Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    My Bike(s)
    1994 Suzuki RM250

Need help with 1993 RM250

Hey there. I am new to this website and was hoping someone could give me a hand with my situation. I recently obtained a 1993 RM250 from a neighbor that was destroyed beyond belief! I've had the cylinder bored out and sleeved, fresh gaskets on everything, new piston, rings, etc., new reeds, and then some plastic work done. All in all, it's cost me about 450 bucks to get the thing where it is now. I was so excited to get everything put together and pull some sick wheelies, but I've run into problems. The bike DOES NOT want to start without severe coaxing, and usually has to have a run start. When it does run, it blows a lot of blue smoke and bogs out in the top-end. Anywhere in between is great. It has less power than my old Yamaha 125. I've got 150 psi so i know thats not the problem. I've thorughly cleaned the carb. What else? HELP!!!!

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

My Bike(s)
    1994 Suzuki RM250
    Also, does anyone know the proper float height for my bike? (1993 RM250)

replace the spark plug, make sure your getting spark.

check air filter, and carb, make sure carb has stock settings,

sounds like a carb issue.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    1990 RM125 fmf gold series pipe +more to come but motor is in pieces
    float height according to clymer manual is
    0.63 +-.004 hope that helps
    pilot screw is 1 1/2 turns out from fully seated set it there then play around with the setting i just did that with mine its a 90 125
    and almost got it running at 100% hope that helps you

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    Which one of the 9?
    Sparkysakitas has given you some excellent advice!

Here are some other thoughts....
    Make sure your main jet isthe stock size unless you have a pipe and motor work.
    Check your magneto is clean and working good
    Check your plug is new and the gap is correctMake sure you have a clean airfilter that is only very lightly oiled
    Make sure your powervlaves aree decarboned and degreased.

Let us know how you make out.

My Bike(s)
    1994 Suzuki RM250
    Thanks alot for the advice you guys! I want you to know that i have an upgraded FMF pipe so the carb was adjusted accordingly. Also, it has a brand new spark plug, which is getting spark, and new air filter. I'll mess around with the float height and see what happens. Also, foor the float height, where do you measure from? Both my buddy and I had problems trying to figure out where to measure from.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    lets see let me get my book here
    with the bottom of the carb off (the float bowl)
    measure from the the float bowl mating (the bottom of the carb with no gasket) surface to the top of the float

My Bike(s)
    1994 Suzuki RM250
    Well, i'm back and still having problems. I got the float set all right and gas comes and goes as it should, but the darn thing still doesn't want to turn over for the life of me. It most probably has to do with the carb i'm assuming, because I still have great compression, good spark, and all of my seals are new. Any other ideas?

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    is it fouling the plug?

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    Which one of the 9?
    You need to check for air leaks around the intake tract. The Reed cage, the base gasket. Once running spray some carb cleaner around these areas and see if the idle picks up. If it does you have found a leak. If not then you need to strip the carb again. Make sure to remove the Needle and the Needle jet and clean the small holes in the Needle jet( this is the long piece that the Needle vlave slides into)

My Bike(s)
    1994 Suzuki RM250
    Thanks again. I'll go ahead and give that a try.

My Bike(s)
    1994 Suzuki RM250
    Well guys, i got everything together, checked for air leaks, new plug, the whole shabam and gave her a pull start behind my neighbor's Kubota. It turned over nicely, but then started SPEWING antifreeze everywhere out the exhaust! Did i blow a gasket or trash my piston? HELP!!!

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    Which one of the 9?
    If coolant has entered the cylinder you most likely have a bad head gasket. Now a simnple wuestion.....When you had the head and cylinder off did you remove all the bits of old gasket material on the mateing surfaces? Looks like your going to have to pull the head off and clean out all the antifreeze in the cylinder as you don't want that getting into the lower crank bearing! When you replace the gasket this time use a very very thin layer of grease on both sides of the head gasket and torque it all down to the specs in the cris cross pattern it shows in the manual.

Keep a positive attitude and you'll get it going good. It takes a few lessons learned sometimes...Believe me I learn them often enough myself.

Just another thought...are you using genuine gaskets from Suzuki or are you using pattern gaskets from an aftermarket company? If it is the aftermarket then I suggest you get Original Suzuki head Gasket.
    Last edited by Dave2122; 10-03-2005 at 06:23 PM.

My Bike(s)
    1993 rm250
    i have a 1993 rm250 an i was wondering if a 1994 rm250 exspansion chamb would fit a 1993 i relly need and answer thanx

My Bike(s)
    1993 rm250
    i am restoring this bike when i got it.it was in pieces i spent alot money on this bike so far finally got it runing still need parts like clutch cable,air box,front brakes,plastic,pipe,kill switch,

Ads