Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    2001 kawasaki nomad 1500cc

advice on buying Electra Glide

I have a 2001 vulcan nomad and am looking for a used electra glide, probably 4 or more years old. Any advice on what year I should look for as the best buy or what year to avoid. Long ride comfort and handling at all speeds is important. Thanks

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    09 m50
    idk much on them, but if they are used, MAKE SURE THE VIN MATCHES THE TITLE. my buddy got burned on that once. good luck though!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Y2K
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    I've owned 5 Harleys and 2 have been EG's ,I've done over 200,000 miles on the Electras alone.
    One of the best years is 2002 IMHO and should be reasonably priced,being older and an 88'' 5 speed they lost value in '07 when the 96" 6 speeds came out.
    '02 was the last year for the forged steel crank and Timken tapered roller main bearings,they also had the upgrade in rear axle size that year over previous bikes and sealed wheel bearings and better brakes that came along in '00 (mine is an '00 with 167,000 miles)
    You'll find a lot of them with the 95'' kit installed and maybe even a few with a 6 speed upgrade or you could have it done,my bike with a "hot" 95" is faster than a new 103" bike.
    The '08 models seem to be doing well and have come down in price since the '09's got a frame change as well as different wheels and tires.
    My buddy's '08 just flipped 20K and has been a great bike so far,seems some of the first year ('07) 96" 6 speed bikes had some issues they ironed out in '08 so I would maybe avoid '07's.
    '03 is another year I'd shy away from,seemed to be a lot with problems with that year,100th anniversary models were over produced because everyone thought they'd be real special.
    '99 and early '00 had some issues with cam bearing failure and premature cam chain shoe wear was an issue from '99-'06 on some bikes.
    I had gear drive S&S cams installed and the Torrington cam bearing upgrade done so no worries,she's been pretty damn bullet proof.
    All the '07-'11 TC96" bikes will fall in value some now as the 2012 touring bikes all get the 103" motor so I wouldn't rule out an '09 or '10 model.
    They have the new frame with a bigger rear tire and new 17" front wheel as well as the ABS Brembo brakes that came along in '08 I think.
    I've ridden an '09, it was a sweet bike but I wouldn't say it was so much better than my '00 that I'd just have to have one.
    I'd like a new bike but even with high miles I still love my 2000 and pound on it like it was new,she just keeps on keep'n on.
    So anyway,if '02 is too old I think I'd pursue an '08 model myself,96" 6 speed and a six gallon tank as well as those Brembo brakes.
    Again we'll see some deals on those being a year down from the new frame and now the "old" motor since the 103" are standard in touring bikes.

Well over 100,000 miles when this pic was taken.
    Last edited by Y2K; 07-03-2011 at 07:09 PM.

My Bike(s)
    2001 kawasaki nomad 1500cc
    Y2K Thanks for this fantastic info. It will give much to work with while deciding. All the best in your rides this season.

Y2K
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyoshi View Post
    Y2K Thanks for this fantastic info. It will give much to work with while deciding. All the best in your rides this season.
    Sure thing,glad to help,post up when you can especially if you find something your thinking of buying.

My Bike(s)
    09 Electra glide
    I just bought an 09 Electra Glide...bike is good but the wheel bearings are very bad. After having my front bearing go out with less then 25000 miles I checked on things. It turns out I was lucky to get that many miles on a set. Using the extended warrenty I had front and back replaced...so if your looking at any 09 models make sure you check that the bearing have been replaced before any road trips.

Y2K
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbert59 View Post
    I just bought an 09 Electra Glide...bike is good but the wheel bearings are very bad. After having my front bearing go out with less then 25000 miles I checked on things. It turns out I was lucky to get that many miles on a set. Using the extended warrenty I had front and back replaced...so if your looking at any 09 models make sure you check that the bearing have been replaced before any road trips.
    That's good to know,must have been a bad run from the supplier,it's happened before.
    I had mine (on a 2000 Classic) replaced at 90,000 miles just because they were at high mileage,turned out to be a big mistake.
    The replacements were from a bad batch,first the front went out at 10K and later with less than 20K the rear,needless to say I was PO'd.
    After getting both replaced again all has been well for many miles,I'm at nearly 170,000 total miles on the bike now.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    FXDWG
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyoshi View Post
    I have a 2001 vulcan nomad and am looking for a used electra glide, probably 4 or more years old. Any advice on what year I should look for as the best buy or what year to avoid. Long ride comfort and handling at all speeds is important. Thanks
    Are you still looking, Kyoshi? I know where ther eis an excellent '02 available, just like Y2K is talking about, with the 95" conversion and everything. I should really get it for myself. He wants about $11,500 for it, but it's real nice. It's around McHenry, Illinois. I should really get it for myself but I keep holding out for a Roadking or a Deluxe.

There's a SPECTACULAR '06 Deluxe around here for about the same money. A spectacular one! I'll post a photo from home when I get there.
    Turn on, tune in and ride off.

Ads