Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Rax
    My Bike(s)
    1995 Suzuki Katana 600

Oil change capacity

I recently purchased a 1995 Katana 600 and I need to change the oil. I already have the filter but I have no idea how much oil it needs because I do not have a manual. Does anyone know how much it takes?

Also, would anyone recommend against using Mobil 1 Synthetic?

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    M50
    I donít know how much to add but here's an old discussion, you can find plenty more regarding motor oil in this forum.

http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/fo...ad.php?t=13338

Personally I use Valvoline MC Oil; I pick it up for $2.79 a quart.

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Welcome, Rax. I suspect you've already discovered what your bike holds, but I'd normally start with 3 qts and add a half at a time until you see the level in the sight glass.

As for Mobil 1, I use it with great success. 15-50, that is. On a bike as old as yours, you're more likely to enhance any clutch slippage that's already occuring from normal wear. It's a bit of a gamble, but worth it I think.
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

My Bike(s)
    1995 Suzuki Katana
    I always have to take the oil cooler line off of mine to get the filter out from behind the header so it always takes about 5 litres. I always run castrol actevo with a k&n filter. If you have the same header as me you will need to unbolt the exhaust from the rear of the bike and have someone push down on it to be able to get the filter out.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2001 Katana
    I run royal purple in my fathers SRT-4 and it works wonders, most people start loosing boost, but the royal purple doesn't seem to gunk up the return lines like other oils, inturn I would imagine with the high compression it should work wonders.
    Life is my only exscuse.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Talking Oil Capacity

The bike holds just about 3.8 quarts from dry. Your oil choice is going to depend on the climate your riding in. Synthetics are fine, but if there is high mileage already you may find a bit of slipping in your clutch and missed up shifts. Royal purple is fine for cars with good cooling plants but on a bike in hot climate it tends to break down and become less effective. Just remeber the engineers that built the bike went to school to learn what they do. Just because your buddies didn't blow up thier bikes doesn't mean that's whats best for it.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2001 Katana
    Quote Originally Posted by darkknight
    The bike holds just about 3.8 quarts from dry. Your oil choice is going to depend on the climate your riding in. Synthetics are fine, but if there is high mileage already you may find a bit of slipping in your clutch and missed up shifts. Royal purple is fine for cars with good cooling plants but on a bike in hot climate it tends to break down and become less effective. Just remeber the engineers that built the bike went to school to learn what they do. Just because your buddies didn't blow up thier bikes doesn't mean that's whats best for it.
    None of my "buddies" ride bikes, thats why I asked about the royal purple in the katana. I know car mechanics not bike mechanics. I'd ask what oil is better, but I noticed no one looks at this location of the forums.
    Life is my only exscuse.

Ads