Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    In Training
    My Bike(s)
    05 suzuki m50

valve adjustment done

well, I learned a valuable lesson today.. there is no amount of money the dealer could charge that would make it not worth it to just let them do it. The actual adjustment of the valves is a piece of cake. However actually getting to the darn things to adjust them is difficult enough to make even me cuss like a sailor. (although thats not that difficult)

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Well, once you read a few of the horror stories about what dealers tend to do to your bike, you'll probably feel differently. No dealer touches my bike any more. Too many bad experiences.
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    M-50
    Are you sure they did it or just take the tank off to make the shop manager think they are??????????????????????? Me I like to watch

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    Red '05 M50
    i did mine this weekend as well sc99, and i agree it is a very tight space to get into, but i will continue to do it myself. i don't like to cuss, but will every time i do it. i don't know if you've read about my experience in the "stealer report" thread, but those guys can stick it up their tail pipe. maybe it will be easier the next time......

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    M50
    what size socket works and did you use a swivel head to get to it? either one of ya.
    I ate Chinese last night..........should of seen her struggle when i put her in the van.
    Доверя́й, но проверя́й.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    Red '05 M50
    i used an open end wrench for the jamnut and a ver small adjustable wrench (4") for the set screw dragbar.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    M50
    what size open end? darn ar-kansas folks..hard as hell to get an answer out of ..hehe j/k m8
    I ate Chinese last night..........should of seen her struggle when i put her in the van.
    Доверя́й, но проверя́й.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    Red '05 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbar
    what size open end? darn ar-kansas folks..hard as hell to get an answer out of ..hehe j/k m8

and you moutainmisery folks need things spelled out (show me state)
    i think it was a 10mm open end and a metric left handed adjustable wrench.

Foil Inspector
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by outlaw2
    metric left handed adjustable wrench.
    Ooohh.. I need a good left-handed wrench! muahahaha!
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    M50
    lol
    Доверя́й, но проверя́й.

Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    '05 M50 Black
    Quote Originally Posted by outlaw
    i think it was a 10mm open end and a metric left handed adjustable wrench.

Outlaw, does Harbor Freight sell them thar metric left handed adjustable wrenches?? Can't find 'em on the local Snap-On truck...

vhmike73
    "It's people like you what cause unrest!"

Vance & Hines Straightshots *** DynoJet PowerCommander III USB *** Thunder Mfg. S&S Intake kit *** De-PAIRed with Moccasin Mike's PAIR Valve Removal Kit
    Küryakyn ISO grips w/Throttle Bosses, Ellipse mirrors & Wide Levers *** MAPAM Foward Controls
    Corbin Classic Solo & Touring Pillion *** Suzuki Low Backrest & Rack, Carbon Fiber Tank Bra, Tank/Speedo & Frame Cover Trim
    Priority Lites Run-Turn-Brake Controller *** Clear Alternatives lenses w/LED replacement bulbs (Amber 1157 front/Red 1156 rear)
    "BlaznBlu50"-inspired Tail Mod w/Radiantz LED License Plate Frame
    T-Bags "Reno" Tailbag *** Saddlemen Drifter Slant (Jumbo) Saddlebags w/Easy Brackets

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    05 suzuki m50
    sorry it took me so long to repost, but alas here are some tips for whenever it is that you decide to do your own valve adjustment.
    First things first, when you remove the tank, and finally get it out of the way, just go ahead, save yourself any future headaches, and replace the stock stupid, clip link fuel line, with that piece of spare fuel line, and two clamps you have hidiing in that spare parts drawer over in the corner. This little mod alone will save you all sorts of headache later.
    crap I gotta go, my daughter just found a snake in the yard... time to go be a man.

will finish later.

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2008 C90 SE
    Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRed94
    Well, once you read a few of the horror stories about what dealers tend to do to your bike, you'll probably feel differently. No dealer touches my bike any more. Too many bad experiences.

Do you think I'd be better off with an independent mechanic, I am leaning that way. I will change my own oil and easy stuff like that but i am not very mechanical so i am really in need of a mechanic. To tell the truth I'm a dab hand at taking things apart, juist hopeless at getting them back together again!
    Ride Safe
    Hammersfan

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    Red '05 M50
    i, personnally, would recommend an independant, if you have a good one. dealers suck and if your not inclined that way, you'd be better off. it might help you to buy the service manual for your bike. indys don't have them sometimes. i've been a mechanic for 13 years and it was difficult at best to get in to measure the valves. just my 2 pennies.... btw, soundcolor, that is good advice on the fuel hose. that thing was a *&%*%. the first time i took it off the tank had, maybe, 1/2 gallon of fuel. the second time it was almost full. something else i found, after you get it off and on the floor, if you take the cap off it will keep it from leaking out of the bottom.
    Last edited by outlaw; 04-13-2006 at 07:25 PM.

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    It doesn't really matter whether they're independant or not. You just have to get to know them (dinner at the folks'?) and verify that they actually would trade a rat's arse for the welfare of your bike.
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

Ads