Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    1996 R1100GS/Ural Sidecar

A great start with a great ride...

Uncle B... great shots... which one is you???
    Single shots... wish I had that option of stiching 3 shots!!!...
    I could not help feel a bit of emptiness last night after saying my goodbyes to David and Mike!
    The campground again was empty, every one had come and gone, no one left on the hill... these pasts days were filled with engines starting, late night talks, much riding... much eating, and now again... left... just Spirit and I... back to our scheduled programming I thought!!!
    What schedule?
    The year started with a great ride yesterday... South County Road to North County Road, then north toward Alpine, east toward Terlingua Ranch, Marathon road toward 385... great weather, great company and roads... much fun as you can read about it on the Blog...
    John, Mike, Becca, Felipe, Wayne, Byron, David, Mike, Anna, Big Don and Lobby from on the road... even you, the odd Texas Pete... and I have the feeling that I am forgetting some names here... thanks for your presence and making these Holidays some memorable ones... Maybe again next year?
    You be well...
    Ara & Spirit
    A Journey and a Life in progress...
    It is all in the BLOG...

The Oasis of My Soul

Our new Photo Gallery...

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Right Clicker
    My Bike(s)
    06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
    Gordon Texas Latitude: 32.54833 Longitude: -98.36889

Big Bend

Second from left on the brown horse.

Picture WILL NOT post.
    Last edited by Uncle B; 01-02-2007 at 09:00 PM. Reason: picture did not post
    I KNOW THE VOICES ARE NOT REAL
    But sometimes they have good ideals!
    Ride Safe, Ride Long, & Have Fun
    http://www.gordontexas.net/ http://www.gordonvfd.com/
    Benjamin Franklin> They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security.
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...s/1751147.html

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)

About packing and how we live...

Love the pictures... Old West! The good times... right?

My last sunset on the hill... an untouched photo as the camera took it!... just in case you were wondering... A waive, a smile, a going away present before our departure? You be the judge of it as I have been taking sunrise and sunset pictures throughout my stay... and none compare to this none.
    Day to pack... re-arrange things in a better fashion, which worked out much better. It is the first time since I have left, but I am sure it will not be the last time.
    Some more good byes and while trying to put some order in this minuscule camper of ours... I just thought about showing you how and where we live! It is kind of a mess... two extra books and it is overcrowded!...
    You can see it all in the Blog... tomorrow we will be in Fort Davis, exploring also Marfa and Balmorhea, Mc Donald Observatory...
    You be well...

Good Bye Big Bend... you have been kind to us...

Ara & Spirit
    It is all in the BLOG...

The Oasis of My Soul

Our new Photo Gallery...

Right Clicker
    My Bike(s)
    06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
    where bouts in the park did you stay?
    Benjamin Franklin> They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)

a little taste of Fort Davis, Texas...

We rolled in Fort Davis in the afternoon... the weather was not cooperating... very thoughtful that I packed yesterday in dry conditions... and so here we are a few miles north.
    And I was thinking that maybe I should have skipped Big Bend, leave it for last, and then again, there is no planned end to this Journey. You guessed it, I just understood what my friends, which had left days earlier, wrote... I already miss it!
    There will be other regions, comparable on many levels of its beauty and serenity, but I just realized that Big Bend had been to me like a calm Ocean with its full sun, day after day...
    I think today the weather has a lot to do also about how I feel... dark grey all day... there is excitement however in being here... It is a real little town... with many Restaurants... shops... friends to be made and awesome roads to ride... as I understand, it is going to be beautiful these coming days...
    Spirit and I took a walk... check it out in the Blog...

Be well...

Ara & Spirit

*** we stayed at the Big Bend Motor Inn... camping, rooms, WI FI... you name it... 3 miles only from the Park's entrance... Oh! $2 for 6 mn's of shower...
    It is all in the BLOG...

The Oasis of My Soul

Our new Photo Gallery...

Right Clicker
    My Bike(s)
    06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
    Thought you might have stayed in the park at some of their campgrounds.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    Well, the Basin was very cold... and honestly to post as I do my Blog, having WI FI all the way to the camper sure was nice... as it is now in Fort Davis...
    But all this will have to change as I get into warmer weathers... mostly primitive camping is what I reallly like... Will just have to find WI FI maybe 2 to 3 times a week... I have Thunderbird E Mail program so I can download and answer those in the camp... This will probably happen in Anza Borrego, the second week after I arrive there.
    If you need more info just let me know...
    Be well...

Ara & Spirit
    It is all in the BLOG...

The Oasis of My Soul

Our new Photo Gallery...

Right Clicker
    My Bike(s)
    06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
    Be sure to visit McDonald Observatory
    McDonald Observatory is located in the Davis Mountains, 450 miles west of Austin, Texas. The Observatory is equipped with a wide range of state-of-the-art ...
    McDonald Observatory

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)

Fort Davis, Day 2... Texas.

I fell asleep when I returned from today’s ride, which beat me up again struggling against the winds riding up to Fort Davis Mountain and the Mc Donald Observatory... Awesome roads... it had been a while since riding nice sweepers and twisties, without a speed limit per say, remembering someone not too long ago telling me that I would be done here in a couple days!... So much to see, so much to ride... The start is in today’s Blog.

Be well...

Ara & Spirit
    It is all in the BLOG...

The Oasis of My Soul

Our new Photo Gallery...

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)

Fort Davis, Texas... Day 3

Quite a contrast from yesterday, was a cool night at the most which even allowed us for a nice walk... Spirit had some problems during the night... and this morning I woke up to snow flurries!
    Am I complaining?... not the least... will take it any way it comes... specially after yesterday’s great ride as written in the Blog...

Be well...

Ara & Spirit
    It is all in the BLOG...

The Oasis of My Soul

Our new Photo Gallery...

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)

Meeting the Meathead again...

It was an anticipated day to see Meathead, (Mark), can you understand his handle through some of the pictures?... swing by here, Fort Davis, TX, and join me for dinner...
    I have posted the pictures and the short stay on my Blog...

Enjoy and be well...

Ara & Spirit
    It is all in the BLOG...

The Oasis of My Soul

Our new Photo Gallery...

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Yours continues to be one of the only motorcycling blogs worth reading. Thank you.
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)

Thank you...

That is very kind of you... it makes me think about what I am doing!
    I have throughout my life read many ride reports... many worthwhile from abroad... they are at least 200 riders at any given time circling the Globe and the stories are very exciting... at 59 I cannot go there anymore or even have the desire to watch over my shoulder again and unfortunately I never wrote about my past travels or for that matter 28 years living on sailboats... also having Spirit with me would really complicate border crossngs... Mexico and Canada are going to be tough enough regardless what anyone says... The fact also is how many readers are ever going to have the chance to circle the Globe?
    I feel good writing about what is right here under our nose in our beautiful country...
    I was amazed with the messages that I received as to how many riders are going to Big Bend because of my Blog! That is the purpose...
    And yet so much is coming up... Southern California alone has so much to offer... starting the 14th of this month.
    As I also browse through many threads on different Forums... I can see which threads are the most popular... I think I have written this before...
    I maintain a "G" rated Blog... I would be much more popular... it is a fact proven with numbers... I am not being judgemental here... as they say... whatever turns you on... if I included sexual contents or images... profanities... alcohool consumption related stories... and I also stay off religious and political contents... There is no effort in me to follow this path... this about traveling... a life on the road... trying to every day grow into a better human being... and maybe showing a path to some that would like to follow my footstep but have not found the way... yet! It is very doable by many... and sometime I will write about that too!!! I am not trying to be popular... there just is so much that we have ridden by without stopping and looking... now is that time for me to do it leisurly!
    In the meantime... it is cold... but the sun is out... and I will take this day with also a smile as I do them all...
    Thanks for taking the time to write...

Be well...

Ara &... Spirit too!!!
    It is all in the BLOG...

The Oasis of My Soul

Our new Photo Gallery...

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)

Backing up a bit in time...

Hard to believe that one week and more has already gone by in this New Year... time is starting to speed up as I look at maps, there is no plans or directions, the weather will be my guide mostly as I have to move on to warmer climates, mainly for Spirit. With even two coats on, the poor guy is cold, he does not want to go out and I am not feeling comfortable with his lethargic days... we both need our exercise... him as much as me!

We did not ride yesterday... spend it mostly at Jerry’s and Nalda’s Bookstore... it amazes me for a town this small how many interesting people there are... so many conversations!

There are always pictures from the past that do not make it on the Blog... with Cagiva 549's permission I have posted some of the recent past ones...

Hope you enjoy...

Be well...

Ara & Spirit
    It is all in the BLOG...

The Oasis of My Soul

Our new Photo Gallery...

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)

A ride to Balmorhea Springs... awesome!

Don’t you be thinking now...
    On my way back from Balmorhea Hot Springs, a few miles into the ride, a black truck with blue and red was flashing... I could not see very well beyond it, looked like a couple bikes had kissed the grass...
    Not so...
    They were shooting a commercial! I stop... U turn... going the wrong way... the local Sheriff is not very happy, but the guys are... a sidecar with a dog? compared to the usual two wheel stuff they have been working on. Any chance to be in it?... I ask... sorry... wrong brand!
    Oh well... maybe better luck next time...
    The rest of the riding was great... it is all the Blog.

My last day in Texas... you have been good to me... I leave with some new friends and some incredible memories... and I will be back! There is no doubt about it...

Be well...

Ara and Spirit
    It is all in the BLOG...

The Oasis of My Soul

Our new Photo Gallery...

Ads