Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Black M50
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone
    ...Why are we doing this? What is a pair valve and why would you remove it? Sorry, I'm still learning.

Thanks
    Okay, take notes as this is the detailed explanation.

dkkt wilddg sdad kkkklakdj lakd. Thhdk sad pecxcd adfsd llkjwwew, adf reznxc ouoerd. Aseer adklfj ouoeww aljdflk ccxsfswe asdfkljsd wer adssadf!!! Ruouad jlkajdfuoi adfoi eqqwzx asduio owuoijarud asldfiueyuoeus asd erws oud ewrs sdofyu, wouee afdsf aeoucjd, adkle adfou daoudsof.

So, ouowe asdklfjlj isaswe asdfioe (alkjdkl aldsjlj qewouiajl opuizcxasdfj) adkljoiui adouiqewnzc poui elwk w i lad lakjdfdj asdluoi qer lasjd. Wysisah whej ahd czxouoe?

And that's really all there is to it.

Sorry, I have no idea either. Someone PLEASE tell us WHY.
    2006 Black M50 - V&H Cruzers, Dinojet PCIII, Kuryakyn hypercharger with Stinger door & black butterflies, skull mirrors, ISO grips, stiletto end caps, throttle boss, zombie foot pegs, OEM CF gel seat, CF speedo and tank trim, Mapam radiator cover, Sylvania Silverstar headlight bulb, Stebel air horn, Signal Dynamics BackOff XP, black license frame with LED strip, Misc. skull license plate bolts with LED eyes, flaming skull emblems, X-Cessories skull seat bolt and key holder

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    06 M50 Black
    Short version. Pair valve is an emissions device.

Droopy

06 Black M50, OEM Backrest, Cobra Slashcut Drag Pipes baffels in, MS Pop Top, Tail Light Mod, C50 mirrors, John's Fowards Kit,More to Come

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Custom M50

I'll try to answer the question:

The pair valve is part of the emission control system. The valve injects air into the exhaust ports to facilitate the burning of any unconsumed hydrocarbons left over from the combustion process. The burning of these hydrocarbons is evidenced in burbling and popping noises (very slight) on the stock exhaust.

Since the stock exhaust is of a smaller diameter than most aftermarket exhausts , there is more back pressure in the exhaust to keep the pair valve operation quite. After marlket exhausts have lower back pressure and allow a larger pop and more of them when the pair valve injects air to burn the residual hydrocarbons.

A way to prevent back fires when using aftermarket exhausts is to disable the pair valve. I believe tuning the FI is another. If the pair valve is disabled you can clean up the jugs on your bike by removing the valve and plumbing.

Corrections appreciated.
    Call me Marc

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    06 M50 Black

Thumbs up

Thats what I said.

Droopy

06 Black M50, OEM Backrest, Cobra Slashcut Drag Pipes baffels in, MS Pop Top, Tail Light Mod, C50 mirrors, John's Fowards Kit,More to Come

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    06 M50, Black
    Hey Andre, You were right! ha ha ha. That was hilarious man.

Thanks MBGraham. Good explaination.
    T-Bone

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2002 Marauder VZ800
    The PAIR valve is installed in the first place so the bike can be imported to the united states and pass emission standards....even though motorcycles arent tested for emmissions,at least not around these parts (Northeast).
    GOD I love this country! I really do....
    Due to budgetary constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel is being turned off

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    '07 M50
    any body know how to get rid of all the emissions crap that is on the right side of the Ca. models

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2006 M50
    so, I can unhook the wiring to the pair valve silenoid without any worries of FI warning light coming on????

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    '04 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior
    well mine being the older brother to the M (aka 'rauder) i just depaired mine. being the inventive and creative (aka cheap) i made my own kit to remove it. i don't have any wires on mine. just 2 air lines and one small vacuum line. pluged the vacuum line and welded the small holes on both plates shut. problem solved. love the nekkid jugs.

GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!!!!!!

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    If you depair and remove the pair valve assembly, DO NOT THROW AWAY THE BRACKET THAT MOUNTS IT TO THE ENGINE! That piece is like gold if you do a few adjustments with it. It's a great brace for mods.

Obviously I wouldn't be writing that if I weren't in the process of using it for a mod!

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    06 M50
    i love the look of the nekid jugs....im gonna have to talk to my inspector friend to see if it'll still pass Va state inspection. if so im gonna do it soon.

Jim, after reading a good number of post's here, i see that you are an M50 macgyver...awesome work....if i could get away from my kids for 5 min's i might learn how to fabricate stuff myself.

Mike

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by vabeachblvd View Post
    i love the look of the nekid jugs....im gonna have to talk to my inspector friend to see if it'll still pass Va state inspection. if so im gonna do it soon.

Jim, after reading a good number of post's here, i see that you are an M50 macgyver...awesome work....if i could get away from my kids for 5 min's i might learn how to fabricate stuff myself.

Mike
    Thanks. Actually I'm just caught between the inability to leave stuff alone and the inability to pay for the stuff I really want.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    06 M50
    i have those same inabiilities....i also have the inability to be patient. if i come up with an idea, i always rush to get it done because i ride every chance i get so i hate having my bike unrideable. of course rushing leads to half a$$ work which winds up looking like hot garbage....to go even further off topic, where in northern bama you live at?? my sisters in-laws and a friend of mine who recently got out of the navy both live in huntsville.

Mike

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by vabeachblvd View Post
    i have those same inabiilities....i also have the inability to be patient. if i come up with an idea, i always rush to get it done because i ride every chance i get so i hate having my bike unrideable. of course rushing leads to half a$$ work which winds up looking like hot garbage....to go even further off topic, where in northern bama you live at?? my sisters in-laws and a friend of mine who recently got out of the navy both live in huntsville.

Mike
    I went to high school in Huntsville. I know it pretty well. I live about 45 minutes south.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    M50
    The PAIR valve solenoid can be tucked in behind the neck covers along with the ignition switch. And then forgotten about. When I see an M with the PAIR valve, I want to leave a note on the bike telling them to ditch the horrible plastic chrome hernia & reveal the jugglies.

Ads