it my self and just checked over everything.
    The faster I go the behinder I get.....

US Navy 68-72 Amphibs, Little Creek, Va.

"The Old Man"

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50
    Is this hard to do yourself without a lot of mechanical experience? I went to the dealership today and they said the bike has to be room temp so i would have to leave it over night but I didnt know that so Ill have to schedule something if its not something i can do my self.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Bandit, '09 Wee Strom
    I don't understand why the zuki engineers didn't put hydraulic valve lash adjusters in the m and c50 to eliminate valve adjustment. Strange. It would be nice to know why.

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    09 M90 Black, 11 Star Stryker
    Most likley to save a few bucks a bike, another reason to rade up to a bigger bike and some extra service work for the dealers. What else could it be?
    I just plan on doing everything twice when I start it and that way when it takes 3 times to get it right I'm only half as mad.

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    2007 red and black c50
    So you have to come in a pay these huge prices to get you valves adjusted.

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    08 ElectraGlide ( IN Vivid Black)!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcrist View Post
    Is this hard to do yourself without a lot of mechanical experience? I went to the dealership today and they said the bike has to be room temp so i would have to leave it over night but I didnt know that so Ill have to schedule something if its not something i can do my self.
    Yes it has to be cold to be done. There is one bolt in particular that is a bear to get at. There is across member right over it and no room to turn it. The valve adjusters them selves are in hard to get at locations and require a fine touch. Get a shop manual as there is a procedure you use to set it up right so the adjustment will come out correct. I had the daler do mine, they kept it over night and it cost me about 160.00.
    I did solve that probelm of by getting hydrolic lifters for my bike but it cost me about 20k......up graded to a 08 Harley Electraglide classic.
    The faster I go the behinder I get.....

US Navy 68-72 Amphibs, Little Creek, Va.

"The Old Man"

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2006 M50 Boulevard
    The Suzuki shop manual I have for my VZ800 engine says to bring engine to normal operating tempature before adjusting valves, I have checked mine twice since ive owned it and only had to make minor adjustments to the exhaust side, intake side was within specs....personally I think your " dealer " is blowing smoke up your pipes....LOL....find a new dealer..
    Norman Xanders
    "Hunting is a Wildlife experiance"

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki C50
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcrist View Post
    What does valve noise sound like?
    A LIGHT tapping noise at the top of the engine, fuel injectors have a light ticking noise.

Quote Originally Posted by HITEST View Post
    The Suzuki shop manual I have for my VZ800 engine says to bring engine to normal operating tempature before adjusting valves, I have checked mine twice since ive owned it and only had to make minor adjustments to the exhaust side, intake side was within specs....personally I think your " dealer " is blowing smoke up your pipes....LOL....find a new dealer..
    Are you absolutely SURE about that? I've been adjusting motorcycle valves for about 30 years and EVERY ONE of them needs to be adjusted COLD.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2006 M50 Boulevard

Oops

Quote Originally Posted by C90T Rider View Post
    Are you absolutely SURE about that? I've been adjusting motorcycle valves for about 30 years and EVERY ONE of them needs to be adjusted COLD.

I must have been having a bad day or something...It is adjusted in a cold state...my apology.
    Norman Xanders
    "Hunting is a Wildlife experiance"

In The Zone
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Yamaha Vstar 950
    If you have some mechanical abilities you can do the valves yourself-get a FACTORY SUZUKI manual it helps alot, also check around on here for the tip of removing the throttle body, makes life alot easier. Its time consuming, and you have to be patient but it can be done. did mine yesterday-8500miles, getting ready for riding season, had to adjust two valves. I had also done them at 4500 miles. I just check them at the begining of the year when I get her outta storage.
    As far as the noise, if the valves are tight you wont know it until something very bad happens, if they are loose you will definantly notice it-loud tapping noise off the top of the motor-you wont miss it.

If you have no patients or fine touch, then I would let a dealer do it because it can be frustrating to do.

M50 Manual

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    -Benjamin Franklin-

Ads