Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2008 C90 SE

Mid size cruiser comparison

Check out this mid size cruiser comparison review.

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...rison-3972.htm
    Ride Safe
    Hammersfan

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

TurtleWax Taster
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50
    Good stuff. I can't say this surprises me in any way, though. I did 2 years of research. I almost jumped at the Kaw, but decided to stick with my gut. Good stuff

MO has some of the downright best motorbike reviews anywhere! ha! i love those guys.

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    '07 Suzuki M50 Limited, '73 Honda CB550
    Good review. Put that together with the Cruiser Mag review last summer fall of the C50 and Vulcan 900 and you see why I ended up with the M50 (well, add in the fiance's inclination toward sportbikes to be fair).
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. Aristotle

'07 Suzuki M50, Corbin Dual Tour with Backrest, Kuryakn SwingWings, 2 1/2" lowering bones, Jeff's Riser Spacers, NGK Iridium Plugs, Amsoil Synth 10w30

Want's A New Title
    My Bike(s)
    2012 Yamaha XT 250 (dual sport)
    Very cool.

But we all knew this already...that's why we're riding them!

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    2008 C90 SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Apertureguy View Post
    Very cool.

But we all knew this already...that's why we're riding them!
    Not me, I just got lucky
    Ride Safe
    Hammersfan

U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    Boulevard M50
    Great article, thanks!

'05 M50 black
    MAPAM backrest
    Corbin dual tour
    Highwayman Jumbo Straight Bags
    Johns Kit forward controls
    Debaffled exhaust

Burnt

Love my M50

Quote Originally Posted by hammersfan View Post
    Check out this mid size cruiser comparison review.

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...rison-3972.htm

I had researched for a year or so, so I agree with this review. All of these bikes were on the top of my list. But my Black M50 kept me coming back.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    '07 M50 Limited
    I wonder why they didn't throw a V-star in the mix...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmiz View Post
    I wonder why they didn't throw a V-star in the mix...
    too small (650) and too big (1100)

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    M50
    I wanted the Hayabusa, but got this piece of Sh*(.

Gone to Mexico brb

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    '07 M50 Limited
    Quote Originally Posted by GregR1 View Post
    too small (650) and too big (1100)
    Excellent point.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Boulevard M50 2006
    What I don't understand is why Vulcan's valve check interval is set to be at 15.000 miles while M50's is at 7.500? What makes the difference?
    And why the maintenance schedule goes up to 24.000 miles to Vulcan and the M50's only to 15.000? Does this mean that after 15.000 miles you don't have to do any maintenance or what? In the M50's owner's manual the last check is to be done at 14.500 miles or 48 month whichever comes first...
    Any ideas?
    Ride safe!

Top Gear ! Full Throttle!
    My Bike(s)
    '06 M50 Black

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2007 M50 Black
    Quote Originally Posted by draf View Post
    What I don't understand is why Vulcan's valve check interval is set to be at 15.000 miles while M50's is at 7.500? What makes the difference?
    And why the maintenance schedule goes up to 24.000 miles to Vulcan and the M50's only to 15.000? Does this mean that after 15.000 miles you don't have to do any maintenance or what? In the M50's owner's manual the last check is to be done at 14.500 miles or 48 month whichever comes first...
    Any ideas?
    Ride safe!
    It depends what type of valve assembly you have as well as what type of motorcycle you own and how hard you ride your motorcycle. If you have hydraulic self-adjusting valves like the Harley's, Honda Shadow 1100s, Kawasaki 1500s(eg. Mean Streak), etc. you don't have to ever check or adjust your valve clearance. If you have the 'shim (under or over) buckets like many of the GSXR/RR motorcycles, Harley V-Rod, Honda Silverwing 600cc scooter, Honda Goldwing 1800.. you inspect them approximately every 16,000mi.

Manually adjustable screw valve lash requires more frequent attention. Motorcycles like the BMW R-series mandatory adjustment every 4000mi. Honda Rebel 250 mandatory inspection every 4000mi although I've been told the inspection is to verify that valve clearances are within tolerances and usual valve adjustment is 12,000mi. Sooner if not within tolerances. Same with the M50, it will be inspected and adjusted if necessary as you mentioned. If valves are within given specs, it will be left 'as is'.

Cost of convenience has a price For the most part hydraulic valves should be trouble free, almost maintenance free like shaft drive compared to a chain. As posted in this forum there are those who have had problems with their M50 shaft drive and it's not as simple as swapping chain and sprockets or apply lube to the chain vs. lubing the shaft drive. On many GSXR/RR bikes -Removing the cam shaft to swap out shims on 16 valves is also very expensive unless you do it yourself. Then you have to buy the shims of correct size to bring your bike within specs. Some of those 16 valves after 16,000mi may still be within specs, but you still have to remove the camshaft even if you have to replace 1 shim. If you're riding the GSXR/RR bikes hard and you hear 'clicking noises' in your valve assembly, you may need to replace shims sooner than 16,000mi. Regarding self-adjusting hydraulic valves which are maintenace free; if the Kawasaki Mean Streak developes an oil leak and you need to replace a gasket --you need to remove the engine from the frame to get to the gasket

There are many other variables involved, but this is a short answer as to why some bikes have longer intervals between servicing valves.

Ads