Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Happy-ass Lunatic

'06GSXR750 valve adjustment

So . . . I'm chatting with the service manager at the local dealership while my '06GSXR750 gets the 600-mile maintenance done. I'm asking about valve adjustment procedure (which won't be performed until 15K miles) and he says . . .

"Valve check is pretty much cut-and-dried on that bike, but if they have to be adjusted you have to pull the cams to put the shims in."

I'm thinking, "WTF?!?"

1) Is that right? Do you have to pull the camshafts to adjust the valves?
    2) Is this a major operation? Surely not. I mean, if you have to pull the cams just to adjust the valves, surely they come out pretty easily.

Then he said something that really made me think: "We don't do many valve checks or adjustment to GSXRs anyway, because most are totalled or stolen WAY before they reach 15,000 miles."

W . . . T . . . F!!!???!!!
    Go to hell

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Hehe. Did you ever do valves on your B6? You can see that pulling the cams isn't exactly a tough thing. A few bolts...

Whether he knows what he's talking about is another issue. I have no idea what type of adjusters they are: Shim-under-bucket, etc.
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    99 GSX-R 750 (SRAD)
    I've yet to need to adjust my valves yet, but reading up on the process, yes, removing the cams is a part of the procedure.

Its a pain, but its necessary.

My Bike(s)
    K7 750, 02 RC51
    Quote Originally Posted by themeatmanlandry
    Then he said something that really made me think: "We don't do many valve checks or adjustment to GSXRs anyway, because most are totalled or stolen WAY before they reach 15,000 miles."

W . . . T . . . F!!!???!!!

the 750 is the third most stolen bike currently and yes most of the rest do get totalled due to inexperienced riders buying them and wadding them up pdq.

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    2004 GSXR 750, 2003 Kawasaki Mean Streak, 2007 Susuzki DRZ400s. 1973 Kawasaki 175 Enduro
    You know I'd be surprised if you have to adjust or shim them. I have over 17K miles on mine...and..when I got that check done..they were right on.
    2004 Gixxer 750
    2003 Mean Streak 1500
    2007 DRZ400S
    1973 F7 Enduro

Happy-ass Lunatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer
    You know I'd be surprised if you have to adjust or shim them. I have over 17K miles on mine...and..when I got that check done..they were right on.
    May I ask if you, um . . . ride the @#$% out of it?

<as opposed to mostly commuting>
    Go to hell

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    2004 GSXR 750, 2003 Kawasaki Mean Streak, 2007 Susuzki DRZ400s. 1973 Kawasaki 175 Enduro
    May I ask if you, um . . . ride the @#$% out of it?

<as opposed to mostly commuting>
    Actually, most are surprised..I don't ever ride it to work. Just after work. I like to appear as a nice humble boss. Yes I ride it...hard. Not it's limits..but I ride it on a friends go-cart track to practice my turns racing an 05 1000 Gix. So yeah I would say hard. But, about the end of the summer, most all the guys that I was riding with crashed. Their own fault. Although they didn't admit it. So now I ride but keep the front wheel on the ground.
    2004 Gixxer 750
    2003 Mean Streak 1500
    2007 DRZ400S
    1973 F7 Enduro

Happy-ass Lunatic
    Actually, most are surprised..I don't ever ride it to work. Just after work. I like to appear as a nice humble boss. Yes I ride it...hard. Not it's limits..but I ride it on a friends go-cart track to practice my turns racing an 05 1000 Gix. So yeah I would say hard. But, about the end of the summer, most all the guys that I was riding with crashed. Their own fault. Although they didn't admit it. So now I ride but keep the front wheel on the ground.
    Thanks. I don't ride the GSXR hard . . . yet . . . but I'm learning. My Bandit 600 stays leaned over and/or at/near the redline a lot of times.

I feel better knowing that you ride like a whipped ape and your valves were fine at 17K miles. I'm not afraid of doing maintenance. You know how new machines seem intimidating at first when it comes to working on them. Thanks for the info.
    Go to hell

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    Thanks. I don't ride the GSXR hard . . . yet . . . but I'm learning. My Bandit 600 stays leaned over and/or at/near the redline a lot of times.

I feel better knowing that you ride like a whipped ape and your valves were fine at 17K miles. I'm not afraid of doing maintenance. You know how new machines seem intimidating at first when it comes to working on them. Thanks for the info.
    You'll if you're not convinced yet, love your 750. It, for me, matches me perfectly. I notice you said you are learning. Now I respect that you are one of the big posters here, but I wanted to add...keep that...that you are still learning all the time riding that thing. There is riding like a whipped Ape and then there is riding like a whipped Ape. For instance, the first time I rode my bike to it's limit, I went back to the dealership here in York. The sales manager is a retired AMA racer. When I told him of the riding I did I added "why in the world would anyone in their right mind ever need a 1000?!" He just smiled but understood.

And yours is even more powerful than mine too. Like 2nd gear at 60mph, your front end will come up. No clutch. I did this by accident. Notice I say accident...actually I was racing a 636. In all honestly that was no accident..it was me not knowing what that bike could do. I like it that the 750 doesn't surprise me...but...at least..not all the time. It's a beast above 9k. Below 6K it's a nice nimble bike.

Now of course I ride next to the guys pulling the front end up, and now say "My bike is a show bike now." I would even go as far as saying I have to fight myself not to show off when I see a bunch of little kids cheering me on...it's just so easy to get crazy on it.

As it is now...I am thoroghly enjoying my cruiser. If I go above 70 I feel like I am going over 165 on my Gixxer. My other Sport Bike friends have also bought crusiers..so now we're going on country roads and...smiling to ourselves...about how nice it is to just go 40 We still have our Sport Bikes. But now instead of the the Arai Quantum Okada, and Joe Rocket Flashy Suzuki jackets and pants...and the Racing Boots...we're all black..and leathery and I feel like we went from being Capt America to Marlin Brando

That Gixxer you have I know will and can do things that could test your upper limit of riding. Just please be careful.

Sincerely
    2004 Gixxer 750
    2003 Mean Streak 1500
    2007 DRZ400S
    1973 F7 Enduro

Happy-ass Lunatic
    I notice you said you are learning. Now I respect that you are one of the big posters here, but I wanted to add...keep that...that you are still learning all the time riding that thing. There is riding like a whipped Ape and then there is riding like a whipped Ape.
    By "learning" I mean I am one of those people that is constantly in a learning phase. By keeping that as my mantra, I stay humble (well, about most things ). I bought a 2002 Bandit 600S in July 2002. After putting 3-4,000 miles on it just tooling around, I plotted a course through the twisty sections of road near my home and have put the remaining 23-24,000 miles on the bike almost exclusively in those corners. I LOVE to turn a sportbike at speed.

WRT the GSXR . . . I know exactly what you are talking about. Like I told my wife: If bikes were guns, the B6 is like a .22 . . . I go plinking . . . the GSXR is like a .44. It's made for the real deal. The object is to NOT point that damned thing at your head and do something stupid.

I never dreamed a bike could have so much power.

<power wheelies at 60, huh? >

[EDIT]
    I have wanted a GSXR750 for a couple of years now. I read SportRider cover to cover and they always talk about the 750 having comparable power to a 1000, with handling characteristics comparable to 600 . . . buddy, that's my dream bike!
    Last edited by themeatmanlandry; 03-20-2007 at 12:24 PM.
    Go to hell

Supporting Vendor

My 03 Gixxer 1K has see some racing and fast track days. She has almost 16K and all the valves are still in spec.

Supporting Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRed94
    Hehe. Did you ever do valves on your B6? You can see that pulling the cams isn't exactly a tough thing. A few bolts...

Whether he knows what he's talking about is another issue. I have no idea what type of adjusters they are: Shim-under-bucket, etc.
    Pulling the cams on a gixxer motor is a little different. Instead of individule cam caps, it is all one unit on the top. Also checking clearance is a little easier and harder at the same time.

100% Title Free
    My Bike(s)
    '05 GSX-R750 (Anniversary Edition)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade
    Pulling the cams on a gixxer motor is a little different. Instead of individule cam caps, it is all one unit on the top. Also checking clearance is a little easier and harder at the same time.
    Easier and harder? How so? I'll be adjusting mine at my next service interval, so I'm interested.
    "Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." ~Hunter S. Thompson

Supporting Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Klein
    Easier and harder? How so? I'll be adjusting mine at my next service interval, so I'm interested.
    The best way I can describe it is that some of the spaces to get a feeler gauge into are tight but do able, also the cam cover (the part that holds the cams in place) is one piece. As to being easier, it is easier to get to the valve check than a Bandit.

I would highly recommend getting a shop manual if you are planning on doing it yourself and gove over doing the valve adjustment before actaully going in. Also they have some dowel type tubes (4 of them) inside that have o-ring type gaskets and these gaskets can sometimes come off with the cylinder head cover.

If you have any questions you can email me at bill@billsbikesnservice.com
    Last edited by Blade; 03-20-2007 at 10:34 PM.

100% Title Free
    My Bike(s)
    '05 GSX-R750 (Anniversary Edition)
    Thanks for the info, Bill. I currently have the shop manual on CD, but I'm just trying to round up as much info as possible to make the job go smoothly.
    "Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." ~Hunter S. Thompson

Ads