Motorcycle Forum banner

White smoke from middle of bike and now no power.

7K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Aussie Steve 
#1 ·
This happened on my 1988 VL800.
Just returned from a trip the day before, about 3 and a half hour open road ride. Then today i got on my bike just in town, rode for about 5 mins after warming it up.
At a intersection white smoke appeared from the middle section of the bike with a strange sweetish smell. Soon after then bike lost electrical power so stand light, neutral light wont show. The bike will still move downhill so the engine is not seized and still has the small level of oil from when i checked.
Any ideas of the problem? Ran fine all day on the previous ride.

Thank you.

#6 ·
Many makers now fit as many electrical components out where they can catch the breeze Suzuki fits the Busa regulator under the belly pan.

Not too long ago Suzuki had problems with some alternators frying because they ran excess current not needed by the battery back through them as heat...saved about a half metre of cable to do it like this. Later they fitted an external alternator to Bandits to avoid this and as mentioned they now fit a few components in the breeze. I suspect many more manufacturers do the same.

If possible any componants that you replace may benefit from doing the same as long as they are protected from wet weather.

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.