Motorcycle Forum banner

exhaust leak question

43K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Easy Rider 
#1 ·
I have an exaust leak where the muffler meets the header.
Will this effect performance or hurt the bike? and how do I get rid of it?
I've tightened the muffler onto the pipe as tight as possible but it seems to come out of that area.

I'm also getting the occasional backfire on hard decel.

#3 ·
the gaskets are new...there is no leak between the header and cylinder.
its a 2-1 jardine megaphone
its a leak between the muffler(megaphone) and the header.
specifically at the point where I would tighten the muffler onto the header pipe.

#4 ·
dude i have the exact same problem. but i found out that i have 2 copper rings that go on the headers where it connects to the engine. you might have the same thing. i am going to replace them on thursday and ill tell you if that fixes the problem. i hope this helps but i dont know that it will because i have a 2004 suzuki sv650s.

#5 ·
I do follow where your leak is but not familiar with how that Jardine pipe connects. Do those have some sort of replaceable gasket for that or do they just slip/clamp on? If it slips on and is just too loose a fit to get tightened enough you may be able to get some exhaust repair tape and wrap a little of that around the pipe and then slip the can/muffler back on for a tighter fit.

#6 ·
I have the same pipe, are you sure it is leaking ? I think you may be able to use a small band clamp to help seal it up.

#7 ·
I have an exaust leak where the muffler meets the header.
What I won't do:
Tell you that you are not smart enough to identify an exhaust leak.
Tell you that the problem is in a spot where you specifically said it is NOT.
:shock:

This usually results from cheap, poorly designed pipes OR not getting the muffler pushed onto the pipe far enough before you tighten it.
Alas, it is often not possible to get them to overlap as far as they should.

If it is a small leak.....that is, you don't notice it unless you really LOOK for it, then I wouldn't worry about it. It might actually be good in that it will drain out condensation should you collect any in the pipe.

If the backfire is more of a pop than a BANG, I wouldn't worry about that either.........unless you plan to re-jet or remap......in which case it should disappear when you get the mixture right.

#8 ·
I had the same problems with a Jardine 2 into 1 system recently installed. Overtightening the clamp bolt on the Jardine megaphone didn't stop it completely, although it did reduce it somewhat.

I bought a Cobra stainless steel muffler clamp that did the trick. I installed it just in front of the bolt that is already on the megaphone and tightened it firmly. There are two Cobra clamp sizes that should fit over the megaphone -- just over 2" diameter. I chose the smaller of the two sizes that looked as though they would fit and ended up with the larger size on a second try.

Ray Nielsen, in Minneapolis and went for a ride yesterday.

#9 ·
:mrgreen:
I fixed it....i used a little bit of exhaust patching material and placed it strategically around the part that inserts into the muffler.

This has been fixed for...oh a year now :)
but I'm glad you are all so concerned.:bluethum:

#13 · (Edited)
i replaced the gaskets and it helped but i am new to bikes and when i open the throttle my bike sounds loud and wierd it doesnt sound like a bike should. it happens around 4000 to 5500 rpm i dont know exactly when. does anyone know what might be wrong. or am i just imagining things and its normal for an 04 suzuki sv650s. and i dont know if its because of the k&n air filter.(the noise is hard to explain the best i can do is that it sounds like an exhaust leak) any help will help please

#15 ·
i i dont know if its because of the k&n air filter.(the noise is hard to explain the best i can do is that it sounds like an exhaust leak) any help will help please
Any "help" you get here isn't likely to be much help.

This is one of those situations where you need an experienced rider or mechanic to be right there and listen and/or ride the bike.

My guess: For your setup it's probably normal.......but that guess in no better (or worse) than the next one and all of them are probably pretty much worthless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.