Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    800 Intruder

Intruder clutch problem.

My intruder's clutch wont engage. It is acting like there is air in the lines and will not build up pressure. It's a hydrolic clutch. It was fine the last time I rode it but now the clutch doesnt work at all. Has anyone had the happen to them? Anyone know what I am talking about?
    I would have said sorry for spilling gasoline all over him, except he burnt to death when I accidentally dropped my cigar on him.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Bandit, '09 Wee Strom
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimbly View Post
    My intruder's clutch wont engage. It is acting like there is air in the lines and will not build up pressure. It's a hydrolic clutch. It was fine the last time I rode it but now the clutch doesnt work at all. Has anyone had the happen to them? Anyone know what I am talking about?
    When was the last time you bled the clutch, 1998? Bleed the clutch out and you should be fine, dot 4 BTW.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki S 50
    Here's DrBob's website. He has directions on how to bleed your clutch. http://www.bobhenneman.info/intruder.htm

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    My intruder's clutch wont engage.
    I hope that the problem really is that it won't DIS-engage; that's the most common condition, caused by a leak or a master cylinder failure.

If it really won't ENgage, then that is a much different (and probably more complicated and expensive) problem.

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    '06 C90 / FJR1300-ABS
    Just to get past semantics, are you saying the bike is in gear all the time even when you engage (squeeze) the clutch, or it won't move forward when the clutch lever is released? These are two different problems.

If the bike stays in gear with the clutch engaged, bleed the system and check hose integrity.
    If the bike won't move forward with the clutch released, change the clutch springs or clutch plates or both.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    Quote Originally Posted by Camp21178 View Post
    Here's DrBob's website. He has directions on how to bleed your clutch. Bob's VS-800 Intruder Page
    You beat me to it LOL! This is a common problem with Intruders- change the clutch fluid every couple years to avoid it. Bleeding it usually will get you going again, but new fluid is usually best.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post
    Just to get past semantics,

If the bike stays in gear with the clutch engaged, bleed the system and check hose integrity.
    If the bike won't move forward with the clutch released, change the clutch springs or clutch plates or both.
    Nice try......but you've got it backwards.....as far as the semantics goes anyway.

The clutch is engaged when your hand is NOT on the lever and the clutch plates are together.

It is released when you squeeze the lever and the plates are seperated.

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    '06 C90 / FJR1300-ABS
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Nice try......but you've got it backwards.....as far as the semantics goes anyway.

The clutch is engaged when your hand is NOT on the lever and the clutch plates are together.

It is released when you squeeze the lever and the plates are seperated.

I didn't have it backwards and never used the term engaged or disengaged. That is the problem with semantics and I was trying to relate the movement of the bike to the clutch lever position, not the clutch engagement. I believe the beer fog was in-effect.
    Last edited by Cirquerider; 10-26-2010 at 02:01 PM.

My Bike(s)
    700 Intruder
    My 700 Intruder's clutch handle has become greasy. I believe the master cylinder needs to be rebuilt now. I'm not much of a wrench but can still handle minor repairs jobs. Is this a simple or tough job?

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickstart View Post
    My 700 Intruder's clutch handle has become greasy.
    I believe the master cylinder needs to be rebuilt now.
    Define "greasy"; and where on the handle did you notice this ??
    If brake fluid is leaking OUT of the M/S case, "rebuilding" may not fix the problem.
    OTOH, the slippery feel might be coming from something else.
    I wouldn' rush into tearing the M/S apart.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    700 Intruder
    Define "greasy"; and where on the handle did you notice this ??
    If brake fluid is leaking OUT of the M/S case, "rebuilding" may not fix the problem.
    OTOH, the slippery feel might be coming from something else.
    I wouldn' rush into tearing the M/S apart.
    It's a slow leak that's accumulating on the clutch handle. of a slick, oil like fluid, that appears to be light in color. My bike has over 53,000 miles on it. And I've never run into this problem before on this bike or any previous bikes too.

My Bike(s)
    It's a slow leak that's accumulating on the clutch handle.
    There are two approaches to take here; I prefer the first:

Clean everything on and near the MS, handle and pivot points with something like 409 to get all the greasy stuff off.
    Then sprinkle a little talcum powder around and watch closely for the point of the actual leak.
    While not likely maybe, it is possible that you are just seeing excess external lube on the handle pivot point migrating down the lever.

The second approach is to do a "complete" brake job, including rebuilding the MS with a new cover seal too........and pray that you stumble across the actual problem in the process.
    I don't like that approach because it depends too much on luck.

My Bike(s)
    700 Intruder
    There are two approaches to take here; I prefer the first:

Clean everything on and near the MS, handle and pivot points with something like 409 to get all the greasy stuff off.
    Then sprinkle a little talcum powder around and watch closely for the point of the actual leak.
    While not likely maybe, it is possible that you are just seeing excess external lube on the handle pivot point migrating down the lever.

The second approach is to do a "complete" brake job, including rebuilding the MS with a new cover seal too........and pray that you stumble across the actual problem in the process.
    I don't like that approach because it depends too much on luck.
    I'm not sure why it would need a brake job when it's my clutch that appears to be the problem. I'm sorry to ask but what is "MS" suppose to stand for?

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50
    I'm pretty sure he meant "clutch job" ...and ms probably stands for 'm'aster 's'ylinder...lol I don't know about that last one...

I'm with him on the first proposed method of solving this problem. Its cheap and easy and may help you pinpoint the issue without a complete rebuild.
    2k8 SE, 2k5 Red Parts, Mustang Vintage Wide Seat, Suzuki OEM Passenger Floorboards, 28" Drag Bars, Ken's 1" Spacers, 2nd Gen Chin Spoiler, Undertail Eliminator Kit, Relocated Turn Signals and Tag, Morton's Violators, K&N Drop In, PC-V retrofit, De-Paired, Custom Headlight, Blacking out the Chrome, Found better brakes - just have to get them on!!!

My Bike(s)
    I'm not sure why it would need a brake job when it's my clutch that appears to be the problem. I'm sorry to ask but what is "MS" suppose to stand for?
    What a mess I made. Sorry.

Hydralic brakes and clutches are essentially the same. I meant a clutch flush and re-build.
    Both cylinders and lines, as necessary.

My brain dead MS was intended as a reference to the Master Cylinder M/C; don't know where that S came from.

Ads