Motorcycle Forum banner

M50 switch to V-Strom

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Night_Wolf 
#1 ·
Back in the summer I had made a deal with my uncle that we were both going to get bikes in the near future as it will be more fun to have a steady riding partner and gain riding experience together. I picked up a C50T in late early fall 2005 and have incredibly enjoyed the short time I have experienced riding the bike before the onset of fall/winter.
My uncle had been deliberating what to get and today we visited the local Suzuki dealer to purchase a black M50 for him. He tried out various bikes including the M50, S40/S83 and C50. As deliberation came down to colour of the M50, in another area of the showroom buried among the crotch rockets was a bike that stood out to him. Well, I guess some relationships are best based on first impressions. As soon as he got on the V-Strom 650 he exclaimed that this is what he was looking for and it's a fraction of the BMW's price (the Bimmer was a remote possibility in our discussion but was left aside as it would be too much first bike for his needs). Fate was sealed, this is really an awesome bike that combines the ruggedness and toughness of a sport bike with the driving position of a comfortable cruiser.
Great engine mated with a fairly light weight bike, comfortable seating and ease of handling made this bike the perfect choice. This is one great ride. All the best to the lucky V-Strom riders out there, you are a smart bunch. And to my uncle enjoy your new ride, have lots of fun & keep the shiny side up!!! GREAT CHOICE.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The V Strom realy is a do it all bike. Most times when a manufacture tries to make something to do everything, it winds up not being able to do anything very well. That's not the case with the V Stroms. OK, so it's not a trail bike, but it's at home in every other aspect of riding. The super slab, great mileage, and comfortable. Add some luggage and it will tour with the best of them, even two up. Put it on a twisty road, and very few sport bikes will be able to better it. Around town it works great in traffic, I like how it sits up high enough that I can see through the windshields of trucks, and SUV's in front of me. It even does a better than most job on dirt roads, 50 mph full lock slides on gravel sweepers is great fun. And when someone comes up to me and asks why I'm riding a crotch rocket, it's great fun educating them at length on the differences between a crotch rocket, and an adventure touring bike. I love this bike! In case I missed anything, I'm sure Night Wolf will be along shortly to fill in the gaps.

#3 ·
What dealer did you visit??? Does your uncle have his M2 yet??? Did he take a course and if so where??? I live in Toronto, teach for one of the schools and own a DL650 V-Strom. Is your uncle a tall man with longer legs??? The V-Strom is not what I would call a "beginner bike" I may be a teacher, but I haven't been riding that long that I have forgotten what it's like to be a new rider. Please tell your uncle to be careful as the Strom is a lot of bike for a new rider. A few accessories I highly recommend are the Hand guards w heated grips, engine guards, centre stand and aftermarket Givi luggage and racks. The hand guards will protect the levers and the engine guards will protect the bike when he drops it. Trust me he will drop the bike. It's both tall & topheavy and part of the reason it's not a great choice for a first bike

#4 ·
I like the V-Stroms, and I really liked the SV1000. How does the SV compare in height? I sat on an SV when I was bargaining for my cruiser, and at 6'-5" tall I was just barely able to stand flat-footed on it. Just wondered if they were similar in saddle height. Makes me wonder how anyone under 6' could comfortably hold it at a stand still. I'd gladly take either one, especially since Zuki dropped the Bandit.

#5 ·
I think the SV is a wee bit lower to the ground & I think the Strom is a better all around bike than the SV. You must have short legs :confused: I'm only 5'7" and I can almost flatfoot My Wee Strom and only the front has been lowered. BTW they didn't drop the Bandit, it's just not for sale in the USA. We can still get the 1200 and the 650 in Canada :cool:

cjjtulsa said:
I like the V-Stroms, and I really liked the SV1000. How does the SV compare in height? I sat on an SV when I was bargaining for my cruiser, and at 6'-5" tall I was just barely able to stand flat-footed on it. Just wondered if they were similar in saddle height. Makes me wonder how anyone under 6' could comfortably hold it at a stand still. I'd gladly take either one, especially since Zuki dropped the Bandit.

#6 · (Edited)
I have a 30'' inseam, and even though I"m only 5'8''. I can flat foot the DL 650. My Dl 1000 sits a bit higher, but all I had to do was swap out the 1000 seat for one off a 650, and now all is well. I friend of mine that is also 6'5'', has a DL 1000 with the tall seat on his, and he has his knees bent with his feet flat on the ground when he stops. His last bike was a 1200 Bandit, and he felt cramped on that, he also says the Strom is an easer bike to ride than the Bandit was. I never rode the Bandit, so I"m not sure why that would be. There is also a lowering link that you can get, that will get you about an inch and a half lower, but you loose a bit of ground clearance, and lean angle for the twisty's.
Night Wolf is right about the DL650 not being the best choice for a first bike, but what's done is done, and I think if he uses good common sense he should do alright. You didn't say how much riding your uncle has done, if this truly is his first bike, I wish him luck, he will need it. Also don't expect that your C50 will be able to keep up with that Wee Strom, the Strom has more HP, and less weight. Your "C" doesn't have a chance.

#7 ·
The first time I sat on a V-Strom my first thought was FINALLY! They built a bike that fits me. I'm 6'06 with a 37" inseam. So why did I end up with an S83? The look got me, got a great deal on it and at the time that particular dealer didn't have a V-Strom in stock. Wish I could justify a second bike to the wife, don't really want to give up my S83 to get one. Afraid that is what it is going to come to though.

#8 ·
I too love the look of the VS Intruders. I'm not as keen of the new S series Boulevards as it's missing the backrest and the bars are different. Not keen on the mirrors either

S83 said:
The first time I sat on a V-Strom my first thought was FINALLY! They built a bike that fits me. I'm 6'06 with a 37" inseam. So why did I end up with an S83? The look got me, got a great deal on it and at the time that particular dealer didn't have a V-Strom in stock. Wish I could justify a second bike to the wife, don't really want to give up my S83 to get one. Afraid that is what it is going to come to though.

#9 ·
No, hasn't taken the course yet, will take Humber course/test in spring. At the same time he is looking to take some private lessons to learn to better operate the bike. The 650 is a bit high but may get it lowered by a couple of inches once gets some use out of it. Purchased bike at Newemarket Suzuki. If you're interested to teach him how to ride the bike properly I'm sure he'd be glad to take a few lessons. Otherwise I'm sure he'll be just fine, from all the reports this is a great bike to handle and is going to be a great first ride after many years.

#11 ·
I'm an Instructor @ Humber and I typically book a lot of early weekends to teach so he could end up with me as an instructor. I don't do private lessons and Humber would frown upon that before he took the course, at least if I was giving the lessons. Last count there were 4 instructors with the Wee Strom, but if you have viewed my site, you'll recognize mine from the others if I'm teaching:cool:

ELGOLD C50T said:
No, hasn't taken the course yet, will take Humber course/test in spring. At the same time he is looking to take some private lessons to learn to better operate the bike. The 650 is a bit high but may get it lowered by a couple of inches once gets some use out of it. Purchased bike at Newemarket Suzuki. If you're interested to teach him how to ride the bike properly I'm sure he'd be glad to take a few lessons. Otherwise I'm sure he'll be just fine, from all the reports this is a great bike to handle and is going to be a great first ride after many years.

#12 ·
Thanks for your best wishes everyone!
Craig, I'll tell him to watch for you when he comes to class, perhaps you can share some V-Strom stuff with him. By the way I wasn't referring to riding lessons prior to taking the course, just in general after he's licensed to improve his skill. Is there a private type of school for motorcycle riding (like a Young Drivers type) in the GTA area??? If you know of any please let me know. Thanks to all again.

#13 ·
Night_Wolf said:
I think the SV is a wee bit lower to the ground & I think the Strom is a better all around bike than the SV. You must have short legs :confused: I'm only 5'7" and I can almost flatfoot My Wee Strom and only the front has been lowered. BTW they didn't drop the Bandit, it's just not for sale in the USA. We can still get the 1200 and the 650 in Canada :cool:
Must have been something wrong; I wear 38" inseam jeans, and the SV seemed tall.

#14 ·
No nothing like Young Drivers ;) What part of the city does he live in??? I can suggest a cpl riding clubs perhaps. He should get aprox 1500km under his butt before joining riding with any club. It's my opinion that it takes that long for most riders to become somewhat proficient at clutching, shifting & braking and large group rides are best undertaken once you have learned the basics

ELGOLD C50T said:
Thanks for your best wishes everyone!
Craig, I'll tell him to watch for you when he comes to class, perhaps you can share some V-Strom stuff with him. By the way I wasn't referring to riding lessons prior to taking the course, just in general after he's licensed to improve his skill. Is there a private type of school for motorcycle riding (like a Young Drivers type) in the GTA area??? If you know of any please let me know. Thanks to all again.

#15 ·
Night_Wolf said:
No nothing like Young Drivers ;) What part of the city does he live in??? I can suggest a cpl riding clubs perhaps. He should get aprox 1500km under his butt before joining riding with any club. It's my opinion that it takes that long for most riders to become somewhat proficient at clutching, shifting & braking and large group rides are best undertaken once you have learned the basics
Lives in King City. Would be nice to have a riding school where one could get some basic training before setting out on the road. I agree about riding clubs with you, we'll wait on that. Guess his training will have to come from the Humber course. Maybe someone should come up with a Motorcycle Riding School, considering bikes are becoming much more popular and powerful.

#16 ·
Have been through King City many times and often stop at the
for a coffee. If you see me on my Strom please introduce yourself. BTW unlike most owners my Luggage is always on the bike :cool:

ELGOLD C50T said:
Lives in King City. Would be nice to have a riding school where one could get some basic training before setting out on the road. I agree about riding clubs with you, we'll wait on that. Guess his training will have to come from the Humber course. Maybe someone should come up with a Motorcycle Riding School, considering bikes are becoming much more popular and powerful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.