Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    In Training

What's the fastest/most powerful cruiser?

Just wondering if there are any cruisers that can keep up with a streetbike such as a Yamaha R1, etc.? Maybe the new m109? or other brands?

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    You mean straight speed? I hope not. Those streetbikes wouldn't be worth the money since that's what they're designed to do.

In Training
    well fastest accelerating cruiser?

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    2004 Yamaha Warrior XV1700
    2009 Yamaha VMAX? 285 hp.
    yea sorry Imeant 185 hp but it says actually 197 hp
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/upto...otorcycle.html
    $17,500
    Last edited by burnchassis; 08-03-2008 at 05:31 PM.

In Training
    how could it possibly have 285 HP with only a 1679cc engine? the m109 with a 1750cc engine doesn't put out more than around 110hp..

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    For years I was single. During this time, my buddy tried to have this same discussion with me so many times. He rides streetbikes. I ride cruisers. I always got the babes and the dates. This fact would bother him so to make himself feel better he'd frequently brag about how his bike was faster. So one day he bragged and I had had enough. I told him acceleration was great, but that I'd rather have the babe on the back of my bike than have her rapidly disappearing in my mirrors. He never mentioned it again.

If I name a streetbike that a cruiser will beat, the usual response from streetbikers is "well, that's not a real streetbike". It's pointless.

TurtleWax Taster
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50
    Yeah, VMax, M109R, Warrior, and V Rod/Street Rod are probably the tops amongst cruisers. These might sort of keep up, but a well built literbike, or for god's sake a Hayabusa, will just outrun them.

But they're built for very different uses than sportbikes. Cruisers typically have more torque, while sporties typically have more horsepower.
    "He's down there right now, looking up at us."
    M50 Service Manual || He was here just a minute ago. || Don't click here (and especially HERE)

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    2008 VZ800/Z Black
    What the eff does this have to do with the VZ800?

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Quote Originally Posted by squale View Post
    how could it possibly have 285 HP with only a 1679cc engine? the m109 with a 1750cc engine doesn't put out more than around 110hp..
    It doesn't. I think he meant 185.

Quote Originally Posted by diamond_jim View Post
    ...streetbikes...... streetbike ... streetbikers...streetbike....
    I assume you mean "sportbike"? Where do you ride yours if not on the street?

Quote Originally Posted by Copronymous View Post
    Cruisers typically have more torque, while sporties typically have more horsepower.
    I don't think that's true even in a typical case. Most 600 sportbikes have 35-45 lbs-ft. So does an 800 cruiser. Most literbikes have 70-100 lbs-ft. So do the heavy cruisers (if they're lucky).
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

My Bike(s)
    2002 385HP Boss Hoss V8
    As far as blatant speed and torque, the Boss Hoss 502 with 502 HP and 567 ft/lb of torque. Probably takes the crown here. But they were discontinued from production in 2007 because of EPA regulations. Some Boss Hoss dealers offer a special build for the big-block bikes, and will install a 606ci all aluminum Donovan engine. Many of these will easily reach over 700HP all naturally-aspirated. Then you can start building HP with nitrous, etc. But for production bikes, the factory built 502 has the most "punch" as far as I know. But...mine has only 385HP, as it is a smallblock V8 engine, but it has enough for me (most of the time )
    Mike

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    I prefer sportbike myself but was just using Squale's terminology to help explain it to him.

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by EastnMike View Post
    As far as blatant speed and torque, the Boss Hoss 502 with 502 HP and 567 ft/lb of torque. Probably takes the crown here. But they were discontinued from production in 2007 because of EPA regulations. Some Boss Hoss dealers offer a special build for the big-block bikes, and will install a 606ci all aluminum Donovan engine. Many of these will easily reach over 700HP all naturally-aspirated. Then you can start building HP with nitrous, etc. But for production bikes, the factory built 502 has the most "punch" as far as I know. But...mine has only 385HP, as it is a smallblock V8 engine, but it has enough for me (most of the time )
    Mike

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Yamaha Raider
    Quote Originally Posted by Copronymous View Post
    Yeah, VMax, M109R, Warrior, and V Rod/Street Rod are probably the tops amongst cruisers. These might sort of keep up, but a well built literbike, or for god's sake a Hayabusa, will just outrun them.

But they're built for very different uses than sportbikes. Cruisers typically have more torque, while sporties typically have more horsepower.
    You forgot to mention the new Raider
    2009 Yamaha Raven Raider
    *V&H Big Radius 2-1
    *Cobra Fi2000R O2
    *Krank Vent
    *Custom LED Intergrated Taillight
    *Kury Scythe Mirrors
    *Zombies

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki Boulevard M50z(sold) 2008 GSX650F
    Quote Originally Posted by squale View Post
    Just wondering if there are any cruisers that can keep up with a streetbike such as a Yamaha R1, etc.? Maybe the new m109? or other brands?
    Maybe the Triumph Rocket3 could hang with one for a little while, though I hope for the riders sake it's on a straight road. I think stock 0-60 in just under 3 sec, and 0-100 in just over 7sec. Damn things a tank tho.

Fact is, it really doesn't matter if it could accelerate faster, or as fast, or come close to the R1's top end speed. Even if it could, it could never be driven like the nimble R1.

2007 Suzuki M50z Limited
    Silver w/ Tribal Ghost Flames
    (Gone but never forgotten)
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F
    not a GSXR, not a Bandit, , not a Katana, a GSXF

My Bike(s)
    2002 385HP Boss Hoss V8
    Diamond Jim...for you:

Mike

Ads