Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50

Let's talk earbuds/headphones for cruising!

I'm wondering if anyone has come up with any creative ways to listen to your tunes while cruising. Let's talk about what works and what doesn't.

Personally, I thought that in ear headphones would do the trick, but they keep falling out of my ear during the ride and now it's uncomfortable and I can't hear the music in that ear. ANNOYING! I tried several earbuds and the only one's that seam to seal well and stay in my ear seem to be from Radius. Not perfect, but best so far.

Best Bass Earphones, Earbuds With Bass | Best Bass Earbuds | Best Earbuds

what innovations have you guys come up with that seem to do the trick? Or is there an earbud that maybe you found that works well?
    Just can't get enough of my M...

A wise man once told me:
    "Herd mentality is based on laziness and ignorance... think for yourself & do your own homework!" -K.E.J.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    GS500F
    I have a set that fit into the ear, but have a wire frame that wraps around the ear to keep them in place. They were super inexpensive at Radio Shack. On road trips I use the sometimes. Mine also have a volume adjustment which is handy. When you are stopped you want to lower the volume, but you need tp boost it at speed. Although I have used them on and off, the condituions for use must be Right. You need to be Really Traffic Free and not get too wraaped up in the tunes. It does affect you concentration, more so than in a cage.

VII
    Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    On Fire
    I use a bluetooth comm system Cardo Systems Scala Rider G4 - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore when riding since the ppl I ride with all got them too. It lets you also listen to music and answer your phone with it as well. I also own a sony bluetooth earbud headset I use to listen to music at work off my ipad. It is also supposed to be able to answer calls with when paired with a phone but I have not tried that feature. These earbuds http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DRBT100CX.../dp/B001QXDSO0 are the best fitting ones I have ever owned (i hate things over my ears) They fit well enough for me to mow the lawn and weed eat without them falling out if that helps.
    Black Hypercharger, Cooley's 2" fluted risers, 32" Debrix drag bars, Tsukayu Coner hardbags w/integrated turn signals, Hard Krome 2.5 Strippers Black, Power Commander V, Lowered 2.5", Transformer grips, Cobra Freeway bars, Gorilla alarm, BikeMaster Sickle Mirrors, Clear turn signal lenses w/chrome tipped bulbs, Debadged tank, Cooley's rear filler plate, Custom Flame paint

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '11 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    I have a set of Sony earbuds I bought from Best Buy. Similar in design to what VII posted but wired. Work pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Handy
    Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you.
    Loud pipes and other myths.
    R.I.P. Gregory Brewer 01/31/51-07/01/12

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50
    Isnt it illegal to operate a motor vechile with earphones? I mean I know Alot of bikers that wear them but ive always wondered about the legality.

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    09 m50
    Yes it is. So are loud pipes! But since only yuppies follow the law it really doesn't bother bikers. I won't mention any yuppies by name...but there are some here

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

TurtleWax Taster
    My Bike(s)
    99 Suzuki Marauder
    In washington it is illegal, however.... If you only have one ear bud in, its the same as using a cell phone headset which is OK. The purpose of the ear buds being illegal is being able to hear traffic. If you only use one, you can listen to traffic with the other ear. Its all in how you look at it

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using Tapatalk

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2009 M50 SE
    I just use a pair of in ear canal skull candy buds. Run the cord down my shirt and plug into my iphone. Having a full face Arai helmet helps keep them in place.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironjoey View Post
    In washington it is illegal, however.... If you only have one ear bud in, its the same as using a cell phone headset which is OK. The purpose of the ear buds being illegal is being able to hear traffic. If you only use one, you can listen to traffic with the other ear. Its all in how you look at it

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using Tapatalk
    most states have similar laws. there are several in helmet speaker systems that will mount under/around the padding for your tunes.

My Bike(s)
    '11 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    Nolan makes a whole line of bluetooth capable helmets

Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 VZ800/Z
    There is also the Vtune helmet and one other truely integrated audio / BT helmet. Many helmets now offer factory installed systems. These are still the add on style systems and double the price of the helmet. They are a little spendy compared to the Vtune. I use some $30 Skullcandy head phones tucked into the cheekpad voids of my full face. I removed the over head bar from the head phones and routed the wire under the pads and bottom plastic ring of the helmet that holds the pads in place. They fit against the ear (not over) with soft padding and are reasonably comfortable. It works pretty well except I have to pocket the cord EVERY time I throw it on. On the upside I never need to charge it. I often ride with my phone turned to "airplane safe" disableing the antena so that it doesn't crash while riding in and out of signal as well as making the battery life last longer.

Those laws are poorly written. I don't see riding with music on to be any worse than driving with the radio on and the windows rolled up.

NMc
    Profesional technition, auto, small engine and heavy diesel with five years paid experience and many more as a hobbyist.

My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki C50T
    In my full face helmet, I did what fear_cartaidh did. I bought a set of headphones with a hard band and took it apart, ran the wires in the helmet and speakers to the ear hollow. Works great. The wire just comes out the back of the helmet and no farther. In my jacket a wire extender runs from the back of the neck (where it meets the headphone wire) down the inside of the jacket to my itouch in its pouch, which stays anywhere on the tank I put it by magnet (the magnet doesn't touch the tank it is in the pouch. This way I have access to changing the song, volume or just turning it off. When I take my helmet off all I do is disconnect the wire at the back of my neck.
    In my half helmet I tried in canal ear buds but they worked so well I couldn't hear my bike let alone traffic even with the volume turned way down. The regular ear buds I tried won't stay in when on the highway or when traveling at speed and after awhile I found they bothered my ears.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2008 suzuki boulevard m50
    i have a full face helmet with headphones mounted with velcro in the ear holes and an ipod shuffle mounted to the chin, it keeps everything in the helmet no wires hanging around, works great.
    2008 suzuki boulevard m50, saddleman explorer special seat, viking studded saddlebags,cobra small sissybar, suzuki rear rack, kurykyn iso grips with throttle boss and helmet lock end caps, demon cycle grim reaper mirrors, roadburner double eagles, clear turn lenses with chrome coated amber bulbs, stock size pirelli route 66 tires.

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by fear_cartaidh View Post
    Those laws are poorly written. I don't see riding with music on to be any worse than driving with the radio on and the windows rolled up.
    earbuds block out much more outside noise than on/over ear headphones. the laws are not against riding with music, they are against things that cut hearing in both ears to below legally-impared levels. if the speaker does not rest on or in the ear the law here does not apply, so in helmet systems (even homebrewed) are fine. and the Cali law even goes so far as to include bicycles on public roadways in the headphone ban.

i rank earbuds up there with texting while driving. its one of the few nanny state laws i agree with.

My Bike(s)
    '11 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    While riding with earbuds is distracting to compare it with texting while driving is ridiculous. Might as well ban electric vehicles because they don't make enough noise.

Ads