Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fork Seals?

My Bike(s)
    2005 RMZ250

Fork Seals?

Hey everyone...new here...What exactly do I need to replace both forks that are leaking!?

Here's some pics...Just picked her up on Saturday!

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    welcome aboard, from Wisconsin no less.

have you ever done anything like this before?

assuming, for a moment you have some skill, a service manual will be in order and a very precise way to measure fork oil will also be required.

as well as nerves of steel when you compress the springs to thread to aluminum pieces together without cross threading them.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

My Bike(s)
    2005 RMZ250
    Yeah a guy I ride with is skilled in this stuff. I just don't know what to get for the fork leaking out the bottom. Is there a kit for it?

My Bike(s)
    not knowing exactly where you live, who you normally deal with and all that -

I will assume the "guy who works on this stuff" probably is on good terms with a parts shop / mechanic. Nearly any part is available aftermarket, provided the bike is at least 2 years old.

Failing that, you go to the dealer and ask for a "fork seal kit" which should consist of 2 fork seals.

If the kit seems really cheap (20 - 30 bucks) ask if there are any other parts/kits that might be recommended to enhance the life of the kit.

There probably won't be any such kit available, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

If your pal is familiar with these things, he will have fork oil, if not buy some (this seems like a waste as each fork will probably only require 4 - 5 ounces, if that much) and this oil is usually for sale in either quart or gallon jugs.

Being as this is a dirt bike, get familiar with the procedure; you will be doing it several more times over the life of the bike.

As well as cleaning the chain on a very frequent basis to extend the life of the chain beyond a couple hundred miles.

good luck
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

My Bike(s)
    2005 RMZ250
    Thanks for the info man. I'm good with the engine stuff, I bored out my 01 rm 125 to a 144 and had done every performance mod possible but I never touched the front forks lol. Thanks again for the info, much help!

My Bike(s)
    I seriously investigated doing the same thing on my old scooter, but decided the details (the precise amount of oil) combined with the aluminum to aluminum crossthreading was to likely, took the forks off the bike and had a shop do them.

Heck, I think I just found your answer!

Before you even do this however, there should be drains at the bottom. Provided you are patient, you can drain the forks and find out how much oil is left in each fork.

Although, in all likelihood, the seals (or at least one) is starting to go bad.

I'm also curious how far bad these seals could leak before the handling was adversely affected.

I'd be willing to bet it will ride okay until you don't see any oil left, then you know it's bled dry.

My Bike(s)
    2005 RMZ250
    Good idea, I want to ride sunday but I don't feel comfortable jumping without my front forks working properly. If they go out then I'm in the dirt! They seem like they are leaking at a good rate. Left more then the right. Looks like I'll take them off and take it to Suzuki so we don't end up messing this up!

My Bike(s)
    oh no, not a dealer!

IF the bike is less than about 5 years old, after market parts may not be available.

However, once it is around 4 - 5 years old, there is always somebody who works on bikes either full time or on the side that will do the deal for about 2/3 the cost of the dealer.

Plus the dealer will always try to pump you for other stuff that almost never breaks.

My Bike(s)
    2005 RMZ250
    I already tried! There is no one else that will do the work. 1. They don't have the tools. 2. they charge the same amount as the dealer(went on craigslist).

My Bike(s)
    I forgot, you are in the chicago area; there is no "cheap repair" places.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    1972 Honda CL450 Scrambler, 2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    There is a link to the service manual at this site: Anyone Have Link For '05 RMZ250 Service Manual? - ThumperTalk

According to that forum, the RMZ250 is the same as Kawasaki's KX250F. I hadn't heard of that before, but it doesn't sound out of the ordinary. Kawasaki and Suzuki have had a relationship in recent years where they sell each others models under their own name. Suzuki's DRZ400 sold as Kawasaki's KLX400; Kawasaki's Mean Streak sold as Suzuki's M95; the only other example I knew of previously is the DRZ110 and KLX110.

Anyway, if you are mechanically savy, the service manual should get you through fork seal replacement. Long travel suspension in a USD fork configuration seems to be a recipe for blown fork seals. Like omegajim said, get used to replacing fork seals.

On my first bike, a KE100, my dad and I replaced the fork seals. My dad is no stranger to DIY maintenance, but he had never owned a motorcycle before.
    The world is not my home. I'm just a passin' thru.

Ads