Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki C50T

Question Any 2009 1700 Vulcan Voyager Owners

Hi, are there any owners of the new Voyager here. I would like to ask about your experience with this bike. I Love the look, I really want this to be my next bike, though I would like to ask about your experiences.
    It's not what you ride...It's that you ride that counts. Really

Great Deals on Satalite TV--Save $5 per month over buying direct from provider!!! http://www.vmcsatellite.com/?aid=311944

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    83 Gl650I
    Friend of mine was interested in one. Looked at it, a lot of bike for the $$. He decided on a Wing next spring.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    Kawasaki Voyager
    Well, I've had my Voyager since May of this year. So far I have only put about 1800 miles on it, but I have enjoyed every one of them.

I also looked at a Harley Electra Glide Classic (and Ultra Classic) and at Goldwings. The Kawasaki is priced better. The Electra Glide Classic was at least $22K OTD, and the Goldwing base model more than that. Besides, the Harley did not include cruise control, ABS brakes, or a 103 inch engine. That stuff would easily add at least $2500 to the Harley price, but my Voyager came with those items stock. The Goldwing is nice, but I wanted a v-twin. something with a more classic look. To be fair, the Harley comes with rear speakers on the Ultra Classic, and those are an add-on for the Voyager. But on the other hand, it is my opinion that the Kawasaki is built better. To cite two examples: 1) Harley owners are having real problems with the 96 engine crankshaft (do a Google search on "harley davidson crankshaft runout") because the crankshaft is built of three separate parts that are pressed together. Under engine stresses, the crankshaft gets out of alignment. On the other hand, the Kawasaki 1700 crankshaft is one piece of forged steel. 2) On the Harley, the primary drive and the final drive are on the same side of the bike. If the belt breaks, both have to come off ($$$). On the Kawasaki, the primary drive is on the right side, and the final drive on the left side. Replacing the belt is thus easier (and thus cheaper).

You will hear some people complain about the heat from the Voyager engine. I had a Suzuki C50T before this bike, and you will definitely notice the heat coming off the engine on the Voyager. However, I have been told that it is not any worse than a Harley, and as my bike breaks in more I notice it less and less. BTW, i'm in south Florida, the temp on Saturday was about 91 degrees, and I took a ride of about 90 miles and never thought the bike was too hot. I expect a 1700cc engine to put out some heat.

The bike is heavy (my previous bike was a Suzuki C50T), so I've had to get used to that, but I can now handle it just about as well as I did my Zuke. You will really feel like you are on a big bike. All that weight is a little less forgiving than my C50T. If you try to stop with the wheel turned, the bike will let you know that you shouldn't do that. I have not dropped mine, but I have had to learn to come to a stop with the front wheel basically straight, otherwise the bike wants to fall over (a matter of physics). I've also learned not to park in a downhill place; I could horse my C50T out of such spots with realtive ease, but a nearly-900 lb bike is harder to horse around like that.

Gas mileage on the Voyager was not so good at first, but as the engine breaks in it improves. I am consistently getting mileage in the low- to mid-40's now. If I ride "nicely," I can get about 48 mpg. Not bad for a 1700 engine.

The engine has tons of torque and power. At 70 mph it is only turning a little over 2500 rpms. The cruise control works perfectly.

You will hear some whine at about 35-40 mph. Some have said it is belt whine, others say it is gear whine. I noticed it when I first got the bike, but now I have to remember to listen for it to hear it. Some have said that loosening the belt just a little solves the problem.

I tilted the handlebars forward; stock setups are usually too low for my comfort. I tilted them forward to where they just miss the fairing when turned all the way to the steering stops, and it is just right. No need for risers.

I really like having a radio on the bike, more than I thought I would.

Overall, I have no substantial complaints. It is as close to my idea of the perfect bike that I have seen. If I could change anything, I would have a shorter windshield. I'm probably going to alter mine, cut it down about 2 or 3 inches. I'll probably add the new saddlebag trim, but other than that it already has everything I wish I had on my C50T.

Let me know if you have specific concerns or questions that I might be able to address.
    Last edited by DaveMc; 10-12-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: typo
    2009 Kawasaki Voyager

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki C50T

Thanks Dave

Dave thanks for the informative reply.

This will be my next bike!!!
    Today i got a phone call from Kawasaki Customer Service in responce to an inquiry I made on thier web site ( Contact Information - Kawasaki Motors Corp USA )
    I had made a request that they offer a driver's backrest option. Please also request it directly via the web. it seems they are awaiting feedback for options to offer.

I was also told that the 2010 model has made some sort of mod to address engine heat. exactly what that mod was I don't know.

I too am and have enjoyed my C50T... I have had mine for 18 months and have so far racked up 26K miles and counting...I commute 60 miles+ daily weather permitting each way to and from Savannah.

Thanks again for the input!

Stay alert! Stay safe! and above all enjoy the ride!!!
    It's not what you ride...It's that you ride that counts. Really

Great Deals on Satalite TV--Save $5 per month over buying direct from provider!!! http://www.vmcsatellite.com/?aid=311944

Ads