Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    In Training
    My Bike(s)
    Boulevard S50 & Kawaski 650R

Need Help - 4000 mile Service

Hi guys & gals,

I need some help I just called the stealer to get my 4000 mile oil change and service. He's telling me it's going to cost $310.00 does that sound right?

Thanks,
    Road Momma

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    C90T
    What happens at the 4000 mark? I just took mine in for the 600 mile service, of course it has almost 1000 on it before I could get it in but..... My cost for the 600 mile service is $145.00. I don't even know what all they do for either service, 600 or 4000. I'll ask about the 4000 mile service when I pick mine up, hopfully this afternoon and see what it cost here. Tennessee.

Miloh.

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    05 Honda Rebel and 05 Suzuki S50
    The price variability on service really sucks. Mine cost $225 for the 600 mile. It's almost worth it to drive it to tenn for the $145 price.

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    2005 C50T

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Scott58
    The price variability on service really sucks. Mine cost $225 for the 600 mile. It's almost worth it to drive it to tenn for the $145 price.
    Man, mine really sucks and blows at the same time... I paid over 300 bucks for the 600 service. They said they needed to do valve adjustment on it. Called them too about oil change service and quoted me for $55 and if they are going to service the "shaft" just like they service chains... it's going to be $150. I thought shafts are suppose to be maintenance free... Maybe I should create a thread about it...
    Cash Only!!!

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    05" Honda ST1300
    I paid for the 600 mile servive;
    Parts= #31.42, Labor= $115.50, Total= $149.92 (US)

4,000 mile service cost;
    Parts= $29.73 (different dealership) Labor= $95.88 and Waste disposal fee= $2.00, Total $127.61 .

The 2 combined services cost $277.53 which is $32.47 less than the one service they quoted you.

Road Momma, my bike has self adjusting valves which greatly reduces the labor costs but $310.00 sounds way to high. I would make some calls to see if you can get a better deal elsewhere.
    Good Luck.
    Happy Trails.

Hangin' On For Dear Life

My Bike(s)
    2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
    Dallas, Texas Directly above the center of the earth.
    Called my Dealer (they have earned my trust) Here is the low down.

4,000mi on the C50 Dealer should be doing this
    1. Adjust Valves
    2. Check Air Filter
    3. Change Oil & Filter
    4. Check the Shaft (no Maint.)
    5. Sync the Throttle Bodies
    6. Check and adjust all cables
    7. Lube all moving parts
    8. Tighten all bolts
    Price here is $250 P & L

M95

4,000mi

1. Oil & Filter change
    2. Sync Throttle bodies
    3. Check & adjust all cables
    4. Lube all moving parts
    5. Check Shaft (no Maint)
    6. Check Air Filter
    7. Tighten all bolts
    Price $166.

Gotta love those Hydraulic valves.
    Real Men Drift on Two Wheels.

Hangin' On For Dear Life

My Bike(s)
    2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
    Dallas, Texas Directly above the center of the earth.
    Since everything in Fla costs more I'd say that is in the ball park.
    Real Men Drift on Two Wheels.

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    2005 C50T

Talking

It's probably cheaper to service it yourself... tightening the bolts should be something you check every week or two anyways. I yet have to see a motorcycle that doesn't vibrate to losen the bolts every now and then. It's probably better to look at it this way:

Synthetic Oil: $27
    Chrome Oil Filter: $15

Telling your stealer, "screw you!!!": Priceless!!!
    Cash Only!!!

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    Boulevard S50 & Kawaski 650R
    I took the bike to the stealer today who purchased it from.

I wasn't sure if I could take it else where to have the 4000 mile check or if others would be authorized to work on the Suzuki. Thanks, drgibson I am going to take your check list with me tomorrow when I pick the bike up. I have no idea why things in FL are more expensive

I really can't do the oil change my self. I am in hand cuffs when it comes to repairs on my bike plus I want it done right. The stealer I am dealing with is sometimes out there. I called and talked to the service mgr. he kept saying is your bike the intruder. I corrected him 3 times then he said they keep changing the name of that bike & he can't remember it. I hate being a girl sometimes (lol).

Thanks for your help.

Road Momma

In Training

Smile Vavle adjustment.

I attempted to do the vavle adjustment on my S50. I have adjusted the valves on every motorcycle I have ever owned. This one I had to give up on. I had the seat and tank off, that wasn't too difficult, but removing the rear carb and taking all those cables and wires off and then even thinking about trying to sync the carbs! Even with all that stuff off it is still very difficult to reach the rear valve adjustment cover. While this thing is still under warranty it would be foolish for me to mess something up on it.
    My dealer said they charge $150 to check the valves and another $100 to adjust them. a full service was well over $300. That is in Oregon, or the left coast as we say, so Florida prices are no higher than here.
    It won't be long until we get our fall monsoons and I will setup an appointment to get the bike in for service.

Don't put yourself down because your a woman! There are many women that can wrench as good as any guy! It takes time to work on your own vehicle and the proper tools and a decent place to do it. It helps to have a working knowledge of mechanics and at least a little natural ability. Many, many people just don't want to do it because they don't like doing it. They would rather spend the money than even think about wrenching on their own vehicle and there is nothing wrong with that.
    My only problem is worrying about if they will to it right, and in most cases they will so I have to take a chance and start saving up the money to take it in. This bike is my baby and it is like taking a child in for a major operation!

Throttle Jockey
    My Bike(s)
    '05 Boulevard C50
    Quote Originally Posted by drgibson
    Called my Dealer (they have earned my trust) Here is the low down.

4,000mi on the C50 Dealer should be doing this
    1. Adjust Valves

Per the C50 manuals, the valves are supposed to be adjusted at the 600 mile service, and then again at the 7500 mile service - but it's not required at the 4000 mile service.

I have no idea about the S50 schedule, but if valve stuff is not needed, $310 is way too high. What does your manual say the S50's 4000 mile service consists of?
    Last edited by tlwisner; 09-01-2005 at 10:26 AM.
    Tim Wisner AMA, SCRC

Happiness is something we create

In Training

Question 4000 miles

The little manual that comes with the S50 says nothing about adjusting the valves at 600 miles. It does say to check and or adjust the valves at 4000 miles. I have a Clymers after market manual that says the same thing. I also called the factory but they weren't sure either, they said "what does the manual say".
    What I want to know is how do they check the valves without being far enough into the bike to easily adjust the valves? What I mean is if you are able to check the valves it should not take another $100 worth of work to adjust them. All that is left is the easy part when you are that far, the proceedor to do the adjustment is not that difficult if you have already checked them!
    Kind of like a store charging you $5 extra to put your purchase in a bag.

Sit speling cheker
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Yamaha warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Momma
    Hi guys & gals,

I need some help I just called the stealer to get my 4000 mile oil change and service. He's telling me it's going to cost $310.00 does that sound right?

Thanks,
    Road Momma
    my 600 mile was quoted about 315 for the rauder.
    yippee

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    C90T
    I just got mine back from the dealer and it was in fact $145.00 as they predicted. I asked about the 4000 mile service and he told me the dealer service info said 1/10 of an hour more for the 4000 than the 600 so the price would be right at the same. This is the 4th brand new bike I have bought from this dealer so I have to say they have earned my trust. 650Vstar classic, 1100 Vstar classic, Kawsaki 300 4wheeler, C90T. I have loved them all.

Miloh.

In Training

Question Vavle adjustment.

http://www.geocities.com/chrislin2/p...?1125936266968
    This is the page in the manual that states the valves do not need service until
    4000 miles. I will have them checked at around 2500, but I'm not sure it is necessary. The asterisk means it should be done by authorized service people.

What I'm not too sure about is waiting 3500 miles for an engine oil change. This is the first bike I have had that had a real oil filter and maybe that is a factor. It is water cooled so that maybe helps with oil life. I believe I will change the oil at 2000 or 2500 miles thats about 2000 miles between changes. It does not take much work and does not cost that much. I think it is worth it. Considering the transmission is serviced by the engine oil I think 2000 mile changes make sense.

Ads