Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2006 M50 Blue

Fuel gauge question??

First of all, I am new to this site as well as riding. I have owned my 2006 M50 for about 6 months. Riding this bike is fun but not knowing how much fuel I have is sometimes nerve racking. I would like some advice on the fuel gauge. I am either thinking of purchasing an after market device and installing that or going with a speedometer from a 2007 M50 since it has a fuel gauge built into it. Could you guys help me with this delimma since I have no clue and am mechanically challenged as well. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and point me in the right direction.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Forensic Bug Splatter Analyst
    My Bike(s)
    05 Boulevard C50 LE, 06 S40 (wife's bike)
    although I can't help with your question, there are others who can, be patient though, sometimes getting responses on the weekend can take quite a while.

Ditch Magnet
    I "think" you might have to buy the complete fuel pump + sender unit for a '07 as well. For sure the sending unit that is part of the fuel pump assembly, as the '07 one is most likely a hinged/swivel unit whereas the '06 was a static one .You will also have to alter the wiring from the tank to the speedo.
    That's a lot of $$
    2006 M50, Black

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    2003 MeanStreak 1500
    I think the tank needs to be set up for it....and I doubt the 2k6ers are.
    IMHO: its more accurate to go by the mileage per tank and an aftermarket fuel gauge will prob be more hassle than its worth.

my savage only had an odometer....no trip meters so i'd have to jot down the mileage of the last fill up.
    90$ M50 Final Drive

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2008 Victory Vision Tour Premium Steel Grey
    Hi Desi, welcome aboard!I have my 2006 M50 blue for about 3000 miles (since october)and after break-in no matter how hard or easy I ride I get about 50 mpg. I always fill up between 100-150 miles and have never seen the low fuel light. I worry less about the fuel levels and more about what is going on around me. Unless you are riding in really desolate areas, when the light comes on you have 40-50 miles until empty. Enjoy the ride!!!

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Red M50
    I'm with devilboy. I have a 2005 m50 and I just start the trip meter over everytime I fill her up, usually around 100 or 150 miles also. It took me some getting used to at first, but it's not a big deal at all now.
    Chancellor Engine Company 5
    Second to None

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Even those of us with fuel gauges often end up relying on mileage instead. Once you get to know your bike, you'll know how far you can go.
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

Third gear and cruising
    My Bike(s)
    '06 M50 Grey
    Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRed94
    Once you get to know your bike, you'll know how far you can go.
    I agree, after a while it will be a non issue. Unless you're just dead set on it, I wouldn't worry about a fuel gauge and save your money for some better type of upgrade to the M.

...oh yeah and to the forum!
    I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    06' M50 Black
    I contacted Oneida as well as my local dealership and they say the 2007 fuel gauge won't work on the 2006. You would need not only the sending unit, but they changed the wiring harness and it cannot be retrofitted. They say it just can't be done..

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    M-50
    Go with the mileage or go until the light flashes and see how much it take to fill it up.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    '06 M50 (Blue)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frizzy79
    I contacted Oneida as well as my local dealership and they say the 2007 fuel gauge won't work on the 2006. You would need not only the sending unit, but they changed the wiring harness and it cannot be retrofitted. They say it just can't be done..
    Call them back and say that you were going to pay 3,000 bucks to have it done but since they can't do it, oh well.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2006 M50 Blue
    Well I must thank all of you who took the liberty to answer my question and point me in the direction of saving my money. For that help once again I thank you guys.

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    06 M50 in Bluuuuuuuuue
    fuel gauge shmool gauge. Half the time it'll get you in more trouble following it instead of using your trip meter. Plus, there's no investment in extr aparts that way, and that monet can be used for chrome bits, exhaust, or a "ram air" setup.
    06 Blue M50 - Loved it for 20k, but its time for something new, something 2.25 times bigger

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2005 M50 Black
    I have ridden about 30 miles after the light started flashing at that point the light remained lit. When I filled up I had .4 gal. So for me thats a good warning.

Want's A New Title
    My Bike(s)
    2012 Yamaha XT 250 (dual sport)
    I have never gotten my idiot light to stay lit...as soon as she starts flashing...which can take anywhere from 150 to 170 miles to happen, I get more fuel.

Using the trip meter is VERY safe and easy to use. Don't waste any time investigating it further.

...and if you'd still rather have the guage...I'd suggest you trade in the bike for a newer model...it's about the only way you'll get one.

Ads