Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: M50 vs S50

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    08 FJR 1300A

Lightbulb M50 vs S50

What are the main differences? Do they use the same engine? How can the S50 be about 100 lbs lighter? Has anyone ridden both? What are your impressions?
    Safe riding...

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50 Candy Grand Blue with 67,550 miles since May 18th 2006

Quite a bit actually

M50 has fuel injection so you have all the electronic stuff and shaft drive with the rear differential ,both add pounds along with a bigger fuel tank and a huge muffler system. Also the M50 is water cooled with extra water and a radiator. The M50 has cast wheels.All of which add weight.
    S50 has a lighter swing arm ,it also has carburetors, smaller and lighter dual exhaust,and it has spoke wheels. It is also air cooled.

Both have the 805 cc. engine,same engine different fuel delivery systems.

M50 is a muscle cruiser. Low center of gravity. Nice for cruising around.
    S50 is a chopper styled bike. A little more upright. A little faster,because it's lighter.
    Last edited by DragonRider; 01-22-2007 at 07:55 PM.

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    07 Vulcan 1600 Classic
    The s50 has a higher compression ratio engine which makes a little more horse power. My dad has a s50, I ride it every now and then its not quite has comfortable as the M but its a little faster all around and a little more nimble. Given a choice I like the M's riding position and smoother ride, but thats just my opinion.

Handlebar Consultant
    sit on both, you will see, the s50 is WAAAY narrower and everything on it is smaller....its a nice bike too though

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    08 FJR 1300A

Thumbs up Implications of heavier wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonRider
    M50 has fuel injection so you have all the electronic stuff and shaft drive with the rear differential ,both add pounds along with a bigger fuel tank and a huge muffler system. Also the M50 is water cooled with extra water and a radiator. The M50 has cast wheels.All of which add weight.
    S50 has a lighter swing arm and chain it also has carburetors, smaller and lighter dual exhaust,and it has spoke wheels. It is also air cooled.

Both have the 805 cc. engine,same engine different fuel delivery systems.

M50 is a muscle cruiser. Low center of gravity. Nice for cruising around.
    S50 is a chopper styled bike. A little more upright. A little faster,because it's lighter.
    Suzuki site states, only difference (notable) seems to be the fuel injection. Both bikes are liquid cooled, both have shaft drive. I am not sure if you can count all the weight on the fuel injection, but you have a good point on the cast wheels, and 2-to-1 exhaust, also the smaller fuel tank.

May be some experienced riders can tell us about the riding characteristics/implications of heavier wheels? Does it make any difference in steering.

Suzuki® Cruiser Boulevard S50 Specifications

Thanks again....
    Safe riding...

Top Gear ! Full Throttle!
    My Bike(s)
    '06 M50 Black

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    07 Vulcan 1600 Classic
    Go back and check your link, the s50 is 10 to1 and the m50 is 9.4 to 1.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    These two bikes do NOT use the same motor. Despite having the same displacement, they have different heads, cylinders, engine cases, intake sytems, exhaust, ignition systems, cams, crankshafts, oil pumps, and pistons. The only parts they have in common are the connecting rods and some nuts and bolts.

The S50 is fast as all get out, with a quarter mile time more than two full seconds faster than the M50 (13.30 @ 97.2 MPH Vs 15.49 seconds @ 83.2 mph, both tested by Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine). The motor is a high-reving, high compression motor with two carbs and steep gearing, originally designed for the XV800, a sort of naked sportbike looking standard with good performance but strange styling that made it a sales flop. The S50 is a lighter, more powerful bike with more lean angle before it bottoms out than the M50, exceptionally light and 'flickable' in corners.
    It is also 20 years old, and due to be canceled in a year or two. The suspension is dated, the brakes only average. But it is completely bulletproof- hell, I put 135,000 miles on one. I still have one to play with up in the mountains every now and then. The styling is narrow, and the bike overall is kind of small. It is busy at interstate speeds and cramped on long trips, but if you want performance the S50 is the bike you want.

The M50 uses a slightly modified C50 motor, itself simply a single-carb Volusia motor updated with fuel injection, with lower compression and lower gearing. While it lacks the S50's performance, it is a smoother motor. The M50 is physically a much larger motorcycle and heavier motorcycle, giving it a smoother ride. The styling is certainly more modern, and muscular, though most people either love it or hate it. While it is a fairly new model the mechanicals have been in production for several years (minus the fuel injection) and have also developed a good reputation. And it will likely continue in production for many more years. If you are looking for modern styling, modern features, and a comfortable, full-sized machine, the M50 is your bike.

The styling of the two bikes is night and day, so it seems to me that one or the other would not appeal to you.
    Last edited by DrBob; 01-21-2007 at 11:36 PM.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    07 Vulcan 1600 Classic
    Dr.Bob knows his stuff, he can also recite the periodic table including their atomic numbers in reverse.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    Red '05 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by Low&Slow
    Dr.Bob knows his stuff, he can also recite the periodic table including their atomic numbers in reverse.
    blindfolded, with both hands tied behind his back, inverted, with the sound of fingernails on a chaulk board in the background.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    '06 M50 (Blue)
    Quote Originally Posted by outlaw
    blindfolded, with both hands tied behind his back, inverted, with the sound of fingernails on a chaulk board in the background.
    While watching Rosie O'Donnell

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    Quote Originally Posted by Low&Slow
    Only if it is the Suzuki periodic table, or on parts microfiche

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw
    Oh God no! Not the fingernails!

Quote Originally Posted by JustinOhio
    While watching Rosie O'Donnell
    Rosie O'mygodI'msuchafatass%%%%%? I'd rather hear the fingernails.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    06 M50 in Bluuuuuuuuue
    I finally get a chance to show how smart I am...and Frickin Bob says everything I was going to say.

Well done sir.

Frankly, I'm suprised anyone would be comparing the 2. There's such an odd leap in styling/power/everything between the 2 that I'd assume anyone looking at both is probably in the very, very early stages of shopping.

Having ridden both, I like my M better. Not that the S isn't a nice bike, but there are bikes I like a lot more to do what I can do on the S. As far as unique cruisers go, I don't like any of em better than my M.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    Red '05 M50
    i can attest to the power increase over the m. tnicholes has one and we've ridden together a few times in the mountains. he can pull away from me with no problem. i will also say he rides the "choice fluids" right out of it.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '11 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    Yeah just don't be suprised if the M turns out to be a little faster than what the Dr said. Can't keep up with the S but 15s is pessimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Handy
    Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you.
    Loud pipes and other myths.
    R.I.P. Gregory Brewer 01/31/51-07/01/12

Ads