Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    1990 Suzuki Katana 750cc

Oil Pan Gasket Removal Help?

I need some advice on how to remove the remainder of an old gasket from an oil pan.

As you can see in the photo; I've already removed about 70% of it and I now just need to get that big thick chunk at the widest part of the rim. I have used all kinds of scraping tools but I believe I am damaging the rim of the pan.

I think I might have already damaged the pan when I attempted to sand of a stubborn corner on the other end (see pic below). I won't know until I get the new gasket on and bolt it back on to the bike.

If by some miracle my sanding hasn't destroyed the pan; I would like to try and remove the remainder of the gasket without making it worse.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    1996 gsx600f
    I'd go for a wire wheel on a die grinder, or something to that effect. That should take it right off. Just don't forget your safety glasses, those wires are dangerous, and it's hard to ride when you're blind.

Ya, that corner looks pretty slanted, maybe a dab of gasket sealant on that end might help it out.

Oh ya, did you ever get your transmission sorted out?
    Last edited by Bubba600; 09-06-2008 at 01:10 AM. Reason: i put a , where a ' should be

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    1990 Suzuki Katana 750cc
    Thanks for the tip.

Working on the trany now.. got lots and lots of pics.. I will post progress in the next couple of weeks.

Sit speling cheker
    My Bike(s)
    1991 GSX 600f
    When I am removeing old gaskets I use a stanely knife blade or similar,wire wool and a degreasent. And the best tip is to take your time and NO POWER TOOLS they will just do damage.

Try soaking the mating surface over night in some degreaser which should loosen of the old gasket then carefully use the knife blade to lift it off, Then use the wire wool to remove what is left, I must stress if it takes a few hours, IT TAKES A FEW HOURS do not rush it.

You can find out if you have already damaged the one corner before refitting the oil pan by useing a steel rule or straight edge, If the gap is too big no amount of gasket seal will work to fill it , Might be worth looking around for a replacement oil pan just in case.
    Whatever you ride ride safe and keep the rubber on the ground and the shiny side up.

hostmydomainnow.com/

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    1996 gsx600f
    Sorry, maybe i should've been a little more clear. I'm not saying use a 30,000rpm angle grinder. Just something that spins relatively slow and a BRASS wheel, steel will scratch it up and possibly destroy it. I do not see any problems using brass since it is softer than even the soft steel of the belly pan. This is just my opinion though. I am sure pinky's suggestion will do the trick too, razor blades are great. Also, the more i look at the pan, it seems like it might be okay, because the angle seems to start behind the bolt hole, but i guess you won't know until you get it on, just torque it correctly.

Ads