Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    C109R

C109 Bully FI Controller Settings

I installed the Bully Controller today. Anyone have a bully on a C109??? What settings are you using for a stock bike? How is it working for you?

This thread is for a discussion of the best settings for the Bully on a C109! I will share what I find out as I experiment.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    09 Suzuki C109R
    I have about 800 miles on with mine now. I have been doing a little experimenting with it. I just richened up a bit to stop the surging at first. Now I have been trying to get the milage up a little more now. 37 mpg right now.
    J.D.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    C109RT
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpatractor View Post
    I have about 800 miles on with mine now. I have been doing a little experimenting with it. I just richened up a bit to stop the surging at first. Now I have been trying to get the milage up a little more now. 37 mpg right now.
    J.D.
    When you are at cruising speed do these two things. drop your Green Mode back to 1.0 or 0.0 then raise the Yellow/Blue Mode up about 1 setting, maybe 6.0. The key is to keep the Bully showing green lights while you are cruising and when you just barely grab more throttle the lights go yellowish-orange.

This will give you the best fuel mileage and if you can keep the speeds down to about 55 you can net high 40's and 3 times i have hit 52mpg. This was summertime with warmer weather, supreme fuel and no throttle grabbing. Otherwise I go around 70mph and get 42+mpg and if I run at 85mph (which does happen) I get around 35.

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    09 Suzuki C109R
    Thanks Gman, I've been trying different setting and such and then checking my results. I do like the Bully. I've been waiting to hear how the new pipes are working for ya.
    J.D.

My Bike(s)
    C109R
    I have been really happy with the performance of my C109 since I put on a timing retard eliminator. The bike takes off like a rocket. I have to be more careful not to break the tire loose, but wow it's quick.

I added the bully controller to attempt to get rid of the engine spark knock (some would say ping) that is a fuel octane problem: we only get 91 octane in California. Adding octane booster works, but is not a good solution. I changed the spark plugs two steps colder (stock is #7, I went to #9) but that did not help with the spark knock at all on my bike.

Have been riding with the bully settings at 2 for green and 1.5 for yellow. Bike runs fine, engine knock is less, but still pretty strong. I will try to crank it up a little at a time so I can be sure what the result really is. I tried ramping it up to about 3, but was concerned that I was flooding the bike.

If I understand it right, the green setting is low rpm range, yellow is mid range, red it full trottle. Is there any fuel being added at idle? If I ramp it up, am I adding fuel at idle?

On a side note, has anyone put pipes on their C109 yet? Would like to hear about people's experience with after-market pipes, as I am about ready to go for it. I know that the manufacturers are really slow to come out with pipes for our bikes, and there are not may available yet. Soon I hope.

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    09 Suzuki C109R
    Quote Originally Posted by AL109 View Post
    I have been really happy with the performance of my C109 since I put on a timing retard eliminator. The bike takes off like a rocket. I have to be more careful not to break the tire loose, but wow it's quick.

I added the bully controller to attempt to get rid of the engine spark knock (some would say ping) that is a fuel octane problem: we only get 91 octane in California. Adding octane booster works, but is not a good solution. I changed the spark plugs two steps colder (stock is #7, I went to #9) but that did not help with the spark knock at all on my bike.

Have been riding with the bully settings at 2 for green and 1.5 for yellow. Bike runs fine, engine knock is less, but still pretty strong. I will try to crank it up a little at a time so I can be sure what the result really is. I tried ramping it up to about 3, but was concerned that I was flooding the bike.

If I understand it right, the green setting is low rpm range, yellow is mid range, red it full trottle. Is there any fuel being added at idle? If I ramp it up, am I adding fuel at idle?

On a side note, has anyone put pipes on their C109 yet? Would like to hear about people's experience with after-market pipes, as I am about ready to go for it. I know that the manufacturers are really slow to come out with pipes for our bikes, and there are not may available yet. Soon I hope.

I know GMan is planning on putting pipes on soon, if not already. I like my Bully also. It looks like most of the manufacturers should be making pipes soon. Alot of venders list them but nobody seems to have them.
    J.D.

My Bike(s)
    2008 Boulevard C109RT

Wishing for chrome

I too am longing to here the sound of my 109 unleashed. I used to ride a 2006 C90T with Cobra slashdowns and a PowerCommander 3. It was a really nice set up and would run with the best of them other cruisers. I got the first glimpse of the C109RT (Blue/White) and said I gotta have it.

The only add on that I have done is the JSD TRE mod and yeah, it really does turn this big bike into a rocket. I know that 1st gear will net just under 65 mph before the rev limit cuts off the fuel and spark. Second gear is like the adrenalin rush as you scream past 90 and then hit third gear.

Well I think fourth and fifth gear are kinda just there to give you some cruise range but it can still pull you back at 110 mph in 4th.

What can I say, its a great ride, well done Suzuki.

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    09 Suzuki C109R
    Quote Originally Posted by sehall6 View Post
    I too am longing to here the sound of my 109 unleashed. I used to ride a 2006 C90T with Cobra slashdowns and a PowerCommander 3. It was a really nice set up and would run with the best of them other cruisers. I got the first glimpse of the C109RT (Blue/White) and said I gotta have it.

The only add on that I have done is the JSD TRE mod and yeah, it really does turn this big bike into a rocket. I know that 1st gear will net just under 65 mph before the rev limit cuts off the fuel and spark. Second gear is like the adrenalin rush as you scream past 90 and then hit third gear.

Well I think fourth and fifth gear are kinda just there to give you some cruise range but it can still pull you back at 110 mph in 4th.

What can I say, its a great ride, well done Suzuki.

My Bike(s)
    C109R
    Have been riding with the bully controller on my C109 for a while now. I find that anything over 2-2 is too much fuel for this stock bike. Running at 2-1.5 is about optimal, and helps to diminish the knock somewhat. Overall, this solution did not do what I had hoped it would, but helps. It is possible that playing with mode 4 and 5 could yet make a difference, but time will tell.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    C109RT
    Let me know if you have your settings set best for you yet.

Also let me know what changes you have made to your setup if any.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    Gman- does it come in yellow?

You MUST obey the pug dog!

Ads