Motorcycle Forum banner

V-Strom's Corrosion Resistant?

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  C2W? 
#1 ·
Hey,

All you V-Strom owners out there. How are these things for corrosion resistance? I've had my Boulevard for about 8 weeks. 5000 miles and requires too much time polishing to keep the rust off! I need a wash, dry and ride bike. Looking for a bike designed to be ridden more than 1 weekend a month and the other 3 being polished.

#2 ·
Hehe. Most bikes that aren't cruisers have very little in the way of chrome. We prefer it that way, even though some people think little chrome = cheap bike. You won't see much rust on a V-strom.

To me, chrome is just extra weight and a nuisance to keep clean.

#3 ·
I assume all bikes (except for chrome) are pretty made the same with the same corrosion properties. I've had my SV since April. Ride it rain or shine and the bike spends all day at work outside, rain or shine (no cover). I washed it a few times, waxed it a few times but I bought the bike to ride it, not keep it showroom clean.

So far, the only place where's there rust is under the kickstand because of course, the paint has been scraped away due to use.

#7 ·
trappercase said:
I don't know if it's +1 or -1 when it's I don't care, but I don't care either, and I got chrome, it's usually greyish
I've got the same chromy stuff and I don't care. I mean I care like I'll wash the bike every two weeks or so if its looking particulary grubby but I don't have fits if its dirty. If the chain and the rear sprocket look really filthy/greasy that does bother me a bit but since and since I changed to a different chain lube and started using WD-40 to clean it first its looking pretty good most of the time ;)

#8 ·
"Greyish" and dirt don't bother me. Rust does! Still can't get over how easy these things rust! Big disappointment. I was originally looking at a V-Strom. Insurance rate differences steered me from the V-Strom to the S83. Never had a "cruiser" before this and thought I wanted one. Like the bike, happy with its performance but disgusted at how easy it rusts......

For my riding needs and demands really regret not getting the V-Strom and eating the difference in insurance.

Thanks for the replies guys. Think I'm going to trade up next year.......

#9 ·
I may be right there w/ ya on the V-Strom trade up. I recently removed all the aftermarket stuff on my little V-Star, because it was all getting rusty. None of the factory stuff is tarnished, but the HardKrome pipes the previous owner put on are constantly in need of a scrub.

#10 ·
I make it a habit to just give a quick wipe of wax on the part of the frame closest to the road. I do this about once per week. It takes about 15-20 seconds. No rust at all on my bikes, not even the dual sports. The front tire on the DR650 kicked up a large rock about 2 months ago, that left a chip on the frame. With the quick waxing, there is still no rust at the chip site. I use Meguiar's Quik Wax. It sprays on real fast, wipe it off, and you have a good protective coating.
Ride safely

#12 · (Edited)
I've had my C50 for over a year. It's ridden to work and other places frequently. I occasionally clean it, but right now it's out in the parking lot with a nice dirt and bug collection attached. We don't have bike shows at work. I'll clean it up sometime when I'm home and the weather is OK - and it will be fine. It can survive some dirt and roadcrud. I haven't had any rust problems.

Honda Pro spray cleaner / polish is a nice quick way to clean up your bike, it's the same stuff as the S100 polish / cleaner spray.

#13 ·
I do ride every day & yes I tried to keep my Intruder clean as a whistle. At times that is impossible for a daily rider, but it can be kept looking very nice

St0nkingByte said:
If you're a daily-riding kind of guy why do you care if your bike isn't absurdely shiny at all times?

Oh wait never mind me, most of the chrome on my bike isn't really chrome, its plastic-chrome that doesn't rust. Still looks fine too ;)

#14 ·
Compared to my 1400 Intruder which was washed at least once a week, my Wee Strom was only washed twice all season. As mentioned I'm a daily rider and actually take my cage off the road from mid May to mid October

S83 said:
Hey,

All you V-Strom owners out there. How are these things for corrosion resistance? I've had my Boulevard for about 8 weeks. 5000 miles and requires too much time polishing to keep the rust off! I need a wash, dry and ride bike. Looking for a bike designed to be ridden more than 1 weekend a month and the other 3 being polished.

#15 ·
My 6Fiddy has Lived at the beach for more than a year......2 small spots of rust on the joints in the headlight frame tubing and a couple of spots on the threaded surfaces of my HT siderack mounts. Washed once a month (when I remember)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.