Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    In Training
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard M50 2006

Engine clicking sound

Hello everybody!
    First of all I would like to thank you for helping me making my mind and buying the M50! I have been reading for a long time posts on this forum before visiting the dealers. I wasn't sure what bike I wanted, but now I am the proud and happy owner of a gorgeous blue brand new M50.
    I have done almost 3,000 km since June and and the bike runs better every day! I just love it!
    Now, this bike is the first fuel injected I have ever driven and I would like to know where does the clicking sound come from when the engine is running? It has been like this from the beginning and didn't change. The bike had 0 km when I bought it and passed the 1.000 km inspection with no issues. Is this sound normal to the M50s? Is it the fuel pump that makes this noise or what?
    Thanks' for helping me clarifying this.

Have a beautiful sunny weekend!
    See you around!

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    M50
    On start up I get a little noise but once the bike warms up everthing sounds normal. You might want to get the valves clearance checked.
    Gone to Mexico brb

Top Gear ! Full Throttle!
    My Bike(s)
    '06 M50 Black

I had my 1st inspection done by the dealer when I hit 1000 km and also thought I heard some ticking in the beginning but now I don't hear it anymore.

In The Zone
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Yamaha Vstar 950
    I have heard a lot of people talking about the bike making clicking noises while running, it is normal for this bike to make some noise while running,(the noise is quiet and you get used to it) yes mine does it to, but if it is a loud ticking then you need to have your valves checked as stated above.

M50 Manual

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    -Benjamin Franklin-

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    Thanks' for replying!
    The valves are supposed to be ok since the dealer told me he checked them at the 1.000 km inspection. The sound is not very loud and resembles more to the noise a garden irrigation system makes, the ones that turn around, equipped with a little plate with a spring that splashes the water like twice per second. (hell of description )
    The bike has plenty of power and runs excellent, but this noise is driving me crazy! Not the noise itself, but the fact I don't know where is it coming from! The dealer also said it is ok...

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    07 Suzuki M50
    That sound is probably the fuel injectors firing. FI's are little solenoids so when they open they click. I had an 86 BMW 325 a few years back and the injectors sounded like an empty coffee can with marbles in it. I always wondered if my valves were out of adjustment.

If you wanted, take a long screwdriver and place the end of it on the injector while it's idling. Then put your ear on the handle and you will clearly hear that ticking sound, just make sure it's the same sound you have been hearing, only louder.
    Nate
    07 M50

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over lousy fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average of the world’s great civilizations before they decline has been 200 years. These nations have progressed in this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; from faith to great courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to Complacency; from complacency to apathy; from apathy to dependency; from dependency back again to bondage." -Alexander Fraser Tyler, Cycle Of Democracy (1770)

"Loud pipes save egos" - N.H.

Where Am I ?
    yup, that the injectors firing, cars do the same thing.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    That sound is probably the fuel injectors firing. FI's are little solenoids so when they open they click. I had an 86 BMW 325 a few years back and the injectors sounded like an empty coffee can with marbles in it.
    I think this is the best description of the sound I hear. And now I realize that this sound is present too at my car's engine, so this must be it!
    This weekend I rode around 600 km and the sound was clearly audible at speeds under 60km/h. Above this speed I can't hear anything because of the wind. What I have noticed: the sound seems to be stronger when the engine is hot than when the engine has just been started (cold). Is this normal?

NateHarris, where exactly should I put the screwdriver's end to hear the sound? I don't really know where the injector is...

Thanks'!

In Training
    My Bike(s)

seems to be valve noise...

Hello again!

I couldn't resist and I went to the dealer to see where the noise is coming from. The mechanic listened the engine and concluded that the noise comes from the valves and that it is the normal noise I should hear. He told me that the engine sounds very well and that I shouldn't worry. He also told me that I should worry if there is no noise coming from the valves.
    So, I will wait another 9.000km (until the 12.000 km inspection) to have the valves checked.
    Does your engine have valve noise too? Is it really normal for those bikes to have noisy valves even when in specs?
    Thanks' for the feedback!
    See you around!

TurtleWax Taster
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50
    Every 'Zuki I've had has been noisy like this. My '07 M50 makes a little chatter too. Listen to the mechanic for sure.

hmm, why would the injectors of a gasoline engine click THAT loud? on a diesel i could understand, but on gasoline???

valve clearances are likely the biggest spot that you'll get clicking sounds from - simply because you have to have space between the metal bits to allow room for expansion when hot (unless an engine uses hydraulic lifters, or a rotary valve).

In Training
    My Bike(s)

is it too noisy?

Hello again!

I still have the same noise. Not any loud or quiet. The same noise level.
    Today I took two videos so you could actually hear the engine sound:

YouTube - 2006 Suzuki Boulevard M50 engine sound 01
    YouTube - 2006 Suzuki Boulevard M50 engine sound 02

The bike hit 7.000 km today. What do you think, should I take it to the dealer for a valve adjustment now or should I wait another 5.000 km to the second major service?
    Does the engine sound noisy to you? Compared to your own M50's engine sound?

Thanks for suggestions!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by draf View Post
    I still have the same noise. Not any loud or quiet. The same noise level.
    Let's review a bit, OK?
    The dealer told you (at least) twice that this is normal valve noise.
    Several folks here have told you that this is normal valve noise.

I didn't listen to your recordings because one can't get a true impression from a recording.

YOU NEED TO LIGHTEN UP and enjoy riding your bike without worrying about this NORMAL CLICKING NOISE that is present in every engine ever made, to varying degrees.

It is more noticeable with a motorcycle because there is (MUCH) less between the engine and your ears.

Chill, ride, enjoy!
    Don't believe everything that you think.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    05 Blue M50
    I sure hope thats normal because its pretty much the WAY MINE SOUNDS!

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50 Candy Grand Blue with 67,550 miles since May 18th 2006
    draf,
    Mine sounds just like yours and it has sounded like that since day 1.
    I have almost 31,000 miles on mine. Just ride that thing,Man stop worrying so much. It's an awesome bike. Have fun!
    Like Greg said ,valves have to have a little room so there is going to be some noise.
    ~mike
    Twenty years from now,you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do ,than by the things you did.
    Get out there, go someplace,see something new,try something different!

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

Ads