Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Savage problems

Handlebar Consultant
    Several reasons I referenced the Savage forum in my answer. If the fellow is interested in a Savage, by looking at the specifically Savage website he would probably get not only the answer to his oil leak question but a ton of other good information. Perhaps he wasn't aware that the Savage forum was available. In addition, I remember this question addressed specifically in the forum. Maybe I should have given him that particular link, but I didn't. So, if I offended anyone, sorry.
    Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, d!ckheads--they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Dogs Best Friend(admin)

My Bike(s)
    SOLD
    Quote Originally Posted by tlwisner
    I have not heard anything bad about this bike. It's been around a long time and seems to be fairly bulletproof.
    Isn't that dismissive? Considering that the Savage IS prone to oil leaks? Just an observation.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1987 Suzuki LS650 Savage, 1971 Honda CB100

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by trappercase
    Isn't that dismissive? Considering that the Savage IS prone to oil leaks? Just an observation.
    The right front head plug leak is a well documented problem with the older Savages. Around 2003, Suzuki came up with a redesigned plug that seems to rectify the problem. The roughly 11/16" diameter plug covers an access hole through the cooling tunnel to the right front head stud nut.

Problem is after the bike has gained some age, the older style rubber covered metal plug that resembles a thimble looses its rubber's resilience, shrinks and cracks the RTV seal. Since the head top is bathed in oil for the overhead cam, oil makes its way past the plug into the cooling tunnel, which by the force of airflow during riding shows up as an oil spray on the battery cover, muffler shield and starter area. The leak is more like a seep; oil loss isn't great but it is annoying.

If you do your own wrenching, the fix is relatively simple, redesigned plug costs $7.50, it requires removing the head cover, removing the existing, installing the new with proper RTV sealant on it and the head cover (I used Permatex gray, think it was Ultra Gray), reinstalling the head cover and adjusting valve rocker clearances. While at it, it wouldn't also hurt to retorque the head studs.

I can't say specifically what a shop would charge, but it probably would be around 2 may be 3 hours labor. If shop rate is $65 per hour, you can figure the costs.

- Laters, George

Handlebar Consultant
    Hey Mr. High Plains Thumper, my wife and I plan on spending the night in your fair city next summer. It's our first stop on a 10 day ride up through northern NM, Colorado, Utah and Arizona. We are ending up in Grants, NM to hang out at the Fire & Ice Rally for a day or so. I grew up 100 miles south of you and we currently live in Midland. My wife rides an Intruder and I ride a softail.

By the way, if you know of anyone up in your area looking for a Savage, we have an 03 with 2000 miles for sale.
    Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, d!ckheads--they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.

My Bike(s)
    Savage 650
    Hey, everybody,
    I wasn't offended by oldgeezer's suggestion to try another source. I was looking for any info I could get. Thanks for the input. I look at both forums, since I recently traded in my 1982 Suzuki GS550 for a 2002 Savage.

Throttle Jockey
    My Bike(s)
    '05 Boulevard C50
    Maybe you should have shared that knowledge with the original poster instead of trying to get into some fracas with me over what is considered polite. For the record, I am always polite you poopy-head!

Freakin' crappy weather.....
    Tim Wisner AMA, SCRC

Happiness is something we create

Dogs Best Friend(admin)

My Bike(s)
    SOLD
    Reason I didn't answer was because I figured the guy had gone to the link and found out more than I knew. If the weather's getting you down, here's a pick me up for ya. Scratch and sniff website. http://www.slabearkazad.com/sniff/

Savage Riders Rock
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Savage LS 650
    Reason I didn't answer was because I figured the guy had gone to the link and found out more than I knew. If the weather's getting you down, here's a pick me up for ya. Scratch and sniff website. http://www.slabearkazad.com/sniff/
    Thanks for the laugh. I can't believe I actually tried it and I can't believe I actually laughed at the results!!

Flipper ( Don't Ask )
    My Bike(s)
    Crunchy 02 GSX-R 750

My Bike(s)
    1986 Suzuki Savage ls650
    Just in case anyone was still interested in this problem, it's not really a problem.

The bike is bulletproof, but it does leak a very small amount of oil from the head, right below the exhaust pipe. It's notorious for doing this, and there really isn't anything you can do about it. It only leaks maybe a teaspoon a week, at max, so it really isn't worth worrying about. It just means you have to wash the bike more frequently and I recommend keeping a shop rag handy, particularly if you plan on showing it off.
    Last edited by Demon_Speeding; 08-17-2008 at 08:53 PM.

Third gear and cruising
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Yamaha V-Star 950T
    Quote Originally Posted by High Plains Thumper View Post
    If you do your own wrenching, the fix is relatively simple, redesigned plug costs $7.50, it requires removing the head cover, removing the existing, installing the new with proper RTV sealant on it and the head cover (I used Permatex gray, think it was Ultra Gray), reinstalling the head cover and adjusting valve rocker clearances. While at it, it wouldn't also hurt to retorque the head studs.

I can't say specifically what a shop would charge, but it probably would be around 2 may be 3 hours labor. If shop rate is $65 per hour, you can figure the costs.

My wife had a '99 Savage that was seeping oil as described. We had the local dealer do all the above, as well as replace the rings (it had 15k+ miles on it, and he had it apart anyway, so...). Total bill was $150 or so.
    Land of the free
    Because of the brave
    Until Every One Comes Home

Ads