Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50
    A big plus one to the advice already given. I know that once you see what may possibly be "the one" it is hard to walk away from, but I would walk from these. My buddy/co-worker just picked up an '01 Savage 650 for $1k. Of course, he is an engineer and as such, he is less prone to making rash decisions. He waited for this deal, knowing what he needed out of a first bike. He spend a lot of time in the parking lots riding in circles and also took an endorsed msf course prior to purchase. He is spending his first year on two wheels correctly and hopefully it will pay off in the long run.

So, have you taken an msf course yet?

ps - I would personally find it hard to lowball the seller of a bike I dropped on the test ride...Just my $.02!
    2k8 SE, 2k5 Red Parts, Mustang Vintage Wide Seat, Suzuki OEM Passenger Floorboards, 28" Drag Bars, Ken's 1" Spacers, 2nd Gen Chin Spoiler, Undertail Eliminator Kit, Relocated Turn Signals and Tag, Morton's Violators, K&N Drop In, PC-V retrofit, De-Paired, Custom Headlight, Blacking out the Chrome, Found better brakes - just have to get them on!!!

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    '86 Kawasaki 454 LTD
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
    A big plus one to the advice already given. I know that once you see what may possibly be "the one" it is hard to walk away from, but I would walk from these. My buddy/co-worker just picked up an '01 Savage 650 for $1k. Of course, he is an engineer and as such, he is less prone to making rash decisions. He waited for this deal, knowing what he needed out of a first bike. He spend a lot of time in the parking lots riding in circles and also took an endorsed msf course prior to purchase. He is spending his first year on two wheels correctly and hopefully it will pay off in the long run.

So, have you taken an msf course yet?

ps - I would personally find it hard to lowball the seller of a bike I dropped on the test ride...Just my $.02!
    Pheonix,

Yes, I've taken the MSF course and glad I did. Thank you for your input; and your $.02

I've text riden, in the last two days 2-Kaw 454 LTDs (one an '85 the other an '86) and a
    '81 440 LTD. I've chose the '86 because it is in good shape, clean and well taken care of. It also has 11,7XX miles. I fell very good about my choice. Now to find someone to either ride it home for me; want to avoid hwy traffic or haul it home.

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50
    Congrats on the purchase! The next thing to do is post pics so we can ooohh and aaahh!

(search, search, search...) Ok that's a nice looking style of bike! Get it safe and then ride, ride, ride. Don't put any money in mods until you've got a season or two under your belt - that way you won't lose $$ if you go to sell for a bigger/different bike.

Honestly, it looks like a decent bike with lots of get-up-and-go!
    Last edited by Pheonix; 08-05-2012 at 08:31 PM.
    2k8 SE, 2k5 Red Parts, Mustang Vintage Wide Seat, Suzuki OEM Passenger Floorboards, 28" Drag Bars, Ken's 1" Spacers, 2nd Gen Chin Spoiler, Undertail Eliminator Kit, Relocated Turn Signals and Tag, Morton's Violators, K&N Drop In, PC-V retrofit, De-Paired, Custom Headlight, Blacking out the Chrome, Found better brakes - just have to get them on!!!

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Savage
    Glad I found this forum. I was comparing Savages vs. Shadows also. I'm trying to buy my first bike as soon as possible, hoping that a '98 Suzuki Savage I'm looking at tomorrow checks out. Believe it has about 12K miles on it, and some small scratches and dings on the tank that I'm going to have a friend assess for me.

Anyway, I was hoping Dr. Bob or any of you other experienced folks might be able to share some words of advice? In particular, I'm hoping to use this bike for at least 2 years as a commuter bike...I'm 100 lbs and 5'2" so I was thinking that I may not even need a bigger bike in the future...or am I wrong?

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki M50
    Quote Originally Posted by em.lisa View Post
    Glad I found this forum. I was comparing Savages vs. Shadows also. I'm trying to buy my first bike as soon as possible, hoping that a '98 Suzuki Savage I'm looking at tomorrow checks out. Believe it has about 12K miles on it, and some small scratches and dings on the tank that I'm going to have a friend assess for me.

Anyway, I was hoping Dr. Bob or any of you other experienced folks might be able to share some words of advice? In particular, I'm hoping to use this bike for at least 2 years as a commuter bike...I'm 100 lbs and 5'2" so I was thinking that I may not even need a bigger bike in the future...or am I wrong?
    How far are you going to commute? If the bike checks out ok you're good to go! Excellent commuter bikes!

Anyway, make sure the engine is cold when you go to check it out. You can take a spray bottle of water and squirt the pipe or cautiously brush the back of your fingers along the cylinder/fins. If it's already warmed up for you it's time to walk away. Start it up. Spend a lot of time just sitting on it...don't let the seller rush you if at all possible.

The Savage is going to have a more responsive (rougher) ride than a bigger bike, but it has more than enough acceleration and cruising power for you.

Post some pics if it works out! My friend rode an orange one all last season and loved it!

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    My favorite bike to recommend to diminuative or new riders is the Honda VLX600, but thr Savage is my second choice. Good, solid, dependable design, predictable handling, light and tame to drive. Been in production for almost 3 decades, so easy to find a used one and parts\accessories are easy to find also. Not much can go wrong with them. A small oil leak around the cylinder is common, most people ignore it until it gets real bad, then fixing it is a fairly simple thing. Heck, if you buy it, let me know: I have a really nice set of factory leather rigid saddlebags from Suzuki that go to that bike that I'll let go real cheap.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Savage
    Thank you for the informative responses! I did it - I bought the '98 Savage, pretty excited about it and nice to share that excitement with some folks who can appreciate it (my family and friends are a little puzzled by my interest). The seller was very informative and my mechanic friend approved of the bike's condition.

Phoenix: My commute is about 18 miles (about 25 minutes) each way, mostly highway but I'll also be cruising around town here and there.
    DrBob: I know that there was some sort of leak a few years ago, and someone cleaned out the carbs - apparently it's been fine since then. Still learning the vocab to describe this lol. The bike actually came with suzuki saddlebags that look just right to me, but thank you for the offer!! Now I'm just getting all of my riding gear together, its been challenging finding the right size for jackets and chaps due to my build.

Thanks again for the info, this forum is awesome. Another quick question - my driveway is extremely steep (although this part of the driveway is short, just up a little hill) and I'm not used to riding yet, plus it's a busy street with parked cars lining the opposite side. What's the technique for getting up a short/steep hill like this - I'm more nervous about my driveway than actually riding, haha. Tried to add a photo but it's asking me for a URL...?

Third gear and cruising
    My Bike(s)
    99 Suzuki Marauder

Re: '87 Suzuki Savage LS650 vs. '86 Honda Shadow VT 500

Thank you for the informative responses! I did it - I bought the '98 Savage, pretty excited about it and nice to share that excitement with some folks who can appreciate it (my family and friends are a little puzzled by my interest). The seller was very informative and my mechanic friend approved of the bike's condition.

Phoenix: My commute is about 18 miles (about 25 minutes) each way, mostly highway but I'll also be cruising around town here and there.
    DrBob: I know that there was some sort of leak a few years ago, and someone cleaned out the carbs - apparently it's been fine since then. Still learning the vocab to describe this lol. The bike actually came with suzuki saddlebags that look just right to me, but thank you for the offer!! Now I'm just getting all of my riding gear together, its been challenging finding the right size for jackets and chaps due to my build.

Thanks again for the info, this forum is awesome. Another quick question - my driveway is extremely steep (although this part of the driveway is short, just up a little hill) and I'm not used to riding yet, plus it's a busy street with parked cars lining the opposite side. What's the technique for getting up a short/steep hill like this - I'm more nervous about my driveway than actually riding, haha. Tried to add a photo but it's asking me for a URL...?
    Easiest way to post photos is to load them to a site like Flickr and cut and paste the address url of the specific photo you want to post...

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    What's the technique for getting up a short/steep hill like this - I'm more nervous about my driveway than actually riding, haha.
    Congratulations on your new ride.
    Have you signed up for a beginners course ? If not, you REALLY should.

You should never, NEVER stop across a steep hill like that......because your natural response will be to let the bike lean downhill and it's almost guaranteed to go down like that.
    So......be absolutely sure the drive is clear (go past and come back if necessary)......then attack it straight on at a good speed; gotta trust your brakes.
    That doesn't mean ROARING up the hill but constant throttle and at least 10-15 mph until you get past the steep part.
    If you baby it and go too slow, you can get in a real mess.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    my thought is the sound of a lawnmower starting up.... does that savage have the single cylinder motor?

Ads