Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Questions about an RM 250

hey everyone, I am new to this site and would like all the help I can get. I know very little about dirt bikes and just bought a 97 RM 250 but I think I bought a junker. When I first rode it it oerformed great with no problems at all. When I got it home I rode it once and had a fefw throttle issues. When I tried to start it the next day I couldn't and when I looked in the transmission fluid it was milky white. I drained it and am pretty sure the liquid that mixed with the oil was coolant. It spits oil out the exhaust and I can not get it started for the life of me. Anyone know any tricks or tips that may help or what I will have to do about the transmission. I don't want to completly rebuild it but I think i may be forced to. Or I may look into a completly different motor and transmission assembly. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
    Graham

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    04 GSX-R600, 95 RM125, 78 RM125
    You need to replace the water pump seal and probably the shaft... that is how the coolant is getting into your case oil.

As far as it not running right, I'd start by checking your fuel/oil mixture (oil out the exhaust usually means your too rich), spark plug, and clean the carb.
    2004 GSX-R600
    1995 RM125
    1978 RM125

I was only running a 40:1 ratio. The carb probably does need a cleaning bad though. As for the water pump seal, how much of the engine will I have to tear apart to get at this?

Where Am I ?
    I'm not 100% sure, as I have a 97 125... but the water pump is probably just under a cover on the clutch side and you won't have to split the cases. As for dripping oil out the silencer... make sure you also repack it before you start jetting.

I figured out where the coolant is coming through and it is a bearing that surrounds the shaft. does anyone know if I will have to split the cases to get the bearing out? I tried to pull it out but I could not.

Ads