Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Savage problems

My Bike(s)
    Savage 650

Question Savage problems

I just got a 2002 Savage 650; mint. The bike fits me physically (5'7'', 150)better than any I've owned, including my old Honda CB350. I've heard that the Savage is one of the most maintenance-free bikes on the road today, but I've also heard rumblings about an oil leak problem. Anyone have any particulars on problems associated with this bike?

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Flipper ( Don't Ask )
    My Bike(s)
    Crunchy 02 GSX-R 750
    AHhhhhhhhhhhh............how do you post a double thread for crying out loud!!!!?!?!???!?

Handlebar Consultant
    I think this has been discussed on another forum. Try www.suzukisavage.com

Good Luck
    Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, d!ckheads--they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.

My Bike(s)
    Savage 650
    Computer malfunction. Everything shut down before the first was accepted, so it was re-sent when I re-booted. Try some decaf.

Throttle Jockey
    My Bike(s)
    '05 Boulevard C50
    I have not heard anything bad about this bike. It's been around a long time and seems to be fairly bulletproof.
    Tim Wisner AMA, SCRC

Happiness is something we create

Throttle Jockey
    My Bike(s)
    '05 Boulevard C50
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer
    I think this has been discussed on another forum. Try www.suzukisavage.com

Good Luck
    If everybody's answer is "go somewhere else and talk about Suzuki motorcycles" then why the hell is this board here?
    Tim Wisner AMA, SCRC

Doesn't think you're funny
    My Bike(s)
    05 Boulevard M50 Black
    im sure oldgeezer was just posting the link to show that there was information available immediately rather than waiting for more replies here.

he didnt say something like "use the search feature" or "use google" like some rude people do.

Savage Riders Rock
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Savage LS 650
    Quote Originally Posted by tlwisner
    If everybody's answer is "go somewhere else and talk about Suzuki motorcycles" then why the hell is this board here?
    IMHO different boards are good for different things and I frequent several on a regular basis. This board is terrific for general information about riding (gear, safety, "things I learned today" and so on). I also enjoy the broad spectrum of people, bikes and opinions on this forum.

On the other hand, the Savage specific boards go into a ton of detail related to the Savage that might bore the rest of you stiff. On SuzukiSavage, for instance, there is a technical section that outlines a bunch of stuff useful only for Savage owners: how to change the oil, specs list etc...

Personally I don't see any conflict in visiting multiple forums and sharing links across forums. Besides a lot of what this poster is asking about has already been addressed in the other forum. It doesn't make sense to me to summarize info that has already been published. Just my two cents!

Doesn't think you're funny
    My Bike(s)
    05 Boulevard M50 Black
    well said.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1987 Suzuki LS650 Savage, 1971 Honda CB100
    Quote Originally Posted by tlwisner
    Sometimes the best reply is to point someone to where the information is readily available. I don't know why someone would take offense at that.

Laters, George

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    '04 VS 800 Intruder
    I'm still a newbie and my riding experience is extremely limited. But I've done a lot of reading in the past year and I have seen it mentioned that the Savage is possibly prone to oil leaks.

They seem to be the old VW Beetle of the motorcycle world: simple, air-cooled engines that run forever inexpensively. It's a nice concept. My first car was a 1966 VW Beetle that leaked oil. I had to add a quart every 1,000 miles. But it ran, and it ran, and it ran .....
    University of Connecticut Husky
    Southern Methodist University Mustang

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ... Edmund Burke

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    '04 VS 800 Intruder
    High Plains Thumper: That's a pic of a 1971 Honda CB100? That was the first bike I ever rode (as a passenger on my uncle's bike). He had one exactly like that, except it was blue/green (teal?).

I never thought I'd see one again.
    Last edited by Texas Jay; 01-03-2005 at 08:34 PM.
    University of Connecticut Husky
    Southern Methodist University Mustang

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ... Edmund Burke

Thumbs up

I have no personal experience, but as I was searching for a Savage, the information I got was pre-2000 models had a tendency to leak oil.

I have a 2002 and 2003 with not problems so far.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1987 Suzuki LS650 Savage, 1971 Honda CB100
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasJay
    High Plains Thumper: That's a pic of a 1971 Honda CB100? That was the first bike I ever rode (as a passenger on my uncle's bike). He had one exactly like that, except it was blue/green (teal?).

I never thought I'd see one again.
    Yes it is, TJ. I bought it in 1979 while in college from a salvage dealer for $300 in Honolulu, then I wore out 3 sets of tires on it. Two years ago with the help of my son, we disassembled it and repainted it from ground up. Back in '79 I had the seat redone in brown for $70. It is now waiting for installation of a 150 CC big bore kit I bought on E-Bay last summer. I completely wore out the original motor, it now has a 1970 SL125 motor I overhauled some time back.

I would consider it an ultimate beginner bike because for street traffic, it will keep up with traffic nicely and is light enough that it is real easy and forgiving, but a blast to ride because of its torquey thumper motor. I even beat a VW rabbit who wanted to race me out of hole to 40 mph with it back in 1980.

Laters, George

Throttle Jockey
    My Bike(s)
    '05 Boulevard C50
    Quote Originally Posted by High Plains Thumper
    Sometimes the best reply is to point someone to where the information is readily available. I don't know why someone would take offense at that.

Laters, George
    If you link to an answer to a question, that's fairly nice. If you just say "Go look at "Forum X" where somebody has to go dig through a bunch of stuff on an unfamiliar board - that's a bit dismissive.
    Tim Wisner AMA, SCRC

Ads