Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

Connecting A Gas Tank / Carbs on a 1992 750 Katana

I have a 1992 750 katana and I bought the bike with the gas tank and carbs disconnected. Since then I have been re-hooking up it using my manuel. But I've come to the gas tank and carb hoses and my manuel only explains (in detail) how to connect the 'California' model of the bike. Does anyone know how its connected or have a useful diagram of them? There are 4 hoses comming out of my carbs 2 of them are thicker and 2 of them are thin (the 2 thicker ones, I assume, go to both sides my petcock) but I have absolutly no idea where the 2 smaller tubes go or what fits on the third niple on the petcock.
    Thanks for any help possible

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

My Bike(s)
    1986 Kawasaki 600R, 1991 Suzuki Katana 750
    The two "tees" which face up, (should be black) at the bottom of the carbs are for fuel. The two at the top of the carbs (grey) are air/vapor, and I don't connect any tubing to the vapor tees.

The third nipple on your petcock is a vacuum line that connects to your #4 carburetor. You should see a fitting on the right side of the far right carb. There is a hose that connects that fitting to the fitting on the petcock.

As your demand for fuel rises during acceleration, the vacuum from the carbs pulls fuel down through the fuel lines. That is why fuel doesn't flow unless the engine is running. Unless of course, the petcock is in the "prime" position, then this bypasses this feature, and fuel will flow with vented air.

Good luck, and be careful with fuel. Believe me.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by helo_pilot View Post
    As your demand for fuel rises during acceleration, the vacuum from the carbs pulls fuel down through the fuel lines.
    Excellent post......up to this part!

The vacuum line merely OPENS the valve in the petcock. It is either open (engine running) or closed (engine not running)......there is no "sucking" of fuel through the fuel lines. It's all gravity all of the time. As your demand for more fuel occurs, it comes from the float bowls.

My Bike(s)
    1986 Kawasaki 600R, 1991 Suzuki Katana 750
    Thank you my good man. I appreciate the correction. I was a little fuzzy about the vacuum function.

Ads