Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1997 BMW R1100RT
    I actually searched the forum before posting. I saw some polite and not so polite responses about which bike is best for me. Glad this one is civil. Safety class is an absolute must. I realize not much time in the saddle is a negative. Hopefully we don't have any holy crap moments. He is an ER nurse and experienced rider. Don't think I could pick a better person for the trip.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    a few of more things.

1 invest in a decent comms system for the both of you. it'll make life easier.
    2. figure out how to drink while riding. i recommend a camelback ( you probably already own one being a triathlete)
    3. be extra careful on indian reservations. they seem to just make up laws as they go.
    4. the worlds largest frying pan is in brandon, iowa. which is a quick detour along the way.

Y2K
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Just my 2 cts having been a touring rider for decades now,I'd put off the trip for a year and get some everyday saddle time in.
    Get a bike and ride daily for a year first,not only will it hone your skills which could very well save your life it will also get your body (especially your butt) used to riding and belive me that can be huge.
    It's like anything else,there are muscles you will find that you didn't know you had,it's no fun being 1000 miles down the road with 500 to go just to get there and being in pain.
    Having your friend along is great but no help if you die on impact because you hit a corner wrong and went head on into a truck or that deer in Colorado jumped out of nowhere and your panic stop or evasive manuver skills weren't up to par and you go over a cliff or hit a tree.
    I've logged over 500,000 miles and still have at least a couple close calls on every big trip like that,not trying to scare ya away from it,just some food for thought.

That said it sounds like a great trip to do,when you're ready post up and I may have some good insights for you,I've ridden to the Grand Canyon 4 times and been about everywhere in the Western half of the country by motorcycle at one time or another.
    Last edited by Y2K; 11-18-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Y2K
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by slozomby View Post
    3. be extra careful on indian reservations. they seem to just make up laws as they go.
    Heh,I could tell ya a story about the night we spent in a tent on the Lakota Res in Pine Ridge SD . lol.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50
    Quote Originally Posted by slozomby View Post
    a few of more things.

I would really be interested in hearing more about this. Sounds a little bit like driving through mexico. Please share.
    2006 Suzuki M50
    2007 Victory Hammer

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50
    Excellent key points the OP should very seriously consider in Y2K's post (very well put by the way).

Quote Originally Posted by Y2K View Post
    ...I've logged over 500,000 miles and still have at least a couple close calls on every big trip like that...

therefore you MUST

... hone your skills which could very well save your life...

and probably the smarter decision would be to:

...put off the trip for a year and get some everyday saddle time in. Get a bike and ride daily for a year first....
    While my long distance riding experience pales in comparison to Y2Ks, I have also had very close calls, which only by the grace of god didn't land me in a casket, thus I completely agree that the risk should not be taken litely.

The size of the bike is not an issue, but the lack of riding experience could be.
    2006 Suzuki M50
    2007 Victory Hammer

Y2K
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    I'll bet this guy doesn't wear shorts while riding anymore.
    Anyway,it shows how fast things can turn bad.
    I've hit two deer so far myself.
    Last edited by Y2K; 11-18-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2005 M50

Is a touring bike really all that wrong for starting out?

On helmet camera - check. Riding gear - negative. Guess he spent all his money on the camera, love the backpack too :p

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1997 BMW R1100RT
    Ouch. He did at least have a cell phone. I'm guess he was pretty glad he had gloves on for his hand slide as well.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1997 BMW R1100RT
    Thanks to all that replied. I spent the weekend sitting on motorcycles at the local dealerships. I am NOT comfortable on the large touring motorcycles. The Yamaha 1100 was about the biggest bike I felt good on. I am used to my bicycle. Motorcycles seem awfully wide.

Y2K
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by lighthiker90 View Post
    Thanks to all that replied. I spent the weekend sitting on motorcycles at the local dealerships. I am NOT comfortable on the large touring motorcycles. The Yamaha 1100 was about the biggest bike I felt good on. I am used to my bicycle. Motorcycles seem awfully wide.
    Well then,that gets back to starting small and working up to a bigger bike doesn't it.
    It's really what you should do and it'll give you time to get some basic skills together,besides if you buy a cheap used cruiser and drop it a few times (and you probably will) it's not such a big deal as dumping a new expensive touring machine.

Starting into a big tour like you want to do with only 2 month experience is really not a good idea,like I said before get a bike and ride for a year,develop some skills and instincts,move up to a bigger bike and get used to it.
    You'll want a bigger bike for a trip like this,you'll need storage,comfort and weather protection that a smaller machine just won't have.
    Oh and just wondering,did you sit on any Harleys?.... some of their models are the easiest big bikes to handle at low speeds due to a very low center of gravity and they are hands down as comfortable as a motorcycle can get especially after a little tweaking to fit the individual (easily done with more parts available than any other make).
    Whatever you decide think it out and be safe,far too many "mid life" wannabes jump on a bike and end up badly hurt or dead in a short time,this is the simple truth,life on the road with a motorcycle is not "Wild Hogs" it's very real and can be damn dangerous.
    All that said,once you get the swing of it,it's about as much fun as you can have with your pants on.

This is my buddy Herb and wife Linda taken from the back of my bike by my wife,it was their first big road trip after moving up to a touring machine.(notice chit eat'n grin)

Last edited by Y2K; 11-26-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1997 BMW R1100RT
    I sat on several Harleys. I love the new anniversary paint scheme. The Dyna Glide fits nicely as well. I really liked it. It is well outside of my budget. I would feel horrible dumping a Harley. I am sure I will feel stupid and bad about dropping a $5K Yamaha, but not nearly as bad.

Y2K
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by lighthiker90 View Post
    I sat on several Harleys. I love the new anniversary paint scheme. The Dyna Glide fits nicely as well. I really liked it. It is well outside of my budget. I would feel horrible dumping a Harley. I am sure I will feel stupid and bad about dropping a $5K Yamaha, but not nearly as bad.
    Yeah the Dyna chassis is a great platform,the new Switchback is a crossover into a touring version based on the Dyna cruiser platform and would be a great choice but indeed not a cheap bike.
    A friend bought one and loves it,something to look at later perhaps.
    Another thought is a used Harley when the time comes to move up,in this economy and with H-D having made a lot of changes in drivetrains if not styling in recent years you'd be surprised how much bike you can get for your money buying used.
    There's tons of low mile older bikes out there currently to choose from,bikes like my 2000 Electra (only without the 172,000 miles lol) can be had in the sub $10K range now and going back to the 1990's bikes with the Evo engine ( great machines by the way) a good example might be had in the $5K-$6K range.
    You can also pic up used Gold Wings and Kawi Connies in the $3K-$5K range these days that are getting older but still in fine shape so there's lots of options.

Switchback
    Last edited by Y2K; 11-26-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Y2K
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Here ya go....$5K,throw on a windshield and a touring seat and away ya go.
    It's in your neck of the woods too
    Harley Davidson FLHS
    Just shows what can be done,I wouldn't hesitate to buy a '90's Evo powered bike,some H-D guys believe the Evo is a better engine than the Twincam that replaced it and they are certainly inexpensive to work on or even replace.
    Crate engines can be had less than $3K, H-D still has a factory rebuild program too,dealer installed you get a 2 year unlimited mile warranty.
    I've owned a couple Evos,my '84 did 100,000 miles without touching it and still ran good,I rode it in for a fresh top end the day after a 200 mile ride with the wife on board.
    She was puff'n a little smoke and leaking a little oil but nothing on the ground yet,it was a damn good bike and I miss it.
    Sold shortly after this pic was taken next to my Electra with 125,000 miles on the clock,everything worked and it ran better than new.

Last edited by Y2K; 11-26-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Y2K
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic

Ads