Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    1986 Suzuki Intruder VS700GLF

1986 Suzuki Intruder 700 fuel pump issue.

My fuel pump (or at least what I think is the fuel pump) clicks/whirs erratically. I changed the spark plugs and ran SeaFoam through it, hoping it was just a fouled plug or something like that.s I tried to ride it today, I got it half way down the street before the bike just stopped responding, throttle did nothing and it started to lug and jerk before it stalled. I have no idea what to do and I need to fix this in 1-2 days and it has to be cheap. Any ideas? What do I do?

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6061/...6f64c925_b.jpg

that's the picture of what is clicking and grinding, I'm pretty sure it's the fuel pump, but i'm not sure.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    Yes, that is the fuel pump. It is an electromagnetic type, so you will hear some noise as it operates, but should not hear a lot. The pump is not serviceable, but you can test it before you go out and buy a new one.

Disconnect the two fuel lines, making sure the petcock is turned to "off" and you have something to plug the lines, like golf tees or screws. Loosen the clamp, pull the pump down, and unplug the electrical connector.

Get a bowl of liquid, the best choice being kerosene (it won't spark over to a flash fire, and a little left in the pump will noit hurt the bike) but gas is OK if you are careful and do the test outside. Run a piece of hose from the side of the pump that normally connects to the gas tank to the bowl of liquid. Run another bit of hose to an empty container. Connect a jumper wire from the black/ brown terminal on the pump to the positive side of the battery, and another wire from the black/ white terminal to the negative side of the battery. Let the pump run for exactly 60 seconds. The pump should transfer a touch over 1 1/4 pints of liquid to the previously empty container. If not, the pump is shot and you need a new one, about $100. If it does move that much fluid, your problem is elsewhere and you saved 100 bucks.
    Do not do this test with the pump on the bike, as the gravity feed from the tank will screw up the results and make the pump flow more fuel that in the bench test.

Looking at the picture, I see a bunch of non-original wiring, and some toggle switch on the fuse box that does not belong there. So if your pump is fine I'd start looking into that rigged-up electrical system you have there.
    Last edited by DrBob; 08-28-2011 at 11:21 PM.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweentown122 View Post
    I have no idea what to do and I need to fix this in 1-2 days and it has to be cheap. Any ideas? What do I do?
    Maybe get some more realistic expectations ??

Probably the only "cheap" fix would be if you left the petcock set to OFF.....or maybe if it has a plugged up fuel filter.

Otherwise, follow the Dr.

My Bike(s)
    Well. I found that all I did was switch the switch to the "off" position and fouled my plugs >_<. The switch, come to find out is the poor-man's version of the Harley Davidson anti-theft switch where the bike wont start correctly or something. But! Fixing all that revealed another problem. I changed the plugs, ran SeaFoam through the gas tank and ran it out (or at least I think I ran it all out) and thought it'd be good the next day...

I started it up today and rode it around the block a little bit... it had a LOT more power than before, i was very surprised. But, now I have burning oil-like smoke coming from the rear of the engine and from the exhaust pipes... and on the left side exhaust, smoke is coming out of the connector/clamp area. Definetly pissed me off out when I parked. One problem fixed, another arises, another problem fixed, now this starts happening.

My Bike(s)
    , ran SeaFoam through the gas tank and ran it out (or at least I think I ran it all out) and thought it'd be good the next day...

But, now I have burning oil-like smoke coming from the rear of the engine and from the exhaust pipes...
    If you are going to use stuff, you should AT LEAST use it according to the directions.

What do you mean by "ran it THROUGH the gas tank" and "RAN it all out" ??

How much fresh gas did you put back in the tank ??
    I suspect that you have WAY more than the recommended amount of Seafoam in the gas and the smoke will stop when you get it burned up or sufficiently diluted. If that takes burning a whole tank, then you might need to change the plugs yet AGAIN.

Clue: Having a fuel switch turned OFF......will NOT cause your plugs to foul.
    Looks to me like you are just flailing around blindly and got lucky.
    That streak may not continue forever.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 08-29-2011 at 07:40 PM.

My Bike(s)
    I followed the directions to the letter, 1 oz per 1 gallon of gas for which I used 2 oz because I put 2 gallons of fresh gas in. 'Running it out' was my description of it (the SeaFoam) going through the motions of the mechanics and coming out the exhaust. Like the description under my name says I'm a newbie. I'm only 20 and new to bikes, i'm just looking for answers, like my friend who's been riding for 37 years said "You're not mechanically retarded, you're just a novice."

Anyways the switch and the plugs were not related, the 'AND' was to show that there were 2 problems with the bike, granted I needed answers quickly because I leave for NYC in 4 days so I rushed and grammatically speaking it wasn't right, so the time-line does look convoluted. Anyways, the two weren't related. A couple of days ago I accidentally shifted up when I pulled my foot off the peg to shift down, when I shifted to what I thought was neutral it was still second therefore flooded it when I started to slow down, the bike started to lug. After I told my friend what happened he said I fouled them so I changed them. But when I replaced the plugs it still wouldn't start, and that is when I found that it's because the switch inhibits starting so people have a hard time stealing it or something of that nature.

I fixed the plugs, fixed the fuel pump issue. My issue now is that I think it's over-heating. The engine and exhaust are heating up much more rapidly then when I first got the bike. When I parked it in the driveway today the rear of the engine, the clamp/connector area of the left hand exhaust, and both exhaust ends were spitting a little bit of blue smoke which confused the crap out of me. Which is why I'm on here asking what on earth do I do.

Better?
    Last edited by halloweentown122; 08-29-2011 at 10:27 PM.

My Bike(s)
    When I parked it in the driveway today the rear of the engine, the clamp/connector area of the left hand exhaust, and both exhaust ends were spitting a little bit of blue smoke which confused the crap out of me. Which is why I'm on here asking what on earth do I do.
    The pipes are probably getting hotter because it is finally running right............IS IT RUNNING GOOD NOW ???

Blue smoke usually means that it's burning oil.....and that is NOT a good sign.

I'm afraid that you need someone to give you a hands-on opinion.
    Even with a perfect description of the problem, it is often not practical to come up with any good advice without being there.

How long have you had this bike ??

My Bike(s)
    I changed the oil and oil filter today and rode it for about 15 minutes after to see if it continued to happen. When I drained it I found out the guy put about a half a quart of oil more than he should have, may have had something to do with the blue smoke, beats the hell out of me. Anyways, hot pipes but no smoke so you're right, they're probably hot as hell because they're finally running right. With that seafoam I blew a crap ton of carbon out of that sucker so any heat insulator it had in there is gone and now it shifts like cake and it's idle purrs now compared to when I first got it. As for how long i've had the bike, I've had it for approximately a month and a half now and have done nothing but work on it after classes/work. So finally having it run well is a relief.

My Bike(s)
    So finally having it run well is a relief.
    Yea !!

Now to finish the fuel system cleaning, get some "real" carb cleaner, like Gumout or Berrymans B12 Chemtool and give it a good dose of that. Repeat every 3 months or so. Keep the Seafoam and use it as fuel stabilizer for the off season; that's what it was originally designed to do.

P.S. Just by putting a little Seafoam in the gas, any crap load of anything that came out was either contamination IN the gas or oil and carbon built up in the mufflers.

Ads