Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1997 BMW R1100RT

Motorcycle GVWR listing

Sorry for the newbie question, but am I missing something with regards to GVWR? I find most manufacturers don't list it. They list a dry weight. Is there a website that compares the GVWR for common bikes? It's useful information. I can't believe it is not standard to list it in bold print.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    not really. for your purposes, at least the initial cc trip, it shouldnt be much of a concern. most of the big cruisers are built for 2 up riding. so you + 100 lbs of gear wouldnt even come close to the limits and those limits are well on the safe side. based on some of the goldwing riders ive seen they'll do 600lbs of rider, passenger and gear fairly easily. but there might actually be a number listed in the owners manual.

the tires should have a max weight at pressure. and there should be a carry capacity number on the frame tag.
    Last edited by slozomby; 11-16-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1997 BMW R1100RT
    Shouldn't be an issue for one up trip I have planned. I am finding it difficult to find an online reference with them compared though. The V Star 950 Tourer maxes out at 419 lb and the V star 1300 at 463 lb. If riding two up on either one of these you are pretty much done as a typical american

Y2K
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    The main thing is to be sure your tires (especially the rear) are rated for the load you are going to carry.
    I've overloaded many a bike and never had much issue,mostly just low speed manuvering where you gotta watch your balance.
    Make sure you have a touring tire rated for some weight and again on the rear most importantly be sure it's inflated enough for the extra weight if you laod it down hard.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Suzuki Boulevard M50 Limited

Re: Motorcycle GVWR listing

Quote Originally Posted by Y2K View Post
    The main thing is to be sure your tires (especially the rear) are rated for the load you are going to carry.
    I've overloaded many a bike and never had much issue,mostly just low speed manuvering where you gotta watch your balance.
    Make sure you have a touring tire rated for some weight and again on the rear most importantly be sure it's inflated enough for the extra weight if you laod it down hard.

That pic is my home state! Which side were u going in?
    Sorry for jumping in!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Y2K
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by Msand View Post
    That pic is my home state! Which side were u going in?
    Sorry for jumping in!

......Oh gosh,not sure where that was now,I've crisscrossed WY a bunch of times over the years.
    I think we were down by Bear Lake,ID and going in toward Green River,heading on the way to Colorado via Flaming Gorge if memory serves.

This pic was about 20 years back,up in th Big Horn range.

We've ridden through Yellowstone 4 times on 3 different bikes.

Last edited by Y2K; 11-18-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)

i havent been home in 5yrs now, i hoped u enjoyed all your visits. Not sure i would have wanted to ride through Yellowstone tho. Lol those buffalo road blocks can be a pain.

Y2K
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    i havent been home in 5yrs now, i hoped u enjoyed all your visits. Not sure i would have wanted to ride through Yellowstone tho. Lol those buffalo road blocks can be a pain.

Oh yeah,we enjoyed every trip,we tend to take off for a week or two and cover thousands of miles in numerous states when we go.
    I'm jones'n bad for a big ride,haven't done one since the start of this damn recession,lost my job of 24 years in '09 and work was slow for a couple years before that so our last multi-week tour was back in '06.
    We're on the rebound now,started a new carreer 2 years ago at age 54 and it's going well enough to be building a new home on our 5 1/2 acres in the sticks near Mt.St.Helens.
    Hope to buy a new bike in a couple years but my old faithful 2000 E-Glide will still get us there despite it's being closer to 200K miles than 100K miles,maybe next Summer we'll at least get away for a ride down to Yosemite or something,still have to build a deck and landscape the new home so it'll probably be another Summer before a big roadtrip but it's coming.
    I'll tell you where there's a lot of Buffalo and that's at Teddy Roosevelt Nat. Park in North Dakota..... Theodore Roosevelt National Park - Theodore Roosevelt National Park but yeah they do block the road in Yellowstone at times lol.

I think one of my favorite places in Wyoming is Shell Canyon in the Big Horn Mountains.
    Bighorn Scenic Byway

Last edited by Y2K; 11-19-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)

U r seriously making me homesick!

Sorry for hijacking this post

Y2K
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    U r seriously making me homesick!

Sorry for hijacking this post

..... well maybe it's time for a motorcycle vacation.......

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1997 BMW R1100RT
    Really nice pictures. Thanks for all of your thoughts. I am pretty sure proper tires don't increase the GVWR. No doubt they help. Since the standard now seems to be to deny all claims by insurance companies I would think overloading your bike would result in the insurance company refusing to pay should you be involved in an accident. Here in NY we would drag the lawsuit out for a couple of years and really drain you dry as well.

Y2K
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by lighthiker90 View Post
    I am pretty sure proper tires don't increase the GVWR. ..
    Well no but they can be the difference between life and death lol.
    Your GVWR should be in the owners manual.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1997 BMW R1100RT
    Y2K - I agree. I was politely disagreeing with the notion that it is ok to overload a motorcycle if I have better tires. I am paraphrasing the post somewhat. The GVWR is in the owners manual and stamped on the bike. My point was I would really like an online comparison of GVWR to aid in purchasing one. Re-reading my post I guess that wasn't clear. Sorry.

Y2K
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by lighthiker90 View Post
    My point was I would really like an online comparison of GVWR to aid in purchasing one. Re-reading my post I guess that wasn't clear. Sorry.
    I doubt such a thing exists,as for overloading....meh,in 40+ years of riding I've probably gone over the GVWR on every bike I've owned lol.
    500,000+ miles with no ill effects so ....

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1997 BMW R1100RT
    Quite a few miles there Y2K. You get around. I doubt I will ever approach it, but my anal engineering side loves data and numbers. I keep trying to make it go away, it's just too big a part of me.

Ads